Shifter is very sloppy and has alot of play

Devinr29

TJ Enthusiast
Hello Everybody, I have a 99 4cyl with the ax-5 transmission. Recently I replaced my shifter bushing because I had a lot of play and slop in my shifter. it didn't fix anything. I drove my friends' jeep the other day and his felt very tight and notchy. I was wondering how I can get that on my jeep. have any of you had a similar problem? do I need to change the fluid? Thanks!

I added some pics for fun, I know yall love pictures

IMG_20190817_123735.jpg

IMG_20181120_125307_01.jpg

IMG_20191005_144041.jpg

I have the 6 speed, so I don't know if this will work for you, but my trans was extremely sloppy shifting. But had the hardest time getting into 6th gear. It would go back down to 4th and rev the crap out of the engine. Finding reverse required me to clutch in and out like 2 to 4 times before it would go in gear. Half the time it would go part way and grind like crazy when I let out the clutch

So I finally changed the fluid like everyone recommended and now it is like a whole new transmission. Shifting is smooth and tight. 6th gear goes in like butter. Reverse is just as easy. I've never seen such a transformation before. I was getting ready to just buy a new 5 speed and junk this one. I can't explain how or why the fluid made such a difference. I had already replaced all the gearboxes oil front to back when I got the Jeep so it had good clean new oil in it.
Maybe give this a try. The oil was like $18/qt but that was a bargain compared to having to buy a new trans!

Reactions: Devinr29
I have the 6 speed, so I don't know if this will work for you, but my trans was extremely sloppy shifting. But had the hardest time getting into 6th gear. It would go back down to 4th and rev the crap out of the engine. Finding reverse required me to clutch in and out like 2 to 4 times before it would go in gear. Half the time it would go part way and grind like crazy when I let out the clutch

So I finally changed the fluid like everyone recommended and now it is like a whole new transmission. Shifting is smooth and tight. 6th gear goes in like butter. Reverse is just as easy. I've never seen such a transformation before. I was getting ready to just buy a new 5 speed and junk this one. I can't explain how or why the fluid made such a difference. I had already replaced all the gearboxes oil front to back when I got the Jeep so it had good clean new oil in it.
Maybe give this a try. The oil was like $18/qt but that was a bargain compared to having to buy a new trans!
What fluid did you use?, I'm gonna give it a try