Shock upgrade

Big-Al

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am looking to upgrade my shocks. Mainly because they are still the original ones in my 06. If i'm pulling a small 5x8 camper should i think about getting better shocks? Beef it up a little bit (or a lot)? Does it even matter for the shocks with towing?

Any good pair of shocks will be fine.

I'd recommend the Rancho RS5000X as they ride the best of any off-the-shelf shock for TJs, and they are also very cheap. You'll find they are probably the most popular choice for TJ shocks.

However, they also make an adjustable version, the Rancho RS9000XL. These ones have knobs on them where you can dial in how firm or soft they are. While not 100% necessary, they may be nice to have with the trailer, so you could always make them firmer in the rear when you were towing.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Any good pair of shocks will be fine.

I'd recommend the Rancho RS5000X as they ride the best of any off-the-shelf shock for TJs, and they are also very cheap. You'll find they are probably the most popular choice for TJ shocks.

However, they also make an adjustable version, the Rancho RS9000XL. These ones have knobs on them where you can dial in how firm or soft they are. While not 100% necessary, they may be nice to have with the trailer, so you could always make them firmer in the rear when you were towing.
Thanks for this. Very helpful. I'm going to check it out right now.

Reactions: Chris
Go with the 5000x shocks. Shocks don't do much for a trailer. That's where the spring rate comes in. Until you upgrade (really, really upgrade) your shocks they will all perform about the same for a given load. Just be sure to keep the trailer balanced and don't overload the Jeeps tow rating or tongue load.

Go with the 5000x shocks. Shocks don't do much for a trailer. That's where the spring rate comes in. Until you upgrade (really, really upgrade) your shocks they will all perform about the same for a given load. Just be sure to keep the trailer balanced and don't overload the Jeeps tow rating or tongue load.
Thanks

Try it as is driving close to home with the trailer loaded. The Jeep will tell you if you need shocks.
The shocks need to be replaced regardless. They're done. I was just curious that if I made a difference pulling a small trailer. I've been
trailering for the past year. Never had a real issue. It was just a curious if I needed or should upgrade for better performance. Thanks

I missed that you are buying shocks. I would not bias my choice around towing unless that is all you use your Jeep for. A fresh set of shocks should help stability with the trailer too. I am not impressed with the 5000x shocks for 3.5" lift, but I don't have much to compare them to.

I missed that you are buying shocks. I would not bias my choice around towing unless that is all you use your Jeep for. A fresh set of shocks should help stability with the trailer too. I am not impressed with the 5000x shocks for 3.5" lift, but I don't have much to compare them to.
Thanks

I love my Fox shocks but everyone loves their Rancho’s and for the price, seems hard to beat.

The shocks will help control your Jeep, but you might find a need for some internal bags if you end up with some tongue weight.

What does the trailer weigh? These Jeeps don’t like to tow.

I love my Fox shocks but everyone loves their Rancho’s and for the price, seems hard to beat.

The shocks will help control your Jeep, but you might find a need for some internal bags if you end up with some tongue weight.

What does the trailer weigh? These Jeeps don’t like to tow.
At most times 1500 to 1800 pounds

Reactions: Rick Flair
Not a problem at all if you properly load the trailer. The 4.0 will hardly notice. Just be aware the brakes will be the weak link and you'll be fine. 👍