Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

Ya, once I get back home from work today I'll trim out the minimum to clear the shock body. Im also dealing with some steering wandering after Currectlync install and alignment. While going over the front end earlier, I found my frame side tracker bar bolt has a lot of movement. so thinking that is it. and....some more bad news, my water pump is leaking..smh again.

Bumping this one...

Just got a stock TJ and it has the KYB Monomax. These are too bouncy for my tastes. This not going to see much (if any) off road, using it for my DD and will keep it stock height. So thinking of the options mentioned, sounds like the Skyjacker Black Max might be more what I'm looking for. Any others I should consider? Never liked Bilstein. Sounds like the Rancho aren't as nice as the Skyjacker for DD.

There's a section of the freeway on my commute that is bouncy, I call it the whoops section. I had the same problem with a stock F150. In my Expedition, LJ, and even wife's Prius, this section is not noticeable.

Bumping this one...

Just got a stock TJ and it has the KYB Monomax. These are too bouncy for my tastes. This not going to see much (if any) off road, using it for my DD and will keep it stock height. So thinking of the options mentioned, sounds like the Skyjacker Black Max might be more what I'm looking for. Any others I should consider? Never liked Bilstein. Sounds like the Rancho aren't as nice as the Skyjacker for DD.

There's a section of the freeway on my commute that is bouncy, I call it the whoops section. I had the same problem with a stock F150. In my Expedition, LJ, and even wife's Prius, this section is not noticeable.

Bouncy meaning they allow for a lot of uncontrolled movement?

Bumping this one...

What tire size are you running and exactly what air pressure is in them?

I installed Black Max on the front this summer. They are softer than the old EMU Nitro Chargers. The Jeep has softer feel on small bumps and sharp turns. I like them. I kept the OME on the rear since I have a big tire on a carrier and a bumper.

Bumping this one...

Mono max are the red ones? You might try the silver KYBs. I was going to, but they only offer them for stock height rigs. IIRC, the guy you bought that Jeep from drove a rig with them and thought they were “passable.”

Mono max are the red ones? You might try the silver KYBs. I was going to, but they only offer them for stock height rigs. IIRC, the guy you bought that Jeep from drove a rig with them and thought they were “passable.”

Yes, the red KYB Monomax. They seem a bit rough, remind me of the Bilstein 5100. Not terrible, but the Skyjacker black max aren't that expensive.

Yes, the red KYB Monomax. They seem a bit rough, remind me of the Bilstein 5100. Not terrible, but the Skyjacker black max aren't that expensive.

I thought the same. Pretty harsh in the rear. I think the silver ones are called gas-a-just or something. They are not very expensive either. I haven't run them on the TJ, but I do have them on my motorhome and they work well there. The black maxs have not shown to have good longevity on my jeep. They are not the shocks now that I installed two years ago, and I've already put a new set of rear ones on.

Reactions: suicideking
Just ordered a set of black max last Friday. Going from OME shocks that ride like an unloaded log truck so I’m hoping they will be better. Ordered rancho 5000 twice from Amazon and twice got the wrong/bad shocks. Gave up and ordered direct from Skyjacker. Maybe this week I’ll be riding on new shocks.

Figured I'd follow up on this thread. It has now been over two years with the Black Max shocks. I've wheeled hard with them, the ride is great, and I've logged 5000+ miles on them. While my mileage isn't high, my buddy, who I recommended them too, has over 30k miles on his.

The only complaint I have is that the shock body is large and can hit the rear coil spring bucket, when running a 3 to 4 inch lift and tummy tuck. However, other shocks have the same issue, and these can be flipped to run inverted. As I said earlier in this thread, these are my new favorite "budget" shock and have proven to be a good choice for my needs.

The only complaint I have is that the shock body is large and can hit the rear coil spring bucket, when running a 3 to 4 inch lift and tummy tuck.

DSC01876.JPG

DSC01873.JPG

DSC01874.JPG

Dang, is that typical for a tucked TJ? that's way deeper than I had to cut mine (and I didn't use a bracket extension either), but I've done it in a TJ with a stock skid, and a tucked LJ, so never the extreme case.

Mine is cut about there too...though I came straight across the bucket, instead of making a round recess.

Dang, is that typical for a tucked TJ? that's way deeper than I had to cut mine (and I didn't use a bracket extension either), but I've done it in a TJ with a stock skid, and a tucked LJ, so never the extreme case.

Typical but not nearly as much. This one is odd since it is the first time we've had to move the lower shock hole back to keep the shock can off of the rear of the axle tube. Typically, you can delete the extender, droop it, and trim the perch until you can mount the shock. We kept moving this one in with a rough cut that you see a little at a time trying to get it close enough to get the bolt in and finally had to extend the lower shock tabs back about 1/2".

