SEMA Show 2022

That's in the central hall "Hot Rod Alley" area, I haven't gotten there yet. Will explore that area this morning. In the meantime...

A few new and products and other interesting things at SEMA this year. Not all of these products are for the TJ/LJ but I'm including them because versions of these products could be done for the TJ/LJ if the companies decided there was a market for them on those Jeeps.

A company called ProjectX has a new line of refrigerators. This 99-quart model is huge(!) and I don't think would have a place in a Jeep:

ProjectX99Qt.jpg

That one is $1649.99. They also have a 41-quart model at $999.99 MSRP:

ProjectX41Qta.jpg

ProjectX41Qtb.jpg

I've got two Dometic 35-quart fridges so I compared the dimensions of those to the 41-quart. In Dometic's case, their 40 is just taller than the 35 but with the same length and width. ProjectX has made their fridge two inches longer than the Dometic, but it's pretty much the same height and width. I'll have to measure but I don't think I have that extra 2" in my Jeeps so if I wanted to upgrade to a 40-qt, I'd probably have to stick with Dometic, although I do like the design of the ProjectX fridges.

ProjectX has also introduced LED headlights with integrated 4k UDH cameras:

ProjectXHeadlights.jpg

Maybe a nice idea, but it doesn't look like they are aimable. I did a lot of design and testing in the process of developing the TrailVision camera system that Retrofit Offroad picked up and marketed and I don't think cameras in the headlights is the optimal place - in my experience, cameras focused on the outside of the front tires are most useful - here's a screen shot from the camera system in my LJ; a camera in the headlight would not give you an accurate enough view to closely miss this boulder.

SaxonBoulder_zpshwlkybts.jpg

The headlights/cameras are $1699 per pair and rated at 3000 lumens.

Rhino Rack was showing a prototype changing room.

RhinoRackChangingRoom1.jpg

There are a number of changing rooms on the market but Rhino has come up with a very simple mounting system for the rails and I like their idea better than the others I've looked at. The rails simply slip onto posts that mount to the rack. They weren't sure if this will become a product, but I do like the design idea.

RhinoRackChangingRoom2.jpg

Attica was showing side-mount fenders with removable storage boxes for the JT Gladiator.

AtticaJTSideBoxes.jpg

A storage box removed:

AtticaJTSideBoxes2.jpg

Not sure if something like that will catch on but it does add storage in a place that typically isn't used for storage. I've heard this idea before - some years ago someone contacted me on one of the forums with the idea to build front fender flares for the TJ that had storage boxes behind the wheel arches/in front of the door opening. He wanted me to make molds for them but it wasn't an idea I was interested in and I don't to work for hire anyway so I declined to take part. I don't think he ever got them made.

Attica was also showing a tailgate cargo box. This one is for a Bronco, they didn't tell me if they planned it for Jeeps.

AtticaSpareBox.jpg

Not sure if that will catch on either, where do you put the spare that it displaces?

Seasucker was showing a suction cargo mount system. They let me play with one of the mounts and I can say they're easy to stick in place and impossible to pull off as long as suction is maintained. They say the 6" mounts grip to withstand 200 lbs. of pull. One of the variations they were showing was is a Rotopax mount:

SeaSuckerRotopax1.jpg

SeaSuckerRotopax2.jpg

They also were showing a roof rack, a table, tool mounts and a number of other accessories.

SeaSuckerRack1.jpg

SeaSuckerRack2.jpg

SeaSuckerTable.jpg

SeaSuckerShovel.jpg

Until I can test something like this myself on the trail, I'l remain slightly skeptical, but they assure me they're secure. In general I like the idea (pending proof through testing).

If you're wondering about the name "Seasucker", they got their start in the marine business.

Overland Vehicle Systems was showing a jumper cable bag.[/img]

OVSJumperCableBag.jpg

It caught my attention because I just started using a $5.00 military surplus gas mask bag for the same purpose:

GasMaskBag1.jpg

The OVS bag is a nice option if you can't find a surplus gas mask bag :).

They were also showing a new compressor kit.

OVSCompressorKit.jpg

Like every other compressor bag on the market, you need to take the compressor out to use it because inside the bag the compressor won't see enough airflow to keep it cool. What I like about my current compressor bag is that because it opens on the diagonal so the compressor can stay in the bag when being used because there's plenty of airflow. MY compressor is mounted to the bottom of the bag so not only do you not have to remove it to use it, it stays in place when the bag is open. I'll stick with my bag.

CompressorBag2.jpg

Hazard4 was showing a Molded Storage headliner for the JL and Gladiator.

Hazard4a.jpg

I sat in their display Jeep and it wasn't in the way of my head (I'm 6'6") so maybe it would be a useful place to store things.

They also were showing a mounting system for storage bags, using metal clips instead of the more traditional MOLLE straps.

