SEMA Show 2022

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Today is the first day of this year's SEMA Show in Las Vegas. I took a lot of photos today and in this first post I'll start with TJ's, LJ's and some similar tub Jeeps (YJ and CJ). There weren't many TJ/LJ/YJ/CJ Jeeps at the show (no surprise) but for the second year in a row it seems that there are more Broncos here than Wranglers. Last year I counted and it was about 2:1 Bronco, it seems about the same this year.

Yukon Gear had a bunch of TJ/LJ Jeeps at the show.

YukonGearLJ1.jpg

YukonGearTJ1.jpg

YukonGearTJ2.jpg

YukonGearTJ3a.jpg

YukonGearTJ3b.jpg

Check the grille:

YukonGearTJ3c.jpg

They also were showing this CJ:

YukonGearCJ1.jpg

There's a big focus on electric vehicle technology at the show and a special area of the show they're calling SEMA Electrified. This TJ was in that section.

ElectricTJ1.jpg

ElectricTJ2.jpg

ElectricTJ3.jpg

Battery packs:

ElectricTJ4.jpg

eBay Motors has a big presence at the show, it seems they're trying to build their parts business and as a part of that they had Ian Johnson build a YJ pickup sourcing parts on eBay when possible.

eBayYJPickup1.jpg

eBayYJPickup2.jpg

eBayYJPickup3.jpg

This low-key LJ was in the Bestop display.

BestopLJ.jpg

A stretch CJ-5, one of two at the show (I'll post the other one in another post).

CJ5Stretch1b.jpg

CJ5Stretch1a.jpg

I took lots of photos of overlanding gear and builds, so those might not be as interesting to the folks on this forum. Also there were lots of overlanding/camping trailers here this year, far more than I've seen here in previous years. More to come if people are interested.

Yeah, I watch the RockstarGarage YT channel where I first found them. Still trying to finger out The 'Gram though.

I don’t really watch YT but I’m on gram for photographers and off-roaders but it’s getting to be a lot of wantabe influencers all doing the trend of the day with no real intelligence on display.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Look out for this one. This video popped up on my YT stuff. I think old @Zorba would enjoy it also. Too bad it's not a gas motor though.

That Jeep was built by Greg Henderson for Quadratec and I played a role in the project - a few months ago Greg called me and was looking for something to put on the rear wall of the cab, behind the seats. Since I did the seat-back bag design for the Quadratec YJL he did a few years ago, he was thinking I could come up with something for him. We talked for a while and settled on a MOLLE panel that would hang on the rear cab wall, with a row of MOLLE-mounted pockets across the panel and storage bags (the same ones I did for the YJL project, except in black this time), that hang on the bottom of the panel with zippers. Here's what I did for him: top photo is the MOLLE panel; second photo is the panel with the pockets attached and the third panel shows one of the three bags that can hang on the bottom. It's made from heavy-duty black canvas and all the brown accents are leather.

SEMA22Project.jpg

I haven't even seen it in the Jeep yet - I was at the unveiling today but there was such a crowd I decided I'd stop by and see Greg tomorrow when things calmed down a bit and I could get some photos of the system in the Jeep. Stay tuned, hopefully I'll have photos tomorrow.

QTPickupUnveil.jpg

BTW: These are the seat-back bags I did for the Henderson/Quadratec YJL build:

asfeaturedin-jpg.224578

I like the overland/ camping gear! Maybe post some photos in another sub-forum!
I'll be going through all the photos I took over the next day or two and will post many more, including some of the overlanding/camping ones.

Thanks for the pictures. This is an event on my bucket list.

Someday I need to go.

The SEMA Show has always been an industry-only event but two years ago SEMA instituted a new program where anyone could get into the show on the last day. They charge $70 for it up to about a week before the show and I think $100 after that, and one day really isn't enough time to see the whole show but if you plan ahead and know the areas you want to see it can work.

