Selling the hard top

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Decided to get rid of the hardtop, the frameless Rampage fits like a stocking on a chickens lip! just been through the worst of a Perth winter with torrential rain and hail and not one leak. I don't need to sell it but its now just an anchor taking up space I don't have, and to be honest it would be a struggle to get it back on if I wanted it next winter anyway.

Also I think all the bad reviews on the Rampage frameless must have been from those who didnt pay the extra for the heavier sailcloth version? It flapped a bit at highway speed so I put 2 pool noodles above the spider shade between the roof and its stopped most of it, I will buy a door to door roof bar when I get around to it.

If you don't think you'll use it, let it go. I bought one for the TJ and it's still sitting where I left it after the purchase. Your experience with the frameless Rampage top is better than mine. I ran one, like @TheBoogieman , for about 2 weeks and hated it. 🙃

If you don't think you'll use it, let it go. I bought one for the TJ and it's still sitting where I left it after the purchase. Your experience with the frameless Rampage top is better than mine. I ran one, like @TheBoogieman , for about 2 weeks and hated it. 🙃

Yep, I went through 3 tops in 2 years from Rampage (all replaced under warranty), had nothing to do with flapping or noise... had EVERYTHING to do with the stitching and the strap webbing deteriorating and the top then failing to stay on the Jeep or together.

I'm now 4 years into the Bestop Trektop NX... no issues at all!

Hardtop I would never take ours off.

I like to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Quite while driving, talking on the phone or listening to the stereo.
Keeps the interior clean when off road which is every time I leave the house driving to the county paved road.
Security I do not worry about leaving my 45 in the jeep, when I have to go into a gun restricted area like the county court house or other posted location.
When the monsoons dump rain it stays nice and dry inside.

Soft top none of the above.

• Haha
Reactions: Hokahay and rasband
Decided to get rid of the hardtop, the frameless Rampage fits like a stocking on a chickens lip! just been through the worst of a Perth winter with torrential rain and hail and not one leak. I don't need to sell it but its now just an anchor taking up space I don't have, and to be honest it would be a struggle to get it back on if I wanted it next winter anyway.

Also I think all the bad reviews on the Rampage frameless must have been from those who didnt pay the extra for the heavier sailcloth version? It flapped a bit at highway speed so I put 2 pool noodles above the spider shade between the roof and its stopped most of it, I will buy a door to door roof bar when I get around to it.

If you sell it, you'll need to change your avatar. Forum rules. Ask @AndyG, he'll fill you in on the forum rules.

If you sell it, you'll need to change your avatar. Forum rules. Ask @AndyG, he'll fill you in on the forum rules.

Yep-several forms need filled out to to do a different top designation. Got to be in by the 30th, cut off date.

Remember to contact your Regional
Director guys if you run soft tops in summer and hard tops in winter so he can advise the date to do that-

Man this is a lot of work. I need an assistant.

Last edited:

Keeps the interior clean when off road which is every time I leave the house driving to the county paved road.
Security I do not worry about leaving my 45 in the jeep, when I have to go into a gun restricted area like the county court house or other posted location.

So...you want it to be like every other car? :giggle:

I've not looked back after selling mine, zero regrets. Something must be wrong with @JPHikr 's heater core (or they've never taken the hard top off) because I can get mine plenty cold and hot whenever I want - seriously the TJs heater/AC are miles better than anything else I have been in, it doesn't get wet. Granted I don't care for talking on the phone and don't all that often, nor do I need to carry such a large piece.

When I had a CJ I fantasized about having a hard top- And it certainly would have been an improvement over the soft top technology of the time- Or absence of technology. They started figuring things out with the YJ and the TJ was really the first jeep soft top system that did not really need any significant improvement. As a matter of fact Jeep formed the YJ track system into the tub rails of the TJ, it worked so well.

I have a hard top and it’s nice and I got it because it was sort of the fulfillment of a long-term desire- But I haven’t had it on in maybe a year or more- It is sort of an impediment to getting the top removed to me- I would say I do 80 % of my driving with the top removed.

It seems more TJ owners are quick to sell hardtops than on any other jeep model- especially the later models- but I may be a little out of touch on all that.

Last edited:
I think if I wanted my TJ to be a DD I’d want a hard top, but as it’s basically a toy I don’t need one.

Hardtop on for 7 months, off for 5 months. Might stretch that this year with the seat heaters. I like hardtops. The look is really clean. I had a bad experience with a soft top. No interest in dropping $1k+ every 10 years for a nice soft top. I can still see some benefits to having one. Whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: RINC

@AndyG, is there a way to have false advertising show up only in a red font? :unsure:

My 4yr+ soft top experience:
Almost too much heat available with top and doors on and plenty of AC even with the doors (and windows) off sometimes.
"Clean" interior when off road IF the windows and doors are closed.
Monsoon rains stay out IF the windows and doors are closed. OK Ohio doesn't get monsoons but it's never been wet from the heavy rains here.

The hard top probably is quieter than the soft top while driving but "quiet" is really a luxury car term and I bet the TJ hard top ain't that luxurious. As for security, I never keep anything that needs to be secured in my Jeep but if I had to there are at least a few options available for that.

I did think about getting a hard top when I first bought my Jeep but after the first winter those thoughts stopped. I also thought about it when branches and/or other random stuff is getting dragged over or across the soft top. Honestly, from some of the sounds I've heard I can't believe my 11 yr old Bestop doesn't have any rips or tears. I'm also pretty sure a hard top would have suffered some damage and a broken side window because it sure wouldn't have flexed like my soft top did so I don't really think about hard tops at all any more.

Reactions: John Cooper
@AndyG, is there a way to have false advertising show up only in a red font? :unsure:

My 4yr+ soft top experience:
Almost too much heat available with top and doors on and plenty of AC even with the doors (and windows) off sometimes.
"Clean" interior when off road IF the windows and doors are closed.
Monsoon rains stay out IF the windows and doors are closed. OK Ohio doesn't get monsoons but it's never been wet from the heavy rains here.

The hard top probably is quieter than the soft top while driving but "quiet" is really a luxury car term and I bet the TJ hard top ain't that luxurious. As for security, I never keep anything that needs to be secured in my Jeep but if I had to there are at least a few options available for that.

I did think about getting a hard top when I first bought my Jeep but after the first winter those thoughts stopped. I also thought about it when branches and/or other random stuff is getting dragged over or across the soft top. Honestly, from some of the sounds I've heard I can't believe my 11 yr old Bestop doesn't have any rips or tears. I'm also pretty sure a hard top would have suffered some damage and a broken side window because it sure wouldn't have flexed like my soft top did so I don't really think about hard tops at all any more.

Ha ha 😂😝😝

Well I really see both sides because I have both and if I daily drove it and security was a big issue I’d use my hard top in the winter more likely-

I never run a hard top off road , too fragile around trees-

Also some areas of the country have harsher climates-so I can see strong feelings for both- I’m just really pleased that the soft tops are good enough that it’s even a strong argument.

Reactions: RINC
Yep-several forms need filled out to to do a different top designation. Got to be in by the 30th, cut off date.

Remember to contact your Regional
Director guys if you run soft tops in summer and hard tops in winter so he can advise the date to do that-

Man this is a lot of work. I need an assistant.

Watch out for question #47 on the form:

47. Why did you switch tops?

There was a guy a few months ago. Mods didn't like that he went from a soft top to a hard top because he couldn't hear his new Justin Bieber album. Guy got banned. They even sent a few ex-military members to repo his TJ and replace it with a JLU.