Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

Well...
I can tell you my experience in a similar platform to your hypothesis subject.

They work really good on 4 door JK's modified that has to be approaching your subject weight.

Thanks for your observations. They are helpful, particularly the analogy to JK weight and Skyjacker's focus on the Jeep JK aftermarket.

BTW, here are some general JK curb weights harvested by Google:

"Jeep Wrangler Sport: 3,970 pounds. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport: 4,201 pounds. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S: 4,201 pounds. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab: 4,345 pounds."

It could be that most of the salient Skyjacker Black MAX shock user reviews will be on the JK forums.

Thanks for your observations. They are helpful, particularly the analogy to JK weight and Skyjacker's focus on the Jeep JK aftermarket.

BTW, here are some general JK curb weights harvested by Google:

"Jeep Wrangler Sport: 3,970 pounds. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport: 4,201 pounds. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S: 4,201 pounds. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Moab: 4,345 pounds."

It could be that most of the salient Skyjacker Black MAX shock user reviews will be on the JK forums.
Perhaps but....
I only became a member on here last year. Maybe only 9 months ago....
It was amazing to me just how little the Bkackmax was spoken of on any shock post. Like none...zero...non existent. There was no good or bad talk. Zero talk. Could there be more talk of them on the JK forum? Maybe...
Maybe just by default there would be since the amount of JK buyers have dwarfed all other Jeep versions.?.
I still wouldn't hold my breath on that. Forums are full of sheep and that Tenneco machine is a monster.

Perhaps but....
I only became a member on here last year. Maybe only 9 months ago....
It was amazing to me just how little the Bkackmax was spoken of on any shock post. Like none...zero...non existent. There was no good or bad talk. Zero talk. Could there be more talk of them on the JK forum? Maybe...
Maybe just by default there would be since the amount of JK buyers have dwarfed all other Jeep versions.?.
I still wouldn't hold my breath on that. Forums are full of sheep and that Tenneco machine is a monster.
You were the first to bring up the black max. For better or for worse, the 5000x has been pushed and repeated around here pretty hard. I lost my interest in the 5000x after some increased perspective. Bottom line is that more people need to experiment with more shocks. The Black Max included.

Bottom line is that more people need to experiment with more shocks. The Black Max included.
They do, but most people don't want to experiment or have the cash to spend $250 on shocks to throw them away or sell on craigslist for half price. That's why I only trust a couple members opinions on anything. I'm waiting for Irun's review. Damn opinions! I wanted some Patagonia tires and you ruined it.;)

• Haha
Reactions: tombicon and Irun
. . . For better or for worse, the 5000x has been pushed and repeated around here pretty hard. I lost my interest in the 5000x after some increased perspective. Bottom line is that more people need to experiment with more shocks. The Black Max included.

My observation on Rancho 5000x shocks is that they are a decent budget replacement shock designed to provide OEM-like ride, but nothing special. Their best qualities seem to be that they are cheap and readily available.

The Skyjacker Black MAX shocks are at a similar price point and appear to be marketed to the same consumers drawn to the Rancho 5000x.

There is an unsubstantiated statement on one of the JK forums that Skyjacker Black MAX shocks are manufactured in a Tenneco facility, the same as Rancho, Monroe, etc. [There is also an unsubstantiated statement that "all" white rocket shocks are manufactured by Tenneco, including Rancho and Skyjacker Hydros and Nitros.]

Does anyone know with certainty what company actually manufactures the Black MAX shocks for Skyjacker?

Can anyone provide substantiation?

Happy to do it! Patagonias are a garbage tire. 😂
Thanks for that. You're one of the few I trust.
party-pooper.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and Irun
They do, but most people don't want to experiment or have the cash to spend $250 on shocks to throw them away or sell on craigslist for half price. That's why I only trust a couple members opinions on anything. I'm waiting for Irun's review. Damn opinions! I wanted some Patagonia tires and you ruined it.;)
The ironic part of that is it's a product that's good to the individual.
It's not a black and white topic of an engine misfire or the like...it's really a personal preference type of thing. Everybody is different.
You can bet there are people on this very forum right now running Rough Country shocks and they love them. They aren't wrong. It's just what they like

My observation on Rancho 5000x shocks is that they are a decent budget replacement shock designed to provide OEM-like ride, but nothing special. Their best qualities seem to be that they are cheap and readily available.

The Skyjacker Black MAX shocks are at a similar price point and appear to be marketed to the same consumers drawn to the Rancho 5000x.

There is an unsubstantiated statement on one of the JK forums that Skyjacker Black MAX shocks are manufactured in a Tenneco facility, the same as Rancho, Monroe, etc. [There is also an unsubstantiated statement that "all" white rocket shocks are manufactured by Tenneco, including Rancho and Skyjacker Hydros and Nitros.]

Does anyone know with certainty what company actually manufactures the Black MAX shocks for Skyjacker?

Can anyone provide substantiation?
Good luck getting a straight answer there. We are really dealing with two different designs of shock, aren't we? Twin tube vs. mono tube design is going to perform differently, right? Or am I way off base?

. . . the answer to the question "what company manufactures Skyjacker Black MAX shocks?

Do you?

If so, care to share?
I didn't mean to say I know... in that reply to that post. Apologies.

Looking at that post I will show you a couple things and y'all can draw your own conclusions.

Below are shocks for a 2000 TJ stock suspension.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/37026
https://www.gorancho.com/products/s...er/rancho-rs5000x-shock-absorber-rs55128.html
Now take a look at the info between them.

See any similarities🤔

They went all tricky and crafty on the info by using SAE on the Monroe and Metric on the Rancho....(done intentionally to give a perceived difference)

Just remember when looking...
1 3/8" is indeed 35mm
5/8" is 16mm

Look at the other details.
Seals, pistons, rods, etc.

Again see any similarities?🤔

Reactions: Irun
I didn't mean to say I know... in that reply to that post. Apologies.

Looking at that post I will show you a couple things and y'all can draw your own conclusions.

Below are shocks for a 2000 TJ stock suspension.

Now take a look at the info between them.

See any similarities🤔

Wait for real? Are you telling me that these are basically the same shocks? Because I definitely considered the Monroes when upgrading to Ranchos. I even made a table comparing their specs, but I didn't go so far as to notice this level of similarity. In the end I found some Ranchos from someone who had ordered the wrong length, so I got them for about the price of the Monroes, but still ...

Back in my parts store days many moons ago, you could go into the Monroe, or Gabriel catalog and look up mounting codes and travel specs. Does that information still exist?

Reactions: P man
Back in my parts store days many moons ago, you could go into the Monroe, or Gabriel catalog and look up mounting codes and travel specs. Does that information still exist?
Unless you have an old catalog your best bet is the intranet...I know Monroe specs are readily available and would assume any shock manufacturers would be