She's rusty, but she's mine

RobertJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just a side by side comparison of my build so far. It's a rusty pig (I suspect it's spent time on a coastline in its life) and slow going, but it's satisfying bring it back from the dead too:

thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

What you don't see here is that I also capped the frame up to the end of the lower control arm mount plus a bit. I'm trying to finish the passenger side in the next couple of weeks by finishing the suspension in the rear. Lots of work on the driver's side, since the front lower control arm has detached from the frame and will need more capping than the passenger side which I did just to stay ahead of the game.

Just a side by side comparison of my build so far. It's a rusty pig (I suspect it's spent time on a coastline in its life) and slow going, but it's satisfying bring it back from the dead too:

View attachment 120470View attachment 120471

What you don't see here is that I also capped the frame up to the end of the lower control arm mount plus a bit. I'm trying to finish the passenger side in the next couple of weeks by finishing the suspension in the rear. Lots of work on the driver's side, since the front lower control arm has detached from the frame and will need more capping than the passenger side which I did just to stay ahead of the game.
You know what they say? Gotta start somewhere right. And since I'm pretty damn sure everyone that wants a jeep doesn't have time or resources to search and search to find a rust free 20 yr old rust prone vehicle that was intended to be used for mud,snow etc that caused most of the rust buckets we have now could've been avoided if someone would've realized that mud,water and salt sitting in a steel bucket with no way to drain was gonna speed up the corrosion process. But then again, you live and you learn right.

Keep banging away on it and you'll get it to where you want it. I got one too. lol I'm down in King George and mine came from down by the bay so I feel your " Damn this thing will never be done attitude" but then again you'll never be so bored where you have absolutely nothing to do. Cause she will always need something.

And besides what kind of person want's something to drive and enjoy that he never has to do anything to? Especially a Jeep. And going by your pics, your 3% on your way to being done. But remember that's like cutting a 20 acre yard with a 20" push mower, by time tour done it's time to start over again. :ROFLMAO:

You know what they say? Gotta start somewhere right. And since I'm pretty damn sure everyone that wants a jeep doesn't have time or resources to search and search to find a rust free 20 yr old rust prone vehicle that was intended to be used for mud,snow etc that caused most of the rust buckets we have now could've been avoided if someone would've realized that mud,water and salt sitting in a steel bucket with no way to drain was gonna speed up the corrosion process. But then again, you live and you learn right.

Keep banging away on it and you'll get it to where you want it. I got one too. lol I'm down in King George and mine came from down by the bay so I feel your " Damn this thing will never be done attitude" but then again you'll never be so bored where you have absolutely nothing to do. Cause she will always need something.

And besides what kind of person want's something to drive and enjoy that he never has to do anything to? Especially a Jeep. And going by your pics, your 3% on your way to being done. But remember that's like cutting a 20 acre yard with a 20" push mower, by time tour done it's time to start over again. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the encouragement. I really hoped to be done by the first snow in our area, but I doubt that will happen. I might be done for some early top down fun this Spring though!

Keep us posted on the work.

Will do, and I'll use this thread.

Reactions: AndyG
You will be a pro at the frame off restoration side of Jeep ownership. It looks like you are doing a good job. Maybe a bodyshop is in your future. Keep up the good work.👍

Reactions: RobertJ
You will be a pro at the frame off restoration side of Jeep ownership. It looks like you are doing a good job. Maybe a bodyshop is in your future. Keep up the good work.👍

Thanks, but I've been doing this stuff for a long time, and I'm pretty sure my old body couldn't hold up to doing it full time. Haha. I'm no pro for sure, but I am an avid DYI'r. Here's a comparison of a project I finished around 2003:

18348_307651529017_6619472_n.jpg

18348_307653109017_7920164_n.jpg

That one took me a few years, but I was being a bit more particular. I miss that garage! It was a four car tandem and had gobs of space. I hate the DC area for tiny garages for reasonable houses.

Looking good dude. I keep meaning to come out your way and check out your TJ. I've just completed some internal frame work myself. I cleaned everything out with a garden hose attached to shop vac and pulled all the rust flakes out using a long magnet thing. Then I sprayed the whole inside with Fluid Film to protect it going forward. Hopefully I can just keep doing that once a year or so.

Sarkis

Looking good dude. I keep meaning to come out your way and check out your TJ. I've just completed some internal frame work myself. I cleaned everything out with a garden hose attached to shop vac and pulled all the rust flakes out using a long magnet thing. Then I sprayed the whole inside with Fluid Film to protect it going forward. Hopefully I can just keep doing that once a year or so.

Sarkis

Staying on top of it is way better than the alternative! Just let me know.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Fluid film is becoming my best friend.(don't tell my dog!🐕) That stuff wants to wick into every tiny spot. Much better than other products I've used in the past.

Getting ready to drop the tank to make getting to the rear suspension easier. Should I replace the skid while I have it down?
20191019_144011.jpg

Just kidding!

20191019_144222.jpg

Reactions: Fonz54
Yeah, I felt your pain on that one also.

View attachment 120726View attachment 120727

The last TJ I had was an '2004 Rubi that I sold after it was just a few years old. I never dreamed they'd rust like they do. At least they make all these parts for us TJ fans.

At least you'll be brining her back from the dead! That's a good thing :)

I'm trying! Thanks.

nice work
great to see a guy with skills pick a TJ as a project

Not sure about my skills. They are definitely of the DYI type. The older I get the wiser I get, but my body lets me down on some days. Haha. Thanks though.