Shock removal question

Well they're off, good job I don't need them!
Couldn't get a big enough set of vise grips on a Sunday afternoon. Hadn't seem suggestion of oil filter wrench. So, bit embarrassing, but it got ugly. I snipped at the metal sleave over the shaft until I had a section I could get some vise grips on...
View attachment 317083

One of the nuts was so stuck on the top of the shock actually sheared off anyway, second one undid but was by far the most unhelpful nut I have had on the Jeep so far.
I think it may have been easier to break off the rubber bushing, then use the vise grip

Reactions: UKTJ
OK, so I am no doubt being dumb, but this is the first time I have removed a shock.

How do I get the nut on the top mount on the front shock undone? When I turn the nut the upper part of the shock body rotates with it. I have looked at one of my new shocks and it does the same, so I guess it is meant to do that. I can't hold it tightly enough with my hand, so how do I stop the shock turning to get the nut undone?
Have you sprayed the hell out of the nut and bolt with penetrating oil? Recommend Kroil or Liquid Wrench. Let is sit for a day or so and then give it shot.

Reactions: UKTJ
Have you sprayed the hell out of the nut and bolt with penetrating oil? Recommend Kroil or Liquid Wrench. Let is sit for a day or so and then give it shot.
I sprayed all my hardware for 2 days. To be fair these were the only two I had any problem with. But I have yet to have a go at the rears…

I hope nobody else has the struggle I had with those top nuts. Nothing, and I mean nothing, would keep that shaft from spinning while loosening those nuts. Ultimately we had to weld a piece of steel onto the shaft for leverage to hold it still while those rusty-ass nuts were slowly cranked off. :confused:

Any wouldn't ya know it, all 4 upper rear bolts came out without issue. Go figure...

Swapping out shocks and coil springs....worked on passenger front today. Getting the shock off was very easy, but that coil spring was a bitch and a half. Had to deal with a budget boost from previous owner. Tomorrow I'll put the wheel back on and start on the driver side. Compressing the coil was not easy,any pointers?

Swapping out shocks and coil springs....worked on passenger front today. Getting the shock off was very easy, but that coil spring was a bitch and a half. Had to deal with a budget boost from previous owner. Tomorrow I'll put the wheel back on and start on the driver side. Compressing the coil was not easy,any pointers?
Loosen, but don't remove, the control arm and track bar bolts that pass through a rubber bushing. Disconnect the sway bar from the axle. The axle will drop much further. And you will learn a whole bunch of good things about bonded rubber bushings.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Loosen, but don't remove, the control arm and track bar bolts that pass through a rubber bushing. Disconnect the sway bar from the axle. The axle will drop much further. And you will learn a whole bunch of good things about bonded rubber bushings.
I did disconnect the sway bar links and will do the other two

Jack up one side of the axle and the other side will drop down, once the other stuff is disconnected.
yea easy if it wasn't for the budget boost

IMG_1438.jpeg

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
yea easy if it wasn't for the budget boost

View attachment 318093
Damn that's a tall budget boost you got there, I would also have struggled lol. Do what boogie and jjvw said. One thing that buys extra clearance if you haven't already is to remove the jounce bumper cups. You can reach into the spring at full droop to undo the cup bolt. It also helps to put weight down on the axle side you are trying to droop. I didn't have anyone to help me so I used my knee.

I actually disconnected my sway bar links, track bar, shocks, then drag link, not control arms when I did my springs. But I also was only installing a 1.25 inch lift. Your budget boost you are trying to remove looks to be 2-3 inches.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
the spring compressor I have only compresses on one side..actually the that was loaned to be is the wrong kind.....gotta search out for the one with 2 (Toledo Spring Compressor) I notice there are upper isolators/insulators
should there be lower ones too?

Last edited:
the spring compressor I have only compresses on one side..actually the that was loaned to be is the wrong kind.....gotta search out for the one with 2 (Toledo Spring Compressor) I notice there are upper isolators/insulators
should there be lower ones too?
I use the "loaner" Coil strut compressors from Advance auto when I install 4" springs. No lower isolators up front.
p.s. With the sway bar links, shocks and track bar disconnected, it will droop far enough to pop those out.
coil strut compressors.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper