Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

0265B0E8-9F3C-4929-B835-04B2F98C5D88.jpeg

Why dont you try more locally available "tried and tested"? I think I remember your local 4x4 club or 4x4 shop in Athens recommending different shocks over the Rancho's before you did your lift.
Its the way of the internet information world we live in that for every recommendation and praise there is at least another that comes out and tell you the opposite, trouble is we only seem to notice the latter comments after we have committed. :(

What is the best recommended shock for your TJ and driving conditions in your part of the world, and I personally would start there unless I could import cheaper from US.
They recommended rough country shocks so they lost my confidence.

• Haha
Reactions: deadbeat son
Reactions: bobthetj03 and Irun
Did you get both front and rear?
Yes. I ordered through Summit Racing and one package came from Texas and the other from Nevada. One was fronts and one was rears, but I don’t remember which one came from which place.

Reactions: Irun
Yes. I ordered through Summit Racing and one package came from Texas and the other from Nevada. One was fronts and one was rears, but I don’t remember which one came from which place.
Awesome! I'm anxious to hear what you think. I haven't even got a shipping notification for the front yet.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Reactions: Irun
FYI, the front B8516’s are can up too.

And my Jeep and me are pigs.
2140 lbs front axle
2180 rear axle
4320 gross weight.

That was with me in it, almost full tank of gas and the way it sits 99% of the time:
- no rear seat, but has a tool box in its place with tools, recovery gear, jumper cables, etc.
-soft top on
- heavy front and rear bumpers/tire carrier, winch plate and winch with steel cable and the MOPAR rock rails.

I likely won’t get the shocks installed today. Saturdays are for my wife most of the time, Sunday’s are mine. 🙂

DC44BC28-9D10-4CB7-9C9F-4C7F6BAB480C.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm guessing they will be on par with the Zone hydro shocks.................................................................................................................................. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................😴

Reactions: Midtenn and Irun
I'm guessing they will be on par with the Zone hydro shocks.................................................................................................................................. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................😴
Definitely reminds me of the old Zone shocks. But it's clear these are better made!

Moving this here from @Irun ’s built thread so I don’t clutter it up.

I’m planning on putting mine on tomorrow.

I came across this info when looking up info on the Black Max shocks. It sounds like it falls in line with what you’re saying so far, @Irun , but it wasn’t on the Skyjacker website. I don’t know if this is Skyjacker’s words or that websites word.

Skyjacker Black Max shock info on Shocks Surplus

Here’s a couple paragraphs from the link.

“Where many other manufacturers who focus on lifted and off road suspension systems go by a “stiffer is better” approach for performance reasons, Skyjacker operates under what they call their “Soft-Ride” ethos. Rather than trying to give you all the stiffness possible to resist bottoming out like some of the other budget brands, Black max shocks are set up relatively soft to provide a cushy and forgiving ride, and bringing some movement back to your suspension.”

“The Black Max is an outstanding option for low speed technical off roading like rock crawling and for the daily driver looking to soften up their ride.”

3302B801-B505-4597-9CC1-B427B63777DE.jpeg

Reactions: SSTJ and Irun