Seized driveshaft

Morks

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have an Adams driveshaft in the rear of my tj. I took it out for my dana 44 swap and was not able to slide it. It is only 5-6 months old in the vehicle at most and was greased during that time frame of use. Tried jacking up my jeep with the driveshaft and can not move it... Any ideas on how to get it moving so I can tear it apart and clean it? Thanks

Last edited:
my adams driveshaft did the same thing on a similar timeline. greased at install and at a couple of times before having to remove it and noticing it was seized

Reactions: Morks
I have an Adams driveshaft in the rear of my tj. I took it out for my dana 44 swap and was not able to slide it. It is only 5-6 months old in the vehicle at most and was greased during that time frame of use. Tried jacking up my jeep with the driveshaft and can not move it... Any ideas on how to get it moving so I can tear it apart and clean it? Thanks
Ratchet strap on pinion end.

Same issue. I spent four hours separating the two pieces... didn't work right...sent it back and they were gracious enough to send me another.

I would like to know what I did wrong.

Guessing I hyper extended the shaft jacking up the Jeep and messing with the control arms.

-Mac

Same issue. I spent four hours separating the two pieces... didn't work right...sent it back and they were gracious enough to send me another.

I would like to know what I did wrong.

Guessing I hyper extended the shaft jacking up the Jeep and messing with the control arms.

-Mac

That is good to hear, if it comes down to it hopefully shipping isn't too bad with the duty to Canada. Had a buddy on the football team from the states bring across all my parts!

I'm an outside observer with no interest in either beyond having bought Tom Woods, I've seen a lot more threads with issues related to Adams than I have for Tom woods shafts. Adams does seem to try to replace them, but I'd rather not have that need to begin with. Now I'm thinking a forum poll might be worth while with a few options to see if I've just read too much bias.

I'm an outside observer with no interest in either beyond having bought Tom Woods, I've seen a lot more threads with issues related to Adams than I have for Tom woods shafts. Adams does seem to try to replace them, but I'd rather not have that need to begin with. Now I'm thinking a forum poll might be worth while with a few options to see if I've just read too much bias.

Definitely, something I'd like to see as much as I do maintenance on my jeep I don't want to be down there 3 times a month greasing the crap out of it...

Definitely, something I'd like to see as much as I do maintenance on my jeep I don't want to be down there 3 times a month greasing the crap out of it...

I'm running out to a movie but will post one later tonight if no one else does. I'm thinking options like:

* Local shop
* Local, with issues
* Local, with issues but fixed
* Tom woods
* Tom woods, with issues
* Tom woods, with issues but fixed
* Adam's... Same, any others to include?

I'm running out to a movie but will post one later tonight if no one else does. I'm thinking options like:

* Local shop
* Local, with issues
* Tom woods
* Tom woods, with issues

Denny’s?

Reactions: rasband
I'm an outside observer with no interest
Same here but a little more so, I wonder if it's the seal type? I know there are two but beyond that it's greek to me. Like a few things, I'd go with the Woods simply because somebody from the shop takes the time to post here. I don't really think there's that much difference between them but the fact that Shawn takes the time to post means something to me.

Same here but a little more so, I wonder if it's the seal type? I know there are two but beyond that it's greek to me. Like a few things, I'd go with the Woods simply because somebody from the shop takes the time to post here. I don't really think there's that much difference between them but the fact that Shawn takes the time to post means something to me.

A major ding to the Tom Wood's credibility is those dumbasses from @garagecouple being hosted!

* Local shop
* Local, with issues
* Tom woods
* Tom woods, with issues

I use Tom Wood and see no reason to change.

Many YouTubers use JE Reel

Brought it to the local off-road shop and I put it in a big vice and beat the crap out of it and it eventually came off. Not sure how the other driveshaft brands are in regards to the grease nipple. However, the Adams is at the back towards the u-joint, so, at least in my case, when I pump grease into it it just sits in the cavity towards the back when it's not getting its full usage (travel) and never gets properly lubricated. This means I need to do some more wheeling to avoid other costly issues :)

Likely grease related. Grease can form a good seal and make it very difficult to separate the two halves due to vacuum action. And if over-greased it can prevent the shaft from being compressed more.

I made a video of my troubles getting the shaft apart...never bothered to put it on YouTube...but if y'all want the video I'll post it...

-Mac

IMG_20220228_192519846.jpg

Just to throw mine in the mix. I have Adams front and rear and no problems. I did have send 2 Toms front shafts back and then got a refund because the balance was never right. Had vibrations with them in, but not with the adams.