Shock Comparison: Rancho RS5000X vs Skyjacker Black Max vs KYB Monotube

I'll update after this weekend. I replaced the rears and drove 200 miles last week. Just did the front yesterday.

I had ranchos before.

Turns out, ranchos front and blackmax rears don't exactly play nice.

I'll update after this weekend. I replaced the rears and drove 200 miles last week. Just did the front yesterday.

I had ranchos before.

Huh, that's too bad. I've got Bilstein 5100s up front and the black max's in the back and I love the way it's been riding.

Reactions: Irun

care to expand on this statement? I'm considering doing exactly this for my LJ, because I like the way the front rides but the back is awful with 5000x.

I find that ranchos front and ranchos rear don't exactly play nice.

care to expand on this statement? I'm considering doing exactly this for my LJ, because I like the way the front rides but the back is awful with 5000x.

I find that ranchos front and ranchos rear don't exactly play nice.
Maybe it's just the ranchos in the front then. I liked how the ranchos reacted to a speedbump in the front more than the black max. But with the BM in the rear and ranchos in the front I would get front back swaying after bumps.
BMs don't do that. My ranchos in the rear were dead enough that they didn't self extend after I removed them. So not a fair comparison

That being said, BMs on the front are much nicer on small potholes and uneven road. But worse on speed bumps. I have both in my daily commute. But it's easier to take speed bumps slow.

Edit: other minor annoyance with the BMs is routing the brake line. Before I could tie it to the rancho can.

Who’s running these shocks with Currie 4 inch springs. I haven’t seen a post with anyone with that set up. I’m wondering what part numbers for the blackmax shocks. I’ve run bilsteins rancho 5000x and rancho rs9000 I do t like any of them.

Who’s running these shocks with Currie 4 inch springs. I haven’t seen a post with anyone with that set up. I’m wondering what part numbers for the blackmax shocks. I’ve run bilsteins rancho 5000x and rancho rs9000 I do t like any of them.
I'm gonna bump this, see what the good part number is for the currie 4" springs and see how folks are liking the black max so far?

I don't understand. If running the Currie 4" springs, why not cycle the suspension and see what you need for open and closed lengths, and then consult the shock application charts and see which are the correct number for your particular application?

I too, want to hear the final verdict/opinion of these. It sucks that everyone has different opinions though. I want to see a shock with 99.7% positive reviews for TJs. That's the only way I order stuff from Ebay or Amazon. ;)

Reactions: LakeBeard
I don't understand. If running the Currie 4" springs, why not cycle the suspension and see what you need for open and closed lengths, and then consult the shock application charts and see which are the correct number for your particular application?
because the lift kit arrives today and obviously isn't installed and I have no shocks on hand to put in place anyway. Trying to order so it can all be installed at once.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
because the lift kit arrives today and obviously isn't installed and I have no shocks on hand to put in place anyway. Trying to order so it can all be installed at once.
To do it right, you need to install the springs, determine your needed bump lengths, and then calculate what length shocks you need. Just going with a generic stock answer or relying on someone else's setup may not work for your vehicle.

To do it right, you need to install the springs, determine your needed bump lengths, and then calculate what length shocks you need. Just going with a generic stock answer or relying on someone else's setup may not work for your vehicle.

What makes you think given my location I'll ever get the opportunity to flex it out completely anyway? :ROFLMAO:
Not going to lie, I want to take it places. But the likelihood it sees any terrain where maximum flex is required...for a long while, is slim. Especially without lockers (which are several months away from happening, at least).

I’m installing a front pair on my jeep today. I have 4 inch Currie springs. To my knowledge on the skyjacker site they only listed two sizes I went with the longer size.

Reactions: chimmike
What makes you think given my location I'll ever get the opportunity to flex it out completely anyway? :ROFLMAO:
Not going to lie, I want to take it places. But the likelihood it sees any terrain where maximum flex is required...for a long while, is slim. Especially without lockers (which are several months away from happening, at least).

I guess I just have a different philosophy about how to do things. But my TJ isn't my daily, so I can let it sit in my garage for a couple of weeks waiting on parts without any issue. I do understand not everyone has that luxury.

I'm gonna bump this, see what the good part number is for the currie 4" springs and see how folks are liking the black max so far?
I have a couple thousand miles on mine now and couldn't be happier with them. At a minimum, we really need at least a ride height number to help make sure you're close on the shock choice.

Reactions: chimmike
I guess I just have a different philosophy about how to do things. But my TJ isn't my daily, so I can let it sit in my garage for a couple of weeks waiting on parts without any issue. I do understand not everyone has that luxury.
I don't disagree with the philosophy of doing things exactly right.
But I'm being honest with myself as much as explaining my thought process. I'd love to build an ultra-capable short arm system with dual ARB's...but the fact is the capability will mostly go unused. The rockjock 4" double-adjustable suspension arriving today? Probably a massive waste of money for my uses.
And yes, there's only 2 part numbers for our application. One for lifts up to 4", the other for 4+.

Reactions: deadbeat son
I’m still super happy with my Rancho’s 5000X 55255/55256 with Currie 4”. My travel bias is almost perfectly 50/50. You get more possible travel out of the Rancho’s than the BM.