Sheriff's Posse & SAR

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Anyone here participate in the local Sheriff's Posse or their local Search and Rescue organization?

Ran into a Deputy here awhile back out in the boonies and we talked for a bit. Compared notes and what not. He invited me to join the local Sheriff's Search and Rescue team. Anyone here participate in that sort of thing?

I didn't even know it existed. Is this only for small towns or does it also exist for larger sheriffs departments such as Washington County?

Pretty much every county in Oregon has one, at least. I know that Clackamas has active SAR, and I think that Multnomah and Washington do, and Yamhill does. Tillamook may or may not. The local Sheriff their may just call up his buddies and say sic'em for all I know. The smaller counties pretty much depend on volunteers for SAR because they don't have a budget to hire a full time team. I was amazed at the quality and variety of free training available through the Yamhill County Sheriffs office to support the SAR folks. Some of it has been pretty advanced stuff taught by well known professionals in the field. Ham radio, man tracking, advanced wildland first aid...that sort of stuff. There was map and compass work, which is mandatory. Off road driving courses. I was actually surprised at what all was offered. Yamhill and Clackamas SAR has rescued or found a lot of people over the years.

Reactions: Chris
Pretty much every county in Oregon has one, at least. I know that Clackamas has active SAR, and I think that Multnomah and Washington do, and Yamhill does. Tillamook may or may not. The local Sheriff their may just call up his buddies and say sic'em for all I know. The smaller counties pretty much depend on volunteers for SAR because they don't have a budget to hire a full time team. I was amazed at the quality and variety of free training available through the Yamhill County Sheriffs office to support the SAR folks. Some of it has been pretty advanced stuff taught by well known professionals in the field. Ham radio, man tracking, advanced wildland first aid...that sort of stuff. There was map and compass work, which is mandatory. Off road driving courses. I was actually surprised at what all was offered. Yamhill and Clackamas SAR has rescued or found a lot of people over the years.

Sounds pretty cool! Maybe one of these days... You know, when the kids are more grown and I have some of that precious thing you call 'time'.

:D

Don't know specifics about Oregon other than they are part of Sheriffs Office -volunteers.
Utah has much the same thing--volunteers under the county sheriff. Salt Lake county's team was large! When I flew for that office we were constantly hauling S&R teams into the back country on rescues. With 13,000 foot mountains all around these guys were highly trained and performed outstandingly! Sure hated it when budget constraints cussed the Office to give up its Air Support Unit--so did the S&R folks. Many long hikes that were just minutes in a copter!

Reactions: StG58
Anyone here participate in the local Sheriff's Posse or their local Search and Rescue organization?

Ran into a Deputy here awhile back out in the boonies and we talked for a bit. Compared notes and what not. He invited me to join the local Sheriff's Search and Rescue team. Anyone here participate in that sort of thing?

I plan on doing that when I retire from my l/e job and move out west. Need to use my skills for something in retirement.

Reactions: Chris