Shock height and lift size

muletownlj

Supporting Member
Hey gang

My 06 LJ has a 2.5” OME coil lift and a 1.25” body lift.

Do I need to take the body lift height into account when purchasing shocks?

Think I’m going with Rancho rs5000x. They have a 2-3” set but with the body lift im at 3.25”

I daily drive it so need something good on the every day road. No rock climbing just some trails.

Thanks!!

No, the body lift doesn’t affect shock length. I’ve read on here that those shocks run long. Someone with experience with those shocks should be along shortly to help you .

Reactions: Rickyd
A body lift doesn't affect shock length. Rancho shocks run a little too tall so I'd go for their 0-2" model RS5000X for your 2.5" suspension lift.

Jerry doesn't have a 2.5" lift. @JMT has the same setup as me on his sons jeep. Don't get shorter shocks,use appropriate bump stops

I don’t want to f**ck with the springs. I just want to change from the way too stuff OME sport shocks to something wiht a softer ride.

I don’t want to f**ck with the springs. I just want to change from the way too stuff OME sport shocks to something wiht a softer ride.

I have an 2.5" ome lift. With the above mentioned shocks.where exactly is someone telling you to swap your springs?

I am telling you to use the shocks i use for the best travel,or you can run shorter ones for some reason like jerry recommends and have less.

Go reread my posts

I have an 2.5" ome lift. With the above mentioned shocks.where exactly is someone telling you to swap your springs?

I am telling you to use the shocks i use for the best travel,or you can run shorter ones for some reason like jerry recommends and have less.

Go reread my posts

I thought you were suggesting to also change the bump stops

Go reread my posts
If you haven't ordered Rancho shocks that tend run too tall for their suggested suspension heights you won't understand why I recommended the next size down to the OP.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
If you haven't ordered Rancho shocks that tend run too tall for their suggested suspension heights you won't understand why I recommended the next size down to the OP.

My chevy 2500hd is the only lifted vehicle I've owned that i ordered shocks for based on advertised lift height. Those ranchos came in just right. But then blew out after a few hundred miles of hard running in death valley.soon to be replaced by fox resi's.

Everything else gets a tape measure to figure it out.

I understand what you're doing.but in this case you're wrong. Its ok.

Unfortunately when it comes to suspension work there is no such thing as plug and play. These last few weeks have drilled that into my head.

What OME springs do you have exactly and did you measure them? Your set up sounds very similar to what I'm in the process of doing.

I have an LJ hardtop, no winch, stock bumpers. It had OME 2933 springs and OME 60047 shocks in the front. It was barely 2 inches of lift and the shocks seemed too stiff. I'm now doing OME 2934 springs with 3.25 inches of lift and Rancho RS55239, I believe this is a good setup as far as travel is concerned.

In the rear I have 2942 springs and 60049 shocks. The springs net me 2 inches of lift which I will be keeping at that level; I had a massive 2 inch rake before switching to the taller front springs. I want to use the Rancho RS55241 shocks because I already bought them years ago, but depending on how things go I may need the 0-2 shocks instead.

Unfortunately when it comes to suspension work there is no such thing as plug and play. These last few weeks have drilled that into my head.

What OME springs do you have exactly and did you measure them? Your set up sounds very similar to what I'm in the process of doing.

I have an LJ hardtop, no winch, stock bumpers. It had OME 2933 springs and OME 60047 shocks in the front. It was barely 2 inches of lift and the shocks seemed too stiff. I'm now doing OME 2934 springs with 3.25 inches of lift and Rancho RS55239, I believe this is a good setup as far as travel is concerned.

In the rear I have 2942 springs and 60049 shocks. The springs net me 2 inches of lift which I will be keeping at that level; I had a massive 2 inch rake before switching to the taller front springs. I want to use the Rancho RS55241 shocks because I already bought them years ago, but depending on how things go I may need the 0-2 shocks instead.

The 239's will give you close to even travel at 2.5" actual lift in front.need 2" bumps.

241's are too short for even travel at the 1.5" lift i have in back.

In no way,shape or form is the 0-2" shock going to work well at the lift you want

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
The 239's will give you close to even travel at 2.5" actual lift in front.need 2" bumps.

241's are too short for even travel at the 1.5" lift i have in back.

In no way,shape or form is the 0-2" shock going to work well at the lift you want

I guess this is a case of each Jeep reacts differently? I'm still in the process of getting the front together. According to my measurements travel was roughly equal at 3 inches lift.

As for the rear, no big deal, I will figure out what shocks I need when I get to it.