Hey everyone,

I have a 2.5"-3" Suspension lift, running 31x10.5 tires. I installed Rancho RS5000x, but they are short so I am looking to sell them in order to buy either the longer ones or some other option that I have seen suggested in this forum by some members.

Please let me know your opinions about Skyjacker Black Max and KYB Monotube shocks, and how they compare with Rancho RS5000x.

Or please suggest me any other alternative shock for this ride height.

* My use: Daily driver, but also off road on weekends. I don't do extreme rock crawling stuff, but I value both on road and off road performance/ride quality.
** I know they are not the best possible shocks, but I am looking shocks in this price range, or a little bit more expensive. I don't have the budget for custom tuned shocks etc.

Spoiler Alert: Some Findings From This Thread ... Special Thanks to @SSTJ for creating the summary.

Experiment 1: @Mike_H
  • From Ranchos to KYBs to Black Maxes.
  • Summed up his results by saying this:
    • Rancho 5000x: decent ride, but the front and rear ends seemed to be doing different things. Made for a very disconcerting driving experience. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad set of rear shocks. I didn't feel any real differences between them, but there was something definitely wrong, that I haven't felt with any of my other experiments.
    • KYB monomax:. Better than the ranchos, in that they controlled the Jeep and the rear started reacting predicably again. Very stiff though. High pressure charge, enough so that when I was checking my bumps without the springs, the Jeep would lift up, then settle back down on every stroke of the jack. Bouncy ride.
    • Black max: compliant, good travel for the lift height (4'ish inches). They didn't exhibit any of the handling weirdness that the ranchos did, either. They will give a bit of a jolt in big bumps. I don't really have much else to say about them. They feel like they will be decent off-road, but I won't know until I try it. An added benefit... Because they aren't nitrogen charged, they are VERY easy to install.

Experiment 2: @Irun
  • From ??? shocks to Black Max. What shocks did @Irun have at first?
  • Summed up by saying: "Caveat here. I don't have my final driveshafts yet, but bolted up a spare 1330 rear shaft and took it for a quick spin. I couldn't go far, or fast, so I'll have to defer to @MountaineerTom for his feedback. My initial impression is favorable for my light setup. The twin tube shocks are definitely soft riding compared to monotubes I’ve had, like Bilstein 5100s. The best way I can describe the Black Max shocks is soft and compliant. There is no harsh feedback or stiffness. If you like a firm shock, these are not the shocks for you. For a daily driver, I'm expecting them to be exactly what I wanted. Time will tell though!"

Experiment 3: @MountaineerTom
  • From Rancho 5000x to Nitrocharger Sports to Black Maxes.
  • Swapped to Black Max and found that:
    • "They are certainly softer. They feel a lot like the stock ride to me. I know everyone didn’t get their Jeep with a stock suspension, but for me, that’s comparable to how it feels."
    • "When I put my lift on, I installed the OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks. They were very rough over areas in the road like joints where roads meet bridges, man hole covers, your normal deteriorating pot-holed road or patched up pot holes. Around here it’s very sandy and some of the fire service roads get a lot rippled/wash board type areas on them and with the OME’s it was rough as hell and not enjoyable unless you were going very slow. I replaced the OME’s with Rancho RS5000x’s and it was an improvement In all those areas."
    • "These Black Max’s seem to me to be a ride improvement over the Ranchos. At first I thought they might be kind of mushy just pushing on the bumper corners before I drove it around. Even pulling out of my shop, thought the yard and out on the street I was still thinking it might be mushy. After driving around just a few minutes, I liked the feel a lot. I do have a newer style Antirock up front on the softest setting and the factory rear sway bar. A factory front bar or the ORO bar would probably be different, but I have no experience with those and the Black Max’s combo. Im happy. 🙂"
  • Followed up later to say:
    • "I had the Skyjacker Black Max's out in Uwharrie yesterday. Lots of rocky, bumpy trails. They felt very good to me. Even my friend (not a Jeep owner) who rode with me thought they rode really good. I had a couple places in mind that I thought the rear bumper might drag when coming off a ledge, but it didn't. If I had come off them faster, probably, "

Experiment 4: @Billy06
  • Started with KYBs in front and Rancho 5000x in the rear. Changed the rear Rancho 5000x to Black Max.
  • Results TBD ...

Plus, Lessons from @Rubicon88:
  • Within the same price range, Bilstein 5100s KYB Monomax, FOX, and Rancho 7000 are comparably stiff.
  • The Rancho 5000x is not as stiff as the above.
  • The Blackmax is the smoothest of the bunch on a TJ.
  • There are some striking similarities between Ranchos and Monroes.
  • There are also some similarities between Skyjacker and Gabriel.

I recently installed skyjacker 8000's on mine with a 4" short arm kit.
Ride is extremely improved over the doetsh tech shocks i replaced.
Really soaks up the bumps very well.