Hazard4b.jpg

More SEMA reporting to come.

More on the electric Scrambler.

ElectricScrambler1.jpg

ElectricScrambler2.jpg

ElectricScrambler3.jpg

ElectricScrambler4.jpg

The motor assembly looks like a nice replacement for a V-8:

ElectricScrambler5.jpg

Battery:

ElectricScrambler6.jpg

The dash. Gauges are (left to right) battery level, speedo/tach/several temp gauges, power level and volts.

ElectricScrambler7.jpg

BTW notice how there's nobody in the show? I have a badge that lets me onto the show floor before the show opens, it's the best time to see things - no crowds ot get in the way of photos :).

Lots more SEMA stuff to come.

More on the electric Scrambler.

View attachment 373114

View attachment 373115

View attachment 373116

View attachment 373117

The motor assembly looks like a nice replacement for a V-8:

View attachment 373118

Battery:

View attachment 373119

The dash. Gauges are (left to right) battery level, speedo/tach/several temp gauges, power level and volts.

View attachment 373120

BTW notice how there's nobody in the show? I have a badge that lets me onto the show floor before the show opens, it's the best time to see things - no crowds ot get in the way of photos :).

Lots more SEMA stuff to come.

The batteries look like they go where the old gas tank was through the floor to the cab. But that's probably because it still uses driveshafts.

I was watching a walk-through on YouTube last night. Saw a complete EV drop-in package that looked pretty interesting. Dude in the video said 400+ horsepower. I wouldn't necessarily want it for a Jeep, but I think an old 50's Chevy pickup would be the perfect platform for an EV hot rod.

I was watching a walk-through on YouTube last night. Saw a complete EV drop-in package that looked pretty interesting. Dude in the video said 400+ horsepower. I wouldn't necessarily want it for a Jeep, but I think an old 50's Chevy pickup would be the perfect platform for an EV hot rod.

An EV hot rod at the show:

ElectricHotRod.jpg

A drop-in:

ElectricDropIn.jpg

This isn't a new product, but I'll show it here in case people aren't familiar with it. From the Autometer booth:

AutometerDash.jpg

Yesterday morning I posted about the suction cup cargo system from SeaSucker. Later yesterday I found this one from China, similar but better:

Suction2.jpg

The cups are electric. Instead of pumping a button to increase the suction, you push a button and an electric pump inside the cup does it. And what's really nice about them is that they sense if suction is being lost and automatically pump when needed. Two AA batteries inside.

There are lots of LED lighting vendors at the show; Metra was showing a very comprehensive line of lighting and wiring accessories:

Metra.jpg

Two things caught my eye at Metra - the 8-gang switch panel that looks the same as the Auxbeam switch panels I've posted reviews of here, and the 500amp relay isolator - looks perfect for setting up a dual battery system. I'm going to see if I can get one.

Metra1.jpg

And speaking of Auxbeam, they're going to send me some LED headlights to review. The first pair below has "halo" turn signals/DRLs which require additional wiring connections and the second pair has a rotating RBG halo and a few other features including Bluetooth control and no extra wiring - they're plug-and-play.

QP005972.jpg

QP000081.jpg

These lights don't fit in with my vision for any of my Jeeps, so after using them to write the article I'll probably make them available if anyone wants something like this for their Jeep.

I've got maybe a hundred more photos to go through but not much time right now but I'll get to posting more soon.

The SEMA Show is now over. I left about 1pm on Friday because the halls were quickly becoming jammed with non-industry people. Not that I have anything against those people, but the crowds were so thick that you couldn't really talk business anymore. At 1pm, the line for these people to get in (at $100 each I believe) was about a half mile long, just at the West Hall. There were lines over at the other halls too.

I picked up the small sample compressor from the compressor company and they also gave me a larger second one. I'll be experimenting with both of them for my airbag suspension project.

AirBag2Compressors.jpg

Yesterday the Quadratec JTe pickup went to Moab to do some offroading and photography. I was invited to go along with my LJ and join the fun on the trails and the photography but I decided just to head for home. It didi sound like fun to join them but I've got too many projects going on and I need to get home. I left SEMA with 3 new projects for MORryde, one from the compressor company, plus projects already on my list - the headlight project from Auxbeam, a small project for Overland Outfitters and a few of my own. Lots to get done.

A company I work with occasionally is thinking of getting into the roof top tent business and they asked me for some information on the market, the types of tents out there and for some ideas on an RTT design that might set them apart from the crowd. I took these photos at the show to share with them.

A new trend in RTTs is the what I'd call the combination hard shell. The hard shell hinges up and the tent comes out the side.

4x4Colorado1.jpg

4x4Colorado2.jpg

Another growing trend is the vertical lift RTT. Smittybilt was showing this one.

SmittybiltRTT.jpg

This vertical lift from James Barroud has a matching awning.

