Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

I've run the 5100 shocks for years, so I'll at least have some idea of the difference in ride.
Sweet! I think @Mike_H has run the 5100's as well, so we can get some good butt dyno data from this. Looking back, I've only run twin tube shocks, (OME Nitros, Ranchos, JKS's), so I have nothing to compare to a monotube shock.

All the number crunching worked out. The shock is a perfect fit for my rear setup. 4 inch up travel and 4.7 inch down.

20210528_162518.jpg

20210528_162422.jpg

I only received half. The front shocks are being shipped. From what I can see though its a decent quality twin tube shock for the money.
decent quality as in appearance and fitment, or after you took it for a ride?

Hey everyone,

I have a 2.5"-3" Suspension lift, running 31x10.5 tires. I installed Rancho RS5000x, but they are short so I am looking to sell them in order to buy either the longer ones or some other option that I have seen suggested in this forum by some members.

Please let me know your opinions about Skyjacker Black Max and KYB Monotube shocks, and how they compare with Rancho RS5000x.
Why dont you try more locally available "tried and tested"? I think I remember your local 4x4 club or 4x4 shop in Athens recommending different shocks over the Rancho's before you did your lift.
Its the way of the internet information world we live in that for every recommendation and praise there is at least another that comes out and tell you the opposite, trouble is we only seem to notice the latter comments after we have committed. :(

What is the best recommended shock for your TJ and driving conditions in your part of the world, and I personally would start there unless I could import cheaper from US.