Shifter gets pretty hot...

1999tj

Hi folks,

I have a 1999 TJ, 4.0 5-speed. Previous owner is unknown, so I don't know much regarding maintenance history, etc. I've had it since October 2017 & to date it's been a reliable and fun daily driver.

Got a question. . I plan on driving my TJ on 2 road trips this summer. Each is about 13 hrs round trip, traveling in the deep South over relatively level interstate terrain. One thing I've noticed lately in my city driving is that the stick area of the shifter is getting hot after 10 - 15 minutes. Should I be concerned about this? I'm not getting any high readings from the temp gauge, and my hoses/fluids are per manual. Of note, I don't run the A/C because this model didn't come with that feature.

Thanks for the help & advice!

There is a rubber inner shift boot that can fall apart over the years and that will let heat in. I need to replace mine on my 05 6 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 99 4.0 5 speed that does the same thing, if i have a cold drink in my cup holders, theyre nice and warm after a 20 minute drive. X3 on the inner shift boot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk