Shim adjustments to remove backlash in Dana 35

Thanks all for the feedback. If it was a tranny mount, a pinion nut, or clutch issue these items would have failed by now, fifteen years and 135,000 mile on the Jeep. Excessive gear clearances would not necessarily be cause for failure, only slack in the drive train and a nuisance. The reason it has lasted this long. I'm a mechanical engineer so, this is not a foreign area for me. I'm just hopeful to gain some feedback from someone who might have tackled this before.
Thanks again.

If that’s the case, my earlier post already answered the question. Then you revealed more and a gear guru told you that’s not the issue. So, it’s obvious you are dead set on changing the backlash. Measure it first and if it’s within tolerances, be open to other possibilities..

If that’s the case, my earlier post already answered the question. Then you revealed more and a gear guru told you that’s not the issue. So, it’s obvious you are dead set on changing the backlash. Measure it first and if it’s within tolerances, be open to other possibilities..
10-4, I agree.

Reactions: JMT
Why don’t you just measure the back lash instead of making an uneducated assumption?

Magnetic base dial indicators can be had for cheap on amazon.

Think of it this way, even if the backlash was double where it should be, you still aren't going to feel .020 while driving. It is entirely possible that you are feeling some play due to the miles. But that would be the totality of all the worn parts; spider gears, axle shafts, bearings, carrier bores, etc.
On top of all that, it is a bad idea to tighten, or significantly change, the backlash on gears with those kind of miles. If you do anything, rebuild the differential.