Barroud1.jpg

A close-up of the tent-entry from under the awning.

Barroud2.jpg

Speaking of awnings, Rightline Gear was showing what I'd call a parasol awning. It attaches to a roof rack with velcro straps and looks like it breaks down very small.

RightlineAwning.jpg

There were a few Gladiator bed replacements at the show, this one from RocTank has a tilt-up RTT on top:

RocTank.jpg

Another Gladiator sleeping solution, this one from Pittman Outdoors:

PittmanOutdoors2.jpg

Also from Pittman is this tilt-up:

PittmanOutdoors.jpg

I only saw one tilt-up that had awnings over the side windows for rain protection. There were a lot of tilt-ups at the show and almost all of them were like the one above - I guess you'd have to zip the side windows closed in the rain. Seems like a big drawback - all windows should have rain protection.

A double tilt-up from Tuff Stuff Overland. Nice idea but very little rain protection on the windows.

TuffStuffOverland.jpg

The benefit of the double-tip is the space inside - on a single tilt the hinge side is unusable, can't even put your feet all the way to the end.

By far the most common type at the show, and there were a lot of them, were the single tilt-up style. But most of them would be no good to me, at 6'6", I wouldn't fit in them. They're also fairly narrow, almost none of them are as wide as a queen bed, for example. The single tip-up is a nice idea but almost every example I saw at the show would be too small for me.

Another trend is what I'd all a "traditional" RTT, like mine below, but in a much smaller size. There were a number of those at the show too but I didn't take any photos of them. Designed for smaller vehicles maybe, they don't look like they'd be comfortable for two normal sized Americans.

This is my RTT, shown on a camping trip in Death Valley. It's an older design but what I like about it is the size - the sleeping area is about 7' long (I'm 6'6) and almost as wide as a queen bed, so it has more space inside than any of the ones above.

StovepipeWells1_zpsyyoe315h.jpg

The only thing that's a bit of a pain with mine is the travel cover, it takes a bit of work to put it back on.

Titus1_zps0yjxpdbl.jpg

But for now I'm not trading mine on one of the newer trending models above, I like all the space I've got inside.

Next up: The only thing at the show that came close to matching the number of Broncos there were the overlanding/camping trailers. I'll go through those photos and post them next.

I'm writing this from my room at the Glenwood Hot Springs Resort. We're taking the "northern" route home through Utah/Colorado/Nebraska/etc. and Glenwood Springs is a good first day's drive from Las Vegas. Got here late afternoon and enjoyed the hot springs in the evening, after breakfast will spend some more time in the hot pool and then head east.

I couldn't believe how many overland/trail camping trailers were at the show this year. In prior years, there might have been a few or maybe a half dozen but this year there were literally dozens. Here are a few.

From Addax with Jeep branding:

AddaxTrailer2.jpg

AddaxTrailer1.jpg

AddaxTrailer3.jpg

Bundutec:

BunduTek1.jpg

Alpine:

AlpineTrailer.jpg

Let's Go Aero:

LetsGoAeroTrailer1.jpg

LetsGoAeroTrailer2.jpg

Canyonland Coach:

CanyonlandCoach1.jpg

Campworks, on display in the SEMA Electrified section:

Campworks1.jpg

Campworks2.jpg

Roam Adventure:

RoamAdventure1.jpg

Off Grid Switchback:

OffGridSwtichbackTrailer.jpg

Smittybilt:

SmittybiltTrailer.jpg

Mission:

MissionTrailer.jpg

Patriot:

Patriot1.jpg

Terra Rover:

TerraRover.jpg

Sno Trailers:

SnoTrailers1.jpg

Vorsheer XOC:

VorsheerXOC.jpg

This one is a frame only, it's to show off Timbren trailer suspensions:

TimbrenTrailer.jpg

There were many more trailers at the show, this is just a sampling.

I'll conclude my SEMA coverage with a few random things.

Need some secure storage in your headrest? These should fit Wrangler JK/JL and Gladiators. Comes in black, tan and two shades of gray. $489 MSRP. Spacing of headrest posts is adjustable and the posts lock into the seat with toggle-type wall anchors. They also sell a matching headrest with no compartment ($119 MSRP) in case you want both headrests to look the same but don't need both to have storage in them. https://www.theheadrestsafe.com/, No such solution for the TJ because of the TJ's integrated headrests.

HeadrestStorage.jpg

Inspired Overland was showing a tilt-up roof top tent (one of the dozens of tilt-ups to be seen at the show) and the Jeep in their display had this shower tank. Only the tank was on display, no hose/nozzle. The guy at the booth at the time I walked by didn't know anything about it except he said a pump was an option. It's not on their web site (https://www.inspiredoverland.com) and maybe it isn't even their product. That's all I know.

