Shock question

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would create a poll but I don't see that option.

I have fox 2.0 shocks already on my TJ but I don't know how old they are or their history, PO installed them. They do look older than what you could currently purchase for TJs.
7.jpg

I think they may need to be rebuilt.
I think the cost to rebuild and tune is 350-450.

Or I could also just buy rancho RS5000x for 250.

Which option would you choose?

Did you just google that number and it popped up? I still can't find that number when I google 474042 fox shock.

With the -300 at the end. Funny those popped up when I did. I cant find that exact number either.

When you order parts kits I think that's the number that tells them what you have.

Looks like a run of the mill 2.0 with a remote reservoir. It's odd seeing them on stock rear mounts.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Just talked to polyperformance. I guess that number is the serial number. They couldn’t figure out which shock it was exactly. They sent me a list of things I would need to rebuild but damn I’m over $200 and that doesn’t even include tools to fill with nitrogen.

He did ask what lift it came with. When I bought the jeep it had RE arms and springs so I guess I’ll try to google search if any of the RE packages came with fox shocks.

They sent me a list of things I would need to rebuild but damn I’m over $200 and that doesn’t even include tools to fill with nitrogen.

Don't get bogged down worrying about that, you simply rebuild the pack, assemble with oil and take them to someone who already has the nitrogen equipment.

It's that or sell them to someone as-is and get a different shock.

I would create a poll but I don't see that option.

I have fox 2.0 shocks already on my TJ but I don't know how old they are or their history, PO installed them. They do look older than what you could currently purchase for TJs.
View attachment 504478

I think they may need to be rebuilt.
I think the cost to rebuild and tune is 350-450.

Or I could also just buy rancho RS5000x for 250.

Which option would you choose?

The RS5000x shocks are a massive disappointment, and I'd advise anyone to stay far, far away from them. Fox is good stuff, rebuild what you have.

Reactions: AndyA
Def rebuild what you have. Its not hard, just have to be meticulous and clean. There should be a number on the shock, somewhere (xxx-xx-xxx). Might be gone though too. I never did find the actual part numbers on my shocks. I just looked them up by assumed application. Basically, the rebuild kits are all the same for the RR 2.0 shocks (as long as they are the Factory or Race shocks). Performace series shocks have a different piston and aluminum body, but again, the rebuild kit is the same for that series, no matter the travel length.

20/80 is definitely valving (compression/rebound). That's a pretty soft number...esp on compression. I bet it rides pretty well.

Also, what makes you think they need a rebuild? Are they leaking?

Here is my thread rebuilding the old ones I got for really cheap. They are no longer cheap, but still cheaper than buying new and paying for a tune.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fox-2-0-remote-reservoir-shocks-rebuild-thread.72550/

Def rebuild what you have. Its not hard, just have to be meticulous and clean. There should be a number on the shock, somewhere (xxx-xx-xxx). Might be gone though too. I never did find the actual part numbers on my shocks. I just looked them up by assumed application. Basically, the rebuild kits are all the same for the RR 2.0 shocks (as long as they are the Factory or Race shocks). Performace series shocks have a different piston and aluminum body, but again, the rebuild kit is the same for that series, no matter the travel length.

20/80 is definitely valving (compression/rebound). That's a pretty soft number...esp on compression. I bet it rides pretty well.

Also, what makes you think they need a rebuild? Are they leaking?

Here is my thread rebuilding the old ones I got for really cheap. They are no longer cheap, but still cheaper than buying new and paying for a tune.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fox-2-0-remote-reservoir-shocks-rebuild-thread.72550/

I think I might take one off and clean it really good to see if I find any more numbers. I'm 99% sure one needs to be rebuild because it looked like it was leaking in the past. Where did you buy your rebuild kit? Was it Seal Kits part # FOX-803-23-705?

Or send them to Alltech Motorsports out in Temecula. They rebuild and ship back quickly and are great to work with.

I think I might take one off and clean it really good to see if I find any more numbers. I'm 99% sure one needs to be rebuild because it looked like it was leaking in the past. Where did you buy your rebuild kit? Was it Seal Kits part # FOX-803-23-705?

I got my stuff from kartek and poly performance.

The rebuild kits I got were 803-00-010A. Forgot you have to look at the line size for the remote res too.

Reactions: CMBD
I think I'm going to just rebuild them myself once I can figure out exactly which kit to purchase. I had someone local offer to help me fill them with nitrogen but I may try to build my own charging kit.

Once I open the shocks up I should be able to tell the compression and rebound valving and see if they truly are 20/80 or some other custom tune. Most of my mileage is technically around town but I'd rather tune for off-road. When I say offroad I mean under 10 mph, usually much slower than that. Coalmont OHV is a trail not too far from me but the problem with that trail isn't the difficulty but there are about 10 million small obstacles(rocks) that are not difficult at all but I get tossed around so much it's nearly unbearable. Tire pressure close to 10-12. I have ordered a rear antirock sway bar but I'm not sure they will do anything.

Finally my question, should I reduce the rebound if it is in fact 80?
Would any micrometer that goes to thousandths be ok to measure the shims?

Reactions: BlueC
Would any micrometer that goes to thousandths be ok to measure the shims?

While you can use a mic, any half-way decent caliper (vernier, dial, or digital) will work just fine.

Reactions: Mike_H