Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

I had Bilstein 5100's before I had the Rancho 5000X on my rig. The Rancho's were definitely softer from day 1. However, I noted that once you got to 45mph, there was no noticeable difference between the Bilstein 5100's and the Rancho 5000X. This was back in 2018 when I first noted this on the forum in a number of threads. Compared to the stock shocks on another TJ I own, the Rancho's are noticeably better. Compared to the KYB monotubes I have on another TJ, the Rancho's are noticeably better ride. I'm getting rid of the Rancho's on my rig and trying the Fox Savvy Valved shocks.
I have tuned Fox I'm my shop waiting to go on...along with a dozen other things. The only thing I don't have is more time.

Reactions: rasband
I have tuned Fox I'm my shop waiting to go on...along with a dozen other things. The only thing I don't have is more time.
Time is a precious commodity. I'd help you out if I lived anywhere near.

Sorry if this has already been said. No time to read all 13 pages.

I ordered all new 3 in lift Soft Springs for my 84 Toyota truck. I used Rancho Shocks. The ride was terrible. As it turns out, the shocks were overkill and ruined the ride.

I would go with the kyb.

My son's 73 Blazer had Rancho shocks. I switched them to Monroe Gasmatics. Way better ride.

Disclaimer: I don't know if the correct Rancho shocks were ever ordered...

My point is be very careful about the shock selection. It can ruin your ride if you don't get the right one. That is regardless of brand.

Sorry if this has already been said. No time to read all 13 pages.

I ordered all new 3 in lift Soft Springs for my 84 Toyota truck. I used Rancho Shocks. The ride was terrible. As it turns out, the shocks were overkill and ruined the ride.

I would go with the kyb.

My son's 73 Blazer had Rancho shocks. I switched them to Monroe Gasmatics. Way better ride.

Disclaimer: I don't know if the correct Rancho shocks were ever ordered...

Which particular Ranchos? In this thread, we're mostly interested in comparing the RS5000X series.

It’s all just a bunch of group think and so-called science experiments. 😂
Agree. Call the manufacturer of whatever shock you want to go with and discuss your application with them. Putting an overkill shock on your Jeep will ruin the ride. I don't have a recent set of new shocks for comparison (still factory on the LJ and it rides great) My lift kit shows up in August. Will let you know how it rides then.

It’s all just a bunch of group think and so-called science experiments. 😂
.... So when a person actually runs the different shocks he's giving an opinion about still counts as group think?

The guys that haven't run anything else and defending their single experience as best is what I would consider group think ....

Agree. Call the manufacturer of whatever shock you want to go with and discuss your application with them. Putting an overkill shock on your Jeep will ruin the ride. I don't have a recent set of new shocks for comparison (still factory on the LJ and it rides great) My lift kit shows up in August. Will let you know how it rides then.
That's cute. You really think having a conversation with a mass produced shock manufacturer is going to give you any usable info? They are all in it to make money. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear. That is the point of forums like this, to share reach other's real world experience and opinions. Even then, my experience and opinions will probably be different from somebody else's. Take the info you read and make an informed decision.

I'm also curious what you think is an overkill shock....and secondly how you think said shock will ruin your ride.

Don't forget the main variable, the ass-O-owner meter, and everybody's ass feels differently.
I agree with this to a large extent. However, our asses perceive one thing that makes us feel good when the right combination can make us feel uncomfortable yet make the rig operate far better.

A good example is the anti-rock. There are a lot of people out there that don't like the way they feel yet they make the rig act better off-road.

Reactions: Irun and jjvw
I agree with this to a large extent. However, our asses perceive one thing that makes us feel good when the right combination can make us feel uncomfortable yet make the rig operate far better.

A good example is the anti-rock. There are a lot of people out there that don't like the way they feel yet they make the rig act better off-road.
Yep, and I'm working on testing some of this within the next year. I'll have an LJ on short arms and one on mid arms. One with an anti rock and one with a swayloc. One with cheap shocks one with expensive shocks. Will be interesting to see how they compare.

Reactions: hosejockey61
You guys could start a “share a shock” co-op. Can trade and swap shocks so everyone can test them all. I’m not sure on specifics of how each of the off the shelf shocks is valved but I am thinking “progressive” valving is the only way to get the ride I am after.

Reactions: Vasq
That's cute. You really think having a conversation with a mass produced shock manufacturer is going to give you any usable info? They are all in it to make money. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear. That is the point of forums like this, to share reach other's real world experience and opinions. Even then, my experience and opinions will probably be different from somebody else's. Take the info you read and make an informed decision.

I'm also curious what you think is an overkill shock....and secondly how you think said shock will ruin your ride.
An overkill shock is one that has too much damping for your application. When you hit a bump, the shock transfers that force to the vehicle and therefore ruins your ride. My sons 73 Blazer felt like it had no suspension with a really harsh ride. We pulled a leaf out of the springs, no change. We replaced the shocks to solve the problem.

I called Bilstein and their tech support was great. If the shock company just has one or two shocks to sell you then you are right. Don't bother calling them. However, calling a company that has a full line of shocks can really help. You give them the weight of the vehicle, type of springs you are using, length you need, etc, and they can recommend the right shock.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Vasq
.... So when a person actually runs the different shocks he's giving an opinion about still counts as group think?

The guys that haven't run anything else and defending their single experience as best is what I would consider group think ....
The "group think" part is JUST RUN RANCHO 5000X

The "science experiment" part is the FEW BRAVE SOULS WHO DOLE OUT THE CASH TO TRY SOMETHING NEW!

😊

There is really something to this statement. After installing a Antirock (AR) on my LJ, I was ready to remove it after driving on the road. However, the first time it got used off-road, my perspective changed. Since I wheel in the same place routinely, I've got a pretty good baseline for what the Jeep can and can't do. One particular hill always gave me a problem. It's a long steep stair step climb that caused me all kinds of grief trying to get up it. Prior to the AR, I only managed to conquer it once, and that was with damage.

After installing the AR, I walked up it easily several times in a row. All the conditions were the same, with the only variable being the AR. Even people I wheeled with were like, "what the hell did you change?" It made a believer out of me. I still don't like the on-road manners, which is why a Swayloc went on my TJ! :)

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
The "group think" part is JUST RUN RANCHO 5000X

The "science experiment" part is the FEW BRAVE SOULS WHO DOLE OUT THE CASH TO TRY SOMETHING NEW!

😊
You need to tell my wife this. She would change your statement to:

FEW BRAVE STUPID SOULS WHO DOLE OUT THE CASH TO TRY SOMETHING NEW, TAKING MONEY FROM THEIR CHILD'S FUTURE!

:)