Setting up a kill switch (hidden in plain sight)

I remember back in the 90's when I was studying to be an Electronic Tech and I had to come up with an project so I built an alarm system for a door using the same concept. And then watching Mad Max (the original) and I saw his kill switch and I thought that would be awesome.

Reactions: Ephry73 and CodaMan
After having my wife's XJ stolen earlier yesterday morning, I will be looking into installing a kill switch (or switches) on most or all of our vehicles. My Charger and her CR-V have alarms, but the XJ (it was retrieved!), my son's Blazer, and my old Dodge truck will be getting something added for security. I love the idea @CodaMan has laid out here. However, I'm not the greatest when it comes to understanding wiring. Be that as it may, I'll seek help with it, as I think this is a splendid idea. I guess great old threads never die! (y)

nice job, but i've not got much patience when it comes to wires, but try and do my own work.

it could be as simple as a toggle switch inline with the ignition wire.
i'm considering a single main power kill switch for if the worst should happen and i flop it.
but it could double as an anti theft if it's not recognizable, though i'd bet most won't like the radio and clock needing reset every day.

After having my wife's XJ stolen earlier yesterday morning, I will be looking into installing a kill switch (or switches) on most or all of our vehicles. My Charger and her CR-V have alarms, but the XJ (it was retrieved!), my son's Blazer, and my old Dodge truck will be getting something added for security. I love the idea @CodaMan has laid out here. However, I'm not the greatest when it comes to understanding wiring. Be that as it may, I'll seek help with it, as I think this is a splendid idea. I guess great old threads never die! (y)

@Squatch, let me know if you need any help. We can work it together.

Here's my modification to the idea.

Put the switches on the dash in the factory locations. Label them with stuff that is believable, like front/rear lockers, etc...

Combine that with a hidden, in some way, ignition switch.

So you would flip the switches to the correct positions, turn the key to on, and then hit the ignition switch. Good luck theives.

Thanks, @CodaMan. I do appreciate it. Gotta do something to prevent this from happening again. It's a sickening feeling to experience something like this. Just sickening.
I agree i need to do this sooner than later. I get worried leaving it in parking lots even for brief stays.

Reactions: Squatch
Thanks, @CodaMan. I do appreciate it. Gotta do something to prevent this from happening again. It's a sickening feeling to experience something like this. Just sickening.

Yeah it sucks. I've woken up to 2 vehicles missing over the years. One a 4X4 Suburban that I owned less than 4 weeks and another a 4X4 Toyota Pickup. The Suburban was found stripped, I had full coverage and actually made $2,500 on the payout. The Toyota only had liability and to this day has never been recovered.

Last edited:
My son was having fun with a bunch of his friends in the woods campground, they cannot find the kill switch of my TJ.
I felt glad and proud (safer) then knowing that 8 people was not able to use (start) my jeep.
Kill-switch I think is a "must have" for all the Jeeps.

Reactions: CodaMan and Squatch
Yeah it sucks. I've woke up to 2 vehicles missing over the years. One a 4X4 Suburban that I owned less than 4 weeks and another a 4X4 Toyota Pickup. The Suburban was found stripped, I had full coverage and actually made $2,500 on the payout. The Toyota only had liability and to this day has never been recovered.
I'll never understand the mentality behind thievery. It's one thing to see something you wish you had, but it's another thing altogether to just take it. But you can almost bet that if the SOB had been caught, he still would probably have more rights than I do. But that's another subject, altogether.

I'm starting to rethink the whole insurance thing. I only carry liability on everything, including my '07 Charger R/T. Maybe it's time to step things up, as far as that goes.

Reactions: CodaMan
I'm starting to rethink the whole insurance thing. I only carry liability on everything, including my '07 Charger R/T. Maybe it's time to step things up, as far as that goes.

That's what I do now. The difference isn't much if your record is clean.

Wanna hear a good one? Greene County was in high speed pursuit of a car this morning around 2am. Deployed a Star Chaser (GPS sticky device that is shot at the vehicle) they backed off and tracked him via GPS to an address. Made the arrest. Its this guys second arrest for a stolen car in the last 19 days and he has 7 priors. How the fuck are they getting back out on the street so fast?

No justice in the system, jails are full, COVID 19 blah blah blah. It has to suck for LEO's right now. Probably the worst time in history to be in law enforcement. Feel for those guys and the shit they put up with.

I'll never understand the mentality behind thievery. It's one thing to see something you wish you had, but it's another thing altogether to just take it. But you can almost bet that if the SOB had been caught, he still would probably have more rights than I do. But that's another subject, altogether.

you should be able to put a catastrophic claims rider(theft,fire,act of god) on your current insurance.

Full coverage was only $3 a month more for mine.
Michigan sucks for insurance, they just changed out insurance stuff on the 1st of July. allowing us to opt out of the PIP coverage if we have health insurance. dropped our insuance $200/mo we now are only paying $168/mo for 3 vehicles full coverage.