Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
Okay, so this is my very first post on this forum (which looks pretty awesome so far). What better way to introduce myself than to post a how-to for fellow Wrangler TJ owners.

Anyways, I live in a pretty sketchy area and sometimes leave my Wrangler out at night. Because of that, I want to make sure it's as safe as possible from potential thieves. Some of us Wrangler TJ owners were lucky enough to have the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) installed and setup from the factory. However, others of us weren't as lucky. For those of you that don't know what the SKIM does, let me sum things up in a nutshell: SKIM will prevent your Wrangler from being hot-wired or having a non-chipped key being duplicated and used to steal it. When a non-coded key is used it will kill your Jeep after about 2 seconds, therefore effectively preventing someone from stealing it.

It's not perfect by any means, but I would speculate that it's enough to deter most thieves from attempting to steal your Wrangler.

So, this little how-to isn't my own. I found it on another forum and figured I'd repost it on this forum since it helped me immensely with installing SKIM on my Wrangler TJ. That being said, enjoy!

Parts
I bought the below keys and module to help deter the theft of my Jeep. Please consult with your Jeep dealer using your VIN # to determine part numbers specific to your vehicle. The following part numbers came from my receipt and are for a 2005 Wrangler TJ / LJ:

Key Blank # 5018699AA
SKIM Module # 56010209AD

IMG_3894.jpg
IMG_3901.jpg

The SKIM keys are grey and thicker than the black non SKIM keys.

Installation
Once you get the parts together remove the top and bottom half of the steering wheel covers, by removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the steering wheel as indicated. There are 2 screws at the base of the steering wheel...

IMG_3907.jpg

and 2 screws on each side of the steering column and dash piece. The dash screws are longer and thinner so keep them separate from the steering screws. The panel has two metal clips at the top so you need to pull lightly and they will pop out once the screws are removed.

IMG_3906.jpg

Once you have all that removed take your module and place the ring over the ignition. It slides over snuggly and seats up against the back of it...

IMG_3896.jpg
IMG_3897.jpg
IMG_3898.jpg

Then rotate it down as needed to slide the clip onto the steering column support...

IMG_3895.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg

Take note of the small plug not being used and snip the tape holding it to the harness...

IMG_3892.jpg

That is the plug that will be used by the dealer... DO NOT PLUG IT IN!!! Just remove the tape to make access for the dealer easier.

Now drive to your dealer of choice. They will need your VIN to get the PIN code to program your keys. They just enter it in their computer and it pulls it up. No need to call anyone. They will need the DRBIII tool for 05 and newer or scan gauge for 04 and older.

Once they have the proper tool and code they will need to take that loose plug and connect it to the SKIM module and activate it first by placing your VIN in the module via their tool.

Once the SKIM module is recognized/activated they can place the key in the ignition, turn it on, (Not start) and enter the PIN code and hit "yes". If you have more than one key they just repeat the previous sentence. Now you are done.

When you start your Jeep with a key you will now see the yellow/orange "No Key" symbol next to the cruise light on your dash. It will stay on until it sync's the key and module/computer. One of 2 things will now happen, the light will go off and let the Jeep continue running because a good key is being used or stay on and shut off the Jeep because a non-chipped key or bad key was used. It will do this in about 2-3 seconds.

IMG_3902.jpg

If you brought your screwdriver with you you can place all the plastic back together or go home and finish it up.

I bought 3 keys. The reason is that if you have one key go bad you can replace it and program it yourself as long as you have 2 working keys. If you only have 2 keys and one goes bad you have to have the dealer program the new key.

To program a new key if you have 2 good ones, you simply place one good key in the ignition and turn it all the way on but do not start it. You repeat this with the second good key, then you use the new key and your all set. This procedure is in your owners manual. The system will keep track of up to 8 keys.

If you want to test to see if your Jeep shuts off after the install is complete, take your old key and start the Jeep. It should shut if in about 2 secs. DO NOT do this several times. After the 3rd or 4th unsuccessful attempt, it will lock you out of the computer and your Jeep will need to be towed to the dealer. Im not sure on the exact number of tries but it will lock you out if you do this too many times.

For information on the two methods used for programming the SKIS keys, check out this thread: SKIS (SKIM) Sentry Key Programming.

Absolutely fantastic write-up! I was planning on doing this to my Wrangler TJ as it seems like a pretty good theft deterrent.
It works much better than folks expect it to. We still have our 04 after finding it at the end of the street with the doors open and the ignition yanked out. We didn't live in a sketchy area, but we did live in an area closer to Mexico than was prudent for car thefts.

This is an absolute must for me. Even though I always keep the Jeep garaged, I would like the piece of mind.

Interesting, in the UK, factory-fitted immobilisers have been mandatory on all new cars since 1998 (for insurance purposes) so its very rare to see a TJ model which doesnt have one fitted over here.

I went the easy way. I installed a Vandal Alert passive immobilizer. No wiring and consists of only two parts. I replaced my starter relay with the Vandal Alert radio controlled starter relay and that was it. It comes with a remote control. If you don't use the remote the Jeep won't start even with the key. A would be thief will never know where to look or how to bypass the system.

http://www.shop.cyclopsantitheft.com/main.sc

I went the easy way. I installed a Vandal Alert passive immobilizer. No wiring and consists of only two parts. I replaced my starter relay with the Vandal Alert radio controlled starter relay and that was it. It comes with a remote control. If you don't use the remote the Jeep won't start even with the key. A would be thief will never know where to look or how to bypass the system.

Hey, that's a good solution!

