Colorado Shelf Road in Colorado, Your Thoughts?

Johnnie Hough

DW and I are making a trip to Colorado later in May, looking for things to do. I saw information on Self Drive. I looked at some of the on line reviews, from dangerous and you will die if you take it to a cake walk.
Your thoughts on Shelf Road? OR what not to miss.

Thanks

Last edited:
Shelf road you mean?

If so, then the key is to pay attention. A lot of wrecks happen because someone is gawking at the scenery and end up taking the high side before they realize what is happening. If you want to look--STOP, then take pictures. Another fatal accident happened when a woman was trying to get over a boulder, IIRC she gunned it and when the wheels grabbed it launched her over the edge.

Reactions: EJD and oldjeepman
DW and I are making a trip to Colorado later in May, looking for things to do. I saw information on Self Drive. I looked at some of the on line reviews, from dangerous and you will die if you take it to a cake walk.
Your thoughts on Self Road? OR what not to miss.

Thanks

A lot of the dirt road mountain passes will be closed in May.

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
If you want easy Jeeping, something like Aspen Ridge Rd, between Buena Vista and Salida is a great place to start. The off-road area around Buena Vista, Four Mile, is a good place to have fun too. Out of Leadville, Hagerman Pass is a scenic ride that is bumpy but not dangerous (not currently shown as open).

Aspen ridge Rd
P7210126-XL.jpg

Four Mile
P7260179-XL.jpg

Hagarman Pass
P7230022-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Phantom Canyon is a fun road to take.Very easy drive and the tunnels a cool. I have not driven the Shelf Road. If you are worried about those roads being open call the Canon City Ranger station and ask them. Lots of history in the area.

Both Phantom and Shelf are fun easy drives. FWiW, any SUV can handle them. The scenery is fantastic, though. Between the two, Shelf Road has the highest, longest shelf road. But the road is wide. Be sure to make a stop in Victor and walk around the old mining area just outside of the old downtown. It's a neat area.

Wife and I have taken Shelf Road in a Lexus RX350 a number of times. It’s a nice drive with fabulous scenery. Another great drive that’s easy is Old Stage Road out of Colorado Springs. It turns into Gold Camp Road up a few miles then skirts the south side of Pikes Peak and comes out close to Cripple Creek.

Last edited:
I rode this loop 2 days ago. Four wheel drive isn't reqjired when it is dry. Shelf road is the more primitive of the 2 and the scenery is fabulous. Phantom Canyon Road is mostly wide, well graded, and there are more people on this road. Shelf Road seems to run through privatly owned land. Phantom Canyon Road has a lot of camping, hiking, and fishing spots. I ate at McGills in Cripple Creek and it was ummm good.
20190720_081627.jpg