Shocks for TJ

Mudguard2004

Replacing the worn shocks on my 2004 TJ Rubicon (3” lift). Recommendations? The sky is not the limit, but I’m willing to pay more if they’re worth it. Mostly paved road , but also play on the rocks.

search forum, this is a popular topic here that comes up few times a month

The Rancho RS5000X are a very popular budget shock. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you could go with custom tuned Fox shocks.

Shocks...lol...something everyone opines on...yet the only one that matters is you.
The kind of ride you're hoping for....
I'll mention only the ones we sell that are decent.
Out of the box...
These are the firmest...
Bilstein 5100 series
Fox
Rancho 7000 (although on hiatus at present until new facility is completed)

Rancho 5000x is 150 psi charge.
More firm than typical hydro shocks but definitely not as firm as the above 3.

Skyjacker black max is an excellent hydro shock and the only one I'd recommend.
It doesn't fade like hydro's of old and definitely smoother than the above.

That said remember it's all on you.
What might be perfect to me is way too harsh for you and vice versa....something perfectly smooth to driver A might be spongy or squishy feeling to Driver B.

Good luck

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Thanks all. Decided on the Ranchos. Couldn’t justify the cost of he Fox shocks since the plan is to sell the TJ and move up to a 4 door in the rather near future. The reviews on the Rancho shocks were great given the cost. We’ll see!

Shocks...lol...something everyone opines on...yet the only one that matters is you.
The kind of ride you're hoping for....
I'll mention only the ones we sell that are decent.
Out of the box...
These are the firmest...
Bilstein 5100 series
Fox
Rancho 7000 (although on hiatus at present until new facility is completed)

Rancho 5000x is 150 psi charge.
More firm than typical hydro shocks but definitely not as firm as the above 3.

Skyjacker black max is an excellent hydro shock and the only one I'd recommend.
It doesn't fade like hydro's of old and definitely smoother than the above.

That said remember it's all on you.
What might be perfect to me is way too harsh for you and vice versa....something perfectly smooth to driver A might be spongy or squishy feeling to Driver B.

Good luck
Like you said, this is such a frequent topic on here. But I like how you specified the Rancho RS5000X pressure, and acknowledge its firmness in comparison to the other three.

I have an SE that is very light and spends most of its time on the road. When I installed the Rancho RS5000Xs I was surprised they weren’t softer. Would the Skyjackers that you mentioned be a bit smoother (on the road) for my very lightweight rig?

Like you said, this is such a frequent topic on here. But I like how you specified the Rancho RS5000X pressure, and acknowledge its firmness in comparison to the other three.

I have an SE that is very light and spends most of its time on the road. When I installed the Rancho RS5000Xs I was surprised they weren’t softer. Would the Skyjackers that you mentioned be a bit smoother (on the road) for my very lightweight rig?
Absolutely...
Skyjacker doesn't have the massive advertising pocket of Tenneco....
(the parent company of Rancho,Moog,Walker,Monroe, etc)

Rancho has always done a great job of marketing. They were involved in the 4wd/Jeep business deaceds before Tenneco acquired them in 1990. Since then their advertising budget increased leaps and bounds building upon an already massive foot presence in the industry.

Skyjacker is a much smaller company and honestly does a good job in their little world of things. They don't however have the advertising monster machine of Rancho.

After wading through all that gibberish you didn't need to know..lol.....
absolutely positively i believe you'll find the Blackmax shock to run smoother than the Rancho 5000x.

I don't care what brand I sell and install to a customer. I'm making the same amount either way so I've no biased opinion.
I can tell you the bkackmax shock is a smoother shock on the TJ platform than the Rancho 5000X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weasellee and pc1p
Thanks all. Decided on the Ranchos. Couldn’t justify the cost of he Fox shocks since the plan is to sell the TJ and move up to a 4 door in the rather near future. The reviews on the Rancho shocks were great given the cost. We’ll see!
Good decision, I had a set and liked them a lot.

Reactions: JMT
After wading through all that gibberish you didn't need to know..lol.....
absolutely positively i believe you'll find the Blackmax shock to run smoother than the Rancho 5000x.

I don't care what brand I sell and install to a customer. I'm making the same amount either way so I've no biased opinion.
I can tell you the bkackmax shock is a smoother shock on the TJ platform than the Rancho 5000X.

Thanks very much. So, these SEs are light not only by having the 2.5/2.4, but also because they are kept light (gear, accessories) so the little 4-popper can do its thing. Are there any other shocks, like the Skyjackers you've mentioned, that are known to be a bit softer, for these lighter rigs?

Edit: p.s. what off-road performance (if any) am I compromising by moving toward a shock that is softer and smoother on the road?

Last edited:
Thanks very much. So, these SEs are light not only by having the 2.5/2.4, but also because they are kept light (gear, accessories) so the little 4-popper can do its thing. Are there any other shocks, like the Skyjackers you've mentioned, that are known to be a bit softer, for these lighter rigs?

Edit: p.s. what off-road performance (if any) am I compromising by moving toward a shock that is softer and smoother on the road?
No compromise if using the Blackmax.

If you're running the Baja you wouldn't be using the 5000x either.

For a little TJ...the bkackmax shock out of the box is excellent.
Plus a couple little benefits.
They can mount in any direction...
They're Black and the finish holds up very well.
At least in a perceived manner the black finish holds up much better than Rancho white.

Reactions: SSTJ
No compromise if using the Blackmax.

If you're running the Baja you wouldn't be using the 5000x either.

For a little TJ...the bkackmax shock out of the box is excellent.
Plus a couple little benefits.
They can mount in any direction...
They're Black and the finish holds up very well.
At least in a perceived manner the black finish holds up much better than Rancho white.

Thanks again. I know we're off-topic from the OP's post, but since he's made his decision I feel ok about it. :)

I'm wondering, just for reference/comparison, if you also know the pressure of Bilstein 5100s, or the Skyjackers, or even something like an OEM replacement Monroe that I found on my SE? I'm just curious how these pressures compare, and how much impact that has on the stiffness of the shock, versus other factors of a shock's design.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Weasellee
Thanks again. I know we're off-topic from the OP's post, but since he's made his decision I feel ok about it. :)

I'm wondering, just for reference/comparison, if you also know the pressure of Bilstein 5100s, or the Skyjackers, or even something like an OEM replacement Monroe that I found on my SE? I'm just curious how these pressures compare, and how much impact that has on the stiffness of the shock, versus other factors of a shock's design.

Thanks again.
The gas pressure is completely irrelevant. The differences between any of these is purely the valving.

Reactions: SSTJ