Selling a Jeep, whats it worth?

I wouldn't worry about the title. Newer car owners care about bullshit like carfax and salvage titles but these things are old enough it means less and less. You can set the price around what other clean title Jeeps in your area are selling for with equivalent frames. You'll always be able to find an educated buyer that has seen a few rusty frames in their search.
Regardless it's not a 15-20k Jeep "out west"

@srimes said it would list for 15K out west and he is correct:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/claremont-2000-jeep-wrangler-tj/7324133656.html
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/bakersfield-98-jeep-wrangler-tj/7328863827.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/colton-2004-jeep-wrangler-tj/7320107202.html
That's a two second search, maybe you don't really know the market "out west."

Reactions: JLLJ and srimes
I wouldn't worry about the title. Newer car owners care about bullshit like carfax and salvage titles but these things are old enough it means less and less. You can set the price around what other clean title Jeeps in your area are selling for with equivalent frames. You'll always be able to find an educated buyer that has seen a few rusty frames in their search.

@srimes said it would list for 15K out west and he is correct:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/claremont-2000-jeep-wrangler-tj/7324133656.html
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/bakersfield-98-jeep-wrangler-tj/7328863827.html
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/colton-2004-jeep-wrangler-tj/7320107202.html
That's a two second search, maybe you don't really know the market "out west."
LOL...

He or she said it would list for 15-20k...easy....

I'm not located in fantasy borough.
I live in reality township.

What that means is actually selling it.
I don't give a shit what something is "listed" for.
Are we trying to get self awarding, self serving medals here by how much we can list something for? 🙄

If in fact what you're arguing
(r title, modified) really means nothing or little...

Then by all means enlighten me....
Show me completed sales of these reconstructed machines actually netting 15-20k.

When you show me that I've got some worn out BFG's that are hard to find right now...i think I'll list these hot cake tires for 3 grand.

LOL...

Are we trying to get self awarding, self serving medals here by how much we can list something for? 🙄

Show me completed sales of these reconstructed machines actually netting 15-20k.

When you show me that I've got some worn out BFG's that are hard to find right now...i think I'll list these hot cake tires for 3 grand.
I'm with you 100%. I guess sellers are looking for idiots.

LOL...

What's your source for private-party used car transactions? Enlighten us.

I said what they list for, and these jeeps are selling so they're not so high that no one goes and looks at them. Do I agree with the prices? About as much as I agree with the price of lumber. $8 2x4s seem absurd but people make the market so if that's what people are willing to pay so that's what it is.

Most who know TJ’s know a rebuild when correctly done is just as worthy as one that hasn’t been.
Apparently YOU don't or just aren't smart enough to know any better. :unsure:
p.s. I have some swamp land in Florida for a good price if you're interested? I have a legal bill of sale written on a napkin.

Last edited:
Apparently YOU don't or just aren't smart enough to know any better. :unsure:
p.s. I have some swamp land in Florida for a good price if you're interested? I have a legal bill of sale written on a napkin.
Ok , since what, 85% of those that embrace TJ’s modify or build them, you’re saying a rebuild is not worthy?
Don’t understand that reasoning.
If I find ANY vehicle I desire, after full satisfactory inspection, it doesn’t matter to me if it’s been rebuilt.
Perhaps I misjudged other’s opinions on this.
As for my not being smart, that’s your assessment.

Rebuilding a Jeep is rebuilding a Jeep no matter why it's rebuilt.

The friggin' R title is totally something else. It just lowers the price no matter what.

My hate for the existence of R titles in general, not any particular vehicle, is another topic.

And here is the Discussion on Rebuilt and Salvage Titles thread I just started

Reactions: TheBoogieman
It seems that many on this post are out of touch with the current used Jeep market.

Currently on the PHX CL there are 21 TJ's for sale.

They range from $8k for a1997 4 cyl w soft top to a 2005 LJ Rubicon hardtop for $32k.

A year ago there were plenty of sub $10k TJ's on the market.

Reactions: srimes
It seems that many on this post are out of touch with the current used Jeep market.

Currently on the PHX CL there are 21 TJ's for sale.

They range from $8k for a1997 4 cyl w soft top to a 2005 LJ Rubicon hardtop for $32k.

A year ago there were plenty of sub $10k TJ's on the market.

Rough but not terrible YJs start at 5k now. Clean YJs are 8k. Prices have exploded vs. last year. Can still find deals from sellers who haven't kept up but you'd better be quick.

Not saying it should be this way but it is what it is. I wouldn't pay 60k for a new truck either but a lot of people are. The market is what it is. I look around and see significant inflation all over. The economic reports just haven't caught on yet.

Reactions: L J
"I wouldn't pay 60k for a new truck either but a lot of people are"

I just laugh at the fools that spend that kind of money on a truck.

Paid $800 for a Rust Free AZ 77 Chevy C20 Camper special 350 T400 with 116K on it back in 17.

We have about $2k into it- Tires, Rebuilt drive shaft, reseal on the Turbo 400 input seal (it had set for 3 years) , a 16k trailer hitch and a fresh windshield.

Runs great hauls just about any thing, I regularly put 1.5 tons of gravel in the bed and tows our tractor but not at the same time.

Put nearly 25k miles on it so far.

"I wouldn't pay 60k for a new truck either but a lot of people are"

I just laugh at the fools that spend that kind of money on a truck.

Paid $800 for a Rust Free AZ 77 Chevy C20 Camper special 350 T400 with 116K on it back in 17.

We have about $2k into it- Tires, Rebuilt drive shaft, reseal on the Turbo 400 input seal (it had set for 3 years) , a 16k trailer hitch and a fresh windshield.

Runs great hauls just about any thing, I regularly put 1.5 tons of gravel in the bed and tows our tractor but not at the same time.

Put nearly 25k miles on it so far.
guess you can laugh at me and my 60k truck... as it hauls your gravel AND tows your tractor at the same time.

Just love it when people get all high and mighty because they are happy spending jack shit for a crappy old truck and they think that makes them better somehow than someone who buys something newer.

You be you and buy what you can afford / makes you happy, but stop thinking that somehow makes you better than other people who can afford to and do spend more.

guess you can laugh at me and my 60k truck... as it hauls your gravel AND tows your tractor at the same time.

Just love it when people get all high and mighty because they are happy spending jack shit for a crappy old truck and they think that makes them better somehow than someone who buys something newer.

You be you and buy what you can afford / makes you happy, but stop thinking that somehow makes you better than other people who can afford to and do spend more.
I laugh at those who care how other people spend their own money

tenor.gif