Selling house while working from home

P man

Keister Bunny
Staff Member
Supporting Member
We have our house listed. My wife works from home. We had the first showing today so my wife and I decide she should take an early lunch and leave while the other realtor shows her client around.

The problem arises when the realtor is 1 hour late and the client is 1.5 hours late. Now my wife feels like she can't go into her own home and work.

I am guessing we need to set certain time blocks for showings and be firm about it.

What have you done? I am worried about losing a potential sale by limiting showing times but we have to keep our sanity and jobs as well.

Can you reserve a Wework (wework.com) until your house is sold? You can reserve those on demand on the days you have a showing.

She works for a large hospital and has to have a secure, direct connection.

We have talked with our realtor and set some time boundaries and explained that 1.5 hours late isn't acceptable (although it wasn't her).

She agreed and we are moving forward. I appreciate the replies

This^^^
A 1:00 appointment is a 1:00 appointment, not 2:30 or whatever the realtor feels like.
I work with/around real estate and appointments are firm.
Realtor needs to get on-board with this.

I agree 100 percent..wether I'm looking at a house or going to a Dr appt I'm 15-30 minutes early..that is on time as far as I'm concerned.

You (the homeowner) can also be present within your home. Just limit interactions, keep it professional and small talk if any.

Reactions: P man
My wife works from home as well. She just made it very clear to the realtor that her schedule is strict and if someone is late or wants to view the house outside of a certian window, then they could not enter the home office. We had to remind her of that a couple of times but once the realtor realized that my wife could not just leave at a moments notice, she was very good at making sure perspective buyers were on time or could not view that room. We even had a sign up saying "DO NOT ENTER HOME OFFICE IF DOOR IS CLOSED"

My wife works from home as well. She just made it very clear to the realtor that her schedule is strict and if someone is late or wants to view the house outside of a certian window, then they could not enter the home office. We had to remind her of that a couple of times but once the realtor realized that my wife could not just leave at a moments notice, she was very good at making sure perspective buyers were on time or could not view that room. We even had a sign up saying "DO NOT ENTER HOME OFFICE IF DOOR IS CLOSED"

I would do this. Just give them a time window: All day during the weekend, a block of time during the week. If they want to see it outside of those blocks, you can allow it and not give them access to the office.

Is the market cooling off a bit? Last house we sold, we listed on Friday, said the weekend was wide open and we would review offers on Monday. Took the kids on a weekend trip to the mountains and came back having had 27 showings and multiple offers over asking. Made me wish I could have sold every house that way but I realize 2021 will probably be remembered as a unique time in real estate.

Is the market cooling off a bit? Last house we sold, we listed on Friday, said the weekend was wide open and we would review offers on Monday. Took the kids on a weekend trip to the mountains and came back having had 27 showings and multiple offers over asking. Made me wish I could have sold every house that way but I realize 2021 will probably be remembered as a unique time in real estate.

The housing market in my area is cooling off. (PNW). I am hoping to sell before the market tanks

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Even with rising interest rates the demand in our area has been fairly steady. Spring/summer I think the market picks up a bit.

Yes. With increasing interest rates and proposed new tax increases, in my opinion tankage is about a year down the road. Maybe sooner.

There is going to be alot of people with a shit ton of negative equity in my neck of the woods if you are correct..here in PNW houses were selling for stupid prices a year ago

Even with rising interest rates the demand in our area has been fairly steady. Spring/summer I think the market picks up a bit.

I'm hoping the spring weather will bring some serious buyers. We have had some lookers but no offers. We have the home priced high for the area though.

Reactions: tworley