I think this is my 12th year attending the show (well actually 11 years because 2 years ago there wasn't a show due to the pandemic. I'm a SEMA member and I became one because of all my design work for MORryde, Gr8Tops and others so I can go to the show and participate in other SEMA events. The show is actually a very productive event for me, for example today I met with MORryde and we discussed a few designs I've done that will likely become MORryde products in the future and also today I met with a compressor company - I'm working on a design for a suspension airbag management system and a very small compressor is part of that design and the company offered me a compressor at the end of the show (it's a display unit in their booth and they need it until the show is over).

AirBagCompressor.jpg

More SEMA photos to come, stay tuned.

I think this is my 12th year attending the show (well actually 11 years because 2 years ago there wasn't a show due to the pandemic. I'm a SEMA member and I became one because of all my design work for MORryde, Gr8Tops and others so I can go to the show and participate in other SEMA events. The show is actually a very productive event for me, for example today I met with MORryde and we discussed a few designs I've done that will likely become MORryde products in the future and also today I met with a compressor company - I'm working on a design for a suspension airbag management system and a very small compressor is part of that design and the company offered me a compressor at the end of the show (it's a display unit in their booth and they need it until the show is over).

Would like to hear more about this suspension airbag management system since I've got the AiRock system on my TJ.

Also been looking at some MORryde products for my motorhome.

I use to know a few people who could get me into SEMA but have lost contact with them.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC
This is Quadratec's "JTe". It started life as a 4-door JL, and custom builder Greg Henderson turned it into this 2-door pickup.

QuadaratedJTe1.jpg

QuadaratedJTe2.jpg

QuadaratedJTe3.jpg

As I wrote yesterday, Greg called me a couple of months ago and the result was this cargo system that mounts on the rear wall of the cab. It's a cab-width MOLLE panel with 4 MOLLE pouches, plus bags that can either hang on the bottom of the panel or zip to the seat back. The pockets are still a little crushed from shipping, I think Greg installed them just the other day.

QuadaratedJTeBags1.jpg

The seat-back bag is visible in this photo:

QuadaratedJTeBags2.jpg

Outside the West Hall is the annual Quadratec Giveaway Jeep. Every year now they build s Jeep using products from many of their suppliers; this year's includes a range of products that I designed for Overland Outfitters. This video is a summary of the many products that went into that Jeep; the link below starts at the Overland Outfitters section but you can rewind it to the beginning to see everything that went into the Jeep.

When I was taking the photos above Rob Jarrell (QT's video host) saw me and came over to compliment me on the on the general design of the OO products. I thanked him for doing great videos and he said "it's easy to sell such nice products". A very nice compliment to hear :)

Here's another one of his product videos.

More SEMA stuff to come later today, just wanted to get all the Quadratec action I was involved in out of the way.

This is the MOPAR Jeep area at SEMA, there's also a Dodge area in the central hall.

MOPARJeepArea.jpg

There really wasn't much to see and in this area, nothing new, so I didn't take too many photos. They were featuring their electric concepts, including the stretch CJ-5 "Surge" concept.

SurgeConcept.jpg

SurgeConcept1.jpg

SurgeConcept2.jpg

SurgeConcept3.jpg

The Magneto JL 2dr concept was also on display but since there are so many photos if it floating around on the internet this is the only photo I took of it:

Magneto.jpg

I did find these Rotopax mounts on one of the other concepts curious, they're part of the roll bars, permanently welded in place. I wonder why they did that? Has anyone welded mounts to their roll bars?

WeldedRoto1.jpg

WeldedRoto2.jpg

Sorry that's all the photos I took in the MOPAR space but there really wasn't anything new.

Other interesting Jeeps at the show...

This flatbed was in the Crown space. Also there's a flatfender behind it.

CrownFlatbed.jpg

And this flattie was in the Bestop booth. Lots of patina here.

BestopFlatfender.jpg

And even more patina on this FC:

FC1_aE8D9wpAd6Q3QtV7yaMH1e.jpg

Fc2.jpg