Reactions: Frank
I would have done it sooner if it wasn't for the huge laundry list of projects I have around the house, haha.
I finally found a vender with the part number I needed and called my local dealership. They said there is no module that will work with my 1998 TJ Wrangler as it "Doesn't have the security alarm module" in the PCM.. Dang.

I finally found a vender with the part number I needed and called my local dealership. They said there is no module that will work with my 1998 TJ Wrangler as it "Doesn't have the security alarm module" in the PCM.. Dang.
I'm pretty sure that isn't correct. All 98 up to current should have SKIM in the PCM. One way to find out is pull the knee bolster and see if you can find the small plug folded back and taped to the main harness. If you have the plug, SKIM can be activated.

I'm pretty sure that isn't correct. All 98 up to current should have SKIM in the PCM. One way to find out is pull the knee bolster and see if you can find the small plug folded back and taped to the main harness. If you have the plug, SKIM can be activated.
Here is how today went down:

Took apart the lower portion of the dash and found the exact plug needed for the SKIM module, yay. I drove to the Jeep dealership where none of the service techs had any idea on if they could program it or not. I finally got in contact with someone who worked on the TJ's back in their day and he said that if Chrysler did not have SKIM installed on my TJ then I would need more than just the SKIM module to make it work. He said if I was seriously considering it to contact a third party key company and have them check it out - he provided one a little ways away. I gave them a call and they were very hesitant to say yes or no to any of the questions I was asking - for good reason. He said he has the equipment to do SKIM keys but can't guarantee in any way it will work if my PCM was not originally set up to use SKIM. He said even though the wiring harness is there, the PCM may not have the module inside to control SKIM. He said if I wanted to give it a shot it would be $140.00 in labor to attempt to program a key (With absolutely no guarantee or refunds if it didn't work) and each programmed key would be $50.00 each (OEM keys). He said "I don't want to sway you, but I would urge you not to attempt to install SKIM in a vehicle that wasn't setup for it and go with a simple kill switch".

Again I am not a genius, so I don't know if there was or wasn't a PCM difference.

Thoughts? Its hard to find quality answers..

Reactions: Chris

Since I have a 98 also I might have to go this route. Right now I have no doors nor top on, and no anti-theft and to top it all off the steering wheel doesn't lock. The least I can do is immobilize the starter. I was considering a brake line lock too. Oh and figuring out what happened to the steering wheel lock.

Took apart the lower portion of the dash and found the exact plug needed for the SKIM module, yay. I drove to the Jeep dealership where none of the service techs had any idea on if they could program it or not. I finally got in contact with someone who worked on the TJ's back in their day and he said that if Chrysler did not have SKIM installed on my TJ then I would need more than just the SKIM module to make it work. He said if I was seriously considering it to contact a third party key company and have them check it out - he provided one a little ways away. I gave them a call and they were very hesitant to say yes or no to any of the questions I was asking - for good reason. He said he has the equipment to do SKIM keys but can't guarantee in any way it will work if my PCM was not originally set up to use SKIM. He said even though the wiring harness is there, the PCM may not have the module inside to control SKIM. He said if I wanted to give it a shot it would be $140.00 in labor to attempt to program a key (With absolutely no guarantee or refunds if it didn't work) and each programmed key would be $50.00 each (OEM keys). He said "I don't want to sway you, but I would urge you not to attempt to install SKIM in a vehicle that wasn't setup for it and go with a simple kill switch".

Again I am not a genius, so I don't know if there was or wasn't a PCM difference.

At this point, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper just to go for the Cyclops unit? Looks pretty painless and basically does the same thing.

At this point, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper just to go for the Cyclops unit? Looks pretty painless and basically does the same thing.
Pricing is not that different, less than 50% cost difference between them. Its a really unique system but those key fobs get trashed if they get wet or even dropped (One drop can kill them easy). Since they are the ones that design the remote you would more than likely have to pay a hefty fee for another one. Why spend $150.00 on a security measure that when it fails you put the original relay back in until you can get another remote. If it was like a chipped key I would be all for it, but those key fobs are the devil.

Also it does the exact same function as a kill switch that's manually wired in & hidden.

Again I am considering all options but thought if I had the SKIM feature and it only cost $60.00 for the module and $140.00 to program a key to it, the security practicality would be pretty solid. The situations appears like it may not pan out though.

All 98 to current Jeep PCM's should have SKIM in the PCM. The SKIM function is there, but it is only activated when the SKIM module is plugged in. Once you plug in the module, it needs to be in the presence of someone with a DRB that can program the keys and make it all work. I am not aware of any non SKIM capable PCMs after 97. I have added SKIM to at least 20 rigs including one that was in the Virgin Islands. It was a 99, he lost his only SKIM key and there were no techs on the islands that could work on it. He next day aired me his PCM and SKIM module, I installed it in my rig and my buddy with a DRB came by and we programmed 3 keys to it and shipped it back the same day.

Best advice is do not mess with anyone not at a dealer unless you know for sure that they can do it. Find a dealer that can.

All 98 to current Jeep PCM's should have SKIM in the PCM. The SKIM function is there, but it is only activated when the SKIM module is plugged in. Once you plug in the module, it needs to be in the presence of someone with a DRB that can program the keys and make it all work. I am not aware of any non SKIM capable PCMs after 97. I have added SKIM to at least 20 rigs including one that was in the Virgin Islands. It was a 99, he lost his only SKIM key and there were no techs on the islands that could work on it. He next day aired me his PCM and SKIM module, I installed it in my rig and my buddy with a DRB came by and we programmed 3 keys to it and shipped it back the same day.

Best advice is do not mess with anyone not at a dealer unless you know for sure that they can do it. Find a dealer that can.
Great advice, thank you. I'll check around.