• FOX

• KING

• Rancho

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gabe

TJ Goon
Supporting Member
Hello All,

I drive an '05 with a 2.5" lift. I am looking to replace the front and rear shocks. I found the correct size for the rear, but I can not for the front. Can I just pick the front shocks for 0-2" lift, or the 3"-4.5" lift?
Front.png
Rear.png

Advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Keep Calm
&
TJ on.

I run Rancho 5000X as do many others with nothing but praise. As far as which ones, it is best to cycle the suspension and take measurements to see which sku will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe
For reference:
In the front, 13.5" compressed length shocks fit with no bumpstop extension.
In the rear, 12.5" compressed length shocks fit with no bumpstop extension.

Regardless of lift height, subtract the compressed length of the new shocks you're trying to fit and you've got a good starting point for the required bumpstop extension.

Example: 15.5" compressed length shock equals 15.5" - 13.5" = 2" front bumpstop requirement.

For 2.5" of lift, if you're running 31" or 32" tires, 13.5" compressed length front shocks will work nicely. 13.5" compressed length rear shocks will as well, and require 1.25" of rear bumpstop extension. If you're running 33" tires, you can get 14.5" compressed length front shocks, but you'll need 1" front bumpstop extension, which you need anyway for the 33" tires, so it works out. The rear shocks will be the same as above, 13.5" compressed length, with 1.25"-1.5" rear bumpstop extension.

So if I were you, I'd actually get these ones:

Fronts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FU7S8S/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Rears:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WO11F8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are the Bilstein 5100 shocks meant for a 3" lift (I for some reason misread and though you had a 2" lift). Those ones will be slightly longer, but that's easily fixed with just a bit of bump stop extension. You could get the ones I mentioned previously, but those will be a little to short, since they are meant for a 0-2" lift, and you're better off with the shocks being a little too long as oppose to a little to short.

I love my Bilstein 5100s FYI. Had them for years now and they ride extremely well both on-road and off-road.

Those are the Bilstein 5100 shocks meant for a 3" lift (I for some reason misread and though you had a 2" lift). Those ones will be slightly longer, but that's easily fixed with just a bit of bump stop extension. You could get the ones I mentioned previously, but those will be a little to short, since they are meant for a 0-2" lift, and you're better off with the shocks being a little too long as oppose to a little to short.[/QUOTE]

I run 31" tires. So, better to go longer than shorter, right?

Those are the Bilstein 5100 shocks meant for a 3" lift (I for some reason misread and though you had a 2" lift). Those ones will be slightly longer, but that's easily fixed with just a bit of bump stop extension. You could get the ones I mentioned previously, but those will be a little to short, since they are meant for a 0-2" lift, and you're better off with the shocks being a little too long as oppose to a little to short.

I run 31" tires. So, better to go longer than shorter, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes! I would much rather go longer as oppose to shorter.