InspiredOverlandShower.jpg

This isn't a new product this year but it was on one of the Jeeps in the "Overland Experience" section of the show. It straps to the top of the spare. The Jeep was a JLU with stock tailgate hinges and it was very wobbly. A MORryde tailgate reinforcement and HD hinges is a must if you're going to use this.

SpareRack.jpg

Winbo Manufacturing is a Chinese company that makes Jeep accessories. I can see the conversation between the boss and a worker over in China before the show: "Wang, many Jeeps at SEMA will have jacks mounted on their racks. Please make up a mount and put a jack on our rack for the show". Wang: "Yes sir, boss, I'll get right on it." But apparently Wang has never seen a HiLift...

WinboJackMount.jpg

It's a shop floor jack. Can you imagine trying to roll one of these under the Jeep on the trail?

I mean no disrespect to the Chinese in this, I've done work with a number of Chinese companies over the years and I've always found the people I work with very worthy of respect. But seriously, a shop floor jack mounted on the rack?

Edit: @Apparition just told us that this jack is actually intended to be used off road. Still, I can't imagine it. Just lifting that monster up onto the rack seems like it would be a chore :)

I spotted this propane tank cover at the show:

PropaneBag.jpg

It looks very nice, but I'm still trying to decide if if serves a useful purpose other than the collect dust. It's not insulated, but perhaps it moderates the temperature when the sun is hitting the tank? Maybe if you store the tank loose inside the Jeep is rattles less? Not really sure of its purpose but it does look nice.

I designed a propane tank carrier that mounts to the MORryde HD hinges (either JK or TJ hinges) so maybe I'll sew a cover like that just because I like the look of it. My tank on the MORryde hinges on my trailer:

RearDoorGear1.jpg

Since Overland Outfitters is soon to be releasing the "Sparehopper" spare bag I designed, I kept an eye open for other spare bags. Found these two:

SpareBags.jpg

Personally I don't like the styling of the bags that are on the market, which is why I designed mine the way I did. I wanted a little more defined shape, and a retro look reminiscent of the actual "trunks" that were on the back of cars in the '20's and '30's with lids secured by leather belts.A few days before leaving for the show I received a preproduction sample from Overland Outfitters so I installed it and it's been on the LJ for the whole trip. At end of the trail to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on the way out to SEMA:

GrandCanyon.jpg

One last photo:

FridayLine.jpg

I took the photo at about 1pm in the lobby of the West Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center and the photo doesn't really do the line justice. The line goes all the way to the horizon at the left and all the way to the windows at the right - based on the side of the West Hall I'd estimate that the line is about a half mile long. Those are people waiting to pay $100 to get into the show on the last day. By the people at the back get to the front of the line it might be 2pm or later, and on Friday the show closed at 4pm. It takes at least 15 minutes to walk to the North Hall, not to mention the Central Hall or the South Halls. Free advice: If you plan to go to the show on the last day, I think you can pay in advance (only $70) and pick up your badge on a shorter line (or maybe have it mailed to you, I'm not sure).

As a SEMA Member, my badges (mine and a spouse badge) showed up in the mail on August 29.

That's it for this year's SEMA coverage, I hope you found it useful or at least enjoyed it. I'll repeat the process next year.

Last edited:
Winbo Manufacturing is a Chinese company that makes Jeep accessories. I can see the conversation between the boss and a worker over in China before the show: "Wang, many Jeeps at SEMA will have jacks mounted on their racks. Please make up a mount and put a jack on our rack for the show". Wang: "Yes sir, boss, I'll get right on it." But apparently Wang has never seen a HiLift...

View attachment 374679

It's a shop floor jack. Can you imagine trying to roll one of these under the Jeep on the trail?

The pro eagle is meant to be used off-road.

https://www.proeagle.com/collection...6KAfKxaK1E9HjLqmt19eblkYGyO-7fzcaApVkEALw_wcB

Reactions: L J

I have had the ProEagle for a few years now and love it. And now Harbor Freight has ripped it off...

But I hope everyone remembers their jack stand issues/recall, their fix action, and then how they were still having issues and recalled them again.🤡
I believe they were recalled three freaking times.

https://newsroom.harborfreight.com/product/automotive/2022/11/harbor-freight-tools-introduces-badland-3-ton-off-road-jack-at-sema-in-las-vegas

an obvious rip off/clone

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
I have had the ProEagle for a few years now and love it. And now Harbor Freight has ripped it off...

But I hope everyone remembers their jack stand issues/recall, their fix action, and then how they were still having issues and recalled them again.🤡
I believe they were recalled three freaking times.

https://newsroom.harborfreight.com/product/automotive/2022/11/harbor-freight-tools-introduces-badland-3-ton-off-road-jack-at-sema-in-las-vegas

an obvious rip off/clone

Thanks for the link, I needed a new jack.

Kidding.

Reactions: Fouledplugs