Share your lift results with H&R springs

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Wondering if others could share their lift results with the HR springs. Especially interested in the front springs.

Please also share what extra weight you have on the TJ. I have a stock-light SE, so I'm trying to estimate how much lift they would give me.

Edit: Seems that I was also wondering this about 2.5 years ago. 🤣 At the time, I decided to go with Moog replacements.

Last edited:
Also found this thread:
  • @StG58, I think you put these on an SE, right? I think you got about 1.5" on front and back?
  • @cliffish also got about 1.5", but with a 4.0?
Found a few other users who installed them but they don't appear to be active anymore.

@JMT I think you tried these springs? @TJim I think you did too?

Last edited:
About 1 inch on average, depending on where I measured. The boring blow-by-blow is here, complete with measurements:

https://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/fifty.htm
M8000 winch with elevated bracket on stock bumper on front, a non-stock rear bumper that weighs 28.9 lbs heavier than stock, plus a 12 pound pintle hook assy. Otherwise stock for purposes of this discussion.

Reactions: SSTJ
Might not be relevant to the OP's TJ, but since we're sharing:

Stock LJ with hardtop, no additional weight, got 0.0" lift. Obvously the LJ is heavier than the TJ, but I expected at least a tiny bit of lift. I sold the H&Rs and installed 2" OME springs instead.

Yup, those have been on my TJ SE for awhile now. I like them.

About an inch and a half of lift.

Equally in both front and back? And I think your SE is about stock-light like mine, correct?

How much lift did you get with the OME springs?

I'll have to be a little more specific. OME sells these springs for a 2" - 2.5" lift:

DescriptionP/NRateFree Length
1997-06 Front (6 cyl) Stock/Light Load (0-90 lbs) 2.0"293214018.9"
1997-06 Front (6 cyl) Heavy Load (90-180 lbs) 2.0"293314019.49"
1997-06 Rear Light Load/Soft Top 2.5"294114015.53"
1997-06 Rear Medium Load/Hard Top 2.0"294114015.53"
1997-06 Rear Heavy Constant Load (220 to GVW) 2.0"294216014.96"
1997-06 Rear UNLIMITED Heavy Constant Load (220 to GVW) 2.0"294921614.57"

It's nice to have choices, but it's a little difficult to figure out which ones you need. You have to account for the weight of the vehicle, aftermarket parts like bumpers, winch, larger spare and spare carrier. At some point you might have to guess. I did.

I bought the 2932 front springs and the 2942 rear springs. The front got a 1" lift (which I had to supplement with a 1" spacer), and the rear got a 2" lift. For the LJ, I wish I had bought the 2933 "heavy" springs for the front.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Equally in both front and back? And I think your SE is about stock-light like mine, correct?

About. I worry way less about the numbers than I do about what works and what doesn't.

Everything but the carpet is out of the back of Blue. Replaced with a basket rack and two gas can mounts. There is also some gear that lives back there. The front end has a UCF aluminum shorty bumper, a light weight, high speed Sherpa winch, and a winch guard hoop.

Oh, and a two rifle gun rack in back.

1.25" in front settled to 1"
1.5" in rear settled to 1.25"

I added .75 spacers in front (not counting that in lift #s above) Leveled my rig with the spacers.
Steel bumpers, w/ steel cabled winch in front, rear seat/spare. Soft top w/ half doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58 and SSTJ
Another data point on the H&R springs.

Those were the springs in Blue when my blushing bride of 40+ years flew the Jeep. We were coming back from nine days in the backwoods, so the Jeep was...loaded. One and a half lane blacktop Forest Service road. Windy, down hill. We're were doing about 40 - 45, and enjoying the scenery. Up ahead were two safety orange stripes across the road. The side of the mountain had slipped a bit, and the road had a break in it. Maybe 6 or so inches. Just stared at it as the wife drove right over it. Full compression into the bump stops on both axles, followed by rebound - launching Blue into the air.

No damage to the springs or to the matching Bilstein shocks.

The H&Rs (1” lift springs) on a 2003 4.0L with no additional weight… no hard top increased 1” - 1 1/4”. Top view is stock height with stock 215/75R15 tires. Bottom view is with the H&R Springs & 31×10.5R15.

DA16593A-52FB-4762-84CE-2D5F94A2FC81.jpeg

5B99CE6A-5391-42FC-B0A6-E04450E0DC8E.jpeg

Yes.. what gave it away?

Looking identical to the ones we pulled out of the box this weekend for our jeep. Hahaha. How’s the ride quality with that combo? I’m seriously considering the H&R springs for what I hope will be a better carrying capacity but not a garbage ride. Stock springs are soft like marshmallow.

Looking identical to the ones we pulled out of the box this weekend for our jeep. Hahaha. How’s the ride quality with that combo? I’m seriously considering the H&R springs for what I hope will be a better carrying capacity but not a garbage ride. Stock springs are soft like marshmallow.

The H&R Springs are a lot better than the stock one that like you said were pretty soft. I dont carry any gear... just a grocery getter without a top and I run it primarily without doors so the she is running light but I dont even notice the springs... the combo seem just right for what Im doing... I cant really address how she would feel if loaded....

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The H&R Springs are a lot better than the stock one that like you said were pretty soft. I dont carry any gear... just a grocery getter without a top and I run it primarily without doors so the she is running light but I dont even notice the springs... the combo seem just right for what Im doing... I cant really address how she would feel if loaded....

That’s good feedback. Week to week “loaded” would back packs, band instruments, athletic bags, and whatever else a couple teenagers. Occasional bike rack and 2 mountain bikes. Maybe a 2 person camping trip once a year.

4 people, cooler, some recovery gear, and rocks :confused: my wife likes to "collect" rocks.. anyways we no longer bottom out and hit our bump stops on uneven terrain.

These are a great replacement for stock springs. These brought the Jeep back up to where it should have been or perhaps a little more.

Now if you are looking for lift, I would go a different direction. But then you start the snowball of tires, gears, steering, control arms, SYE, etc

I drag my jeep behind my motorhome, then we explore when get to the destination. 31s and H&R springs works for us.

Reactions: Zorba
4 people, cooler, some recovery gear, and rocks :confused: my wife likes to "collect" rocks.. anyways we no longer bottom out and hit our bump stops on uneven terrain.

These are a great replacement for stock springs. These brought the Jeep back up to where it should have been or perhaps a little more.

Now if you are looking for lift, I would go a different direction. But then you start the snowball of tires, gears, steering, control arms, SYE, etc

I drag my jeep behind my motorhome, then we explore when get to the destination. 31s and H&R springs works for us.

I’ve been down the lifted TJ rabbit hole a few times. Maintaining as close to stock height but not so squishy is the goal, on 31s. It’s a basic daily driver keep and I intend to keep it that way for the kids daily driving. I’ve got a winch for the front we got for free, basically unused so it’ll go on there. My Son really want it to be as capable as possible within in the stock or stockish parameters. So we may even entertain som high clear skids and things like that as well.

IMG_2044.jpeg