Shocks: Gas Charged vs Hydraulic

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey!

Let’s just compare gas charged vs hydraulic shocks!

In which case is the one better than the other?

*My main focus is between Skyjacker Black Max (hydraulic) and Rancho rs5000x (gas)

You want to change your Ranchos? Had any issues with them?
They are short, so I want to buy longer ones. I am between longer Ranchos and the Skyjacker Black Maxes.

A lot of people claim that Skyjacker are softer than Ranchos, especially in a light rig such as mine.

Why? What didn’t you learn from googling the subject? Or is this another “oil” thread because you’re as bored as I am today?
A little bit of both.

Mainly I am not 100% sure that I have a clear understanding of the use of each type of shock.

They are short, so I want to buy longer ones. I am between longer Ranchos and the Skyjacker Black Maxes.

A lot of people claim that Skyjacker are softer than Ranchos, especially in a light rig such as mine.
Oh ok. I have no personal experience with Ranchos but I know that this forum loves them, unlike the skyjacker in general as a brand.

Personally, I recently changed to OME shocks and I’m happy with their performance both on and off road.

I know you are lighter than me but with OME you can pick between light and heavy loads…

Reactions: skrelnik

I wouldn't have wanted a softer ride than what the RS5000x gave me, it was a very comfortable non-stiff ride with great offroad control. Not to mention if it says Skyjacker (Rough Country, MC, etc.) it's not going on my TJ. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: twistedlv
My basic understanding is gas charging was an evolution/improvement in shock technology.

Not sure why they would even make non-gas charged shocks anymore other than to hit a cheaper price point?

You mean between shocks? I thought only between springs
Yeah between shocks as well. In my case I got the heavy ones for the front (4.0 aftermarket bumper and winch) and the light ones for the back (no rear seat and softop).

My basic understanding is gas charging was an evolution/improvement in shock technology.

Not sure why they would even make non-gas charged shocks anymore other than to hit a cheaper price point?
The benefit to a shock being gas-charged is it won't fade if you're doing high-speed stuff. Not many people do high-speed stuff where the extra expense of being gas charged is warranted.

The benefit to a shock being gas-charged is it won't fade if you're doing high-speed stuff. Not many people do high-speed stuff where the extra expense of being gas charged is warranted.
So wouldn’t it be better to run an hydraulic shock?
Softer for on road purposes and softer on slow speed off road.
Less expensive and likely more travel for the same lift.

Am I missing anything?

Yeah between shocks as well. In my case I got the heavy ones for the front (4.0 aftermarket bumper and winch) and the light ones for the back (no rear seat and softop).
Do you by any chance know the part numbers for the shocks? Heavy vs light

So wouldn’t it be better to run an hydraulic shock?
Softer for on road purposes and softer on slow speed off road.
Less expensive and likely more travel for the same lift.
Hydraulic and gas-charged shocks don't have a lock on riding stiff or soft. Some hydraulics ride stiff as hell, some gas charged shocks ride stiff as hell. And visa-versa. My current hydraulic Rancho RS9000xl shocks, set on their softest setting, ride more stiffly than my gas-charged Rancho RS5000x shocks did.

Found this one from the ARB Europe website.

C61CD1AA-7FAB-4AD4-B099-1CC3C186FCA6.jpeg

Reactions: TJim
Hydraulic and gas-charged shocks don't have a lock on riding stiff or soft. Some hydraulics ride stiff as hell, some gas charged shocks ride stiff as hell. And visa-versa. My current hydraulic Rancho RS9000xl shocks, set on their softest setting, ride more stiffly than my gas-charged Rancho RS5000x shocks did.
Are there any major drawbacks I should be aware of?
Besides high speed stuff?

Btw, how come you have narrow it down to these two? From what know/see OME and Fox are the most commonly used here in Greece.

Btw, how come you have narrow it down to these two? From what know/see OME and Fox are the most commonly used here in Greece.
People here dont really like the new OME shocks.

Fox are pretty expensive ones.

Rancho and SJ are the most budget friendly + value for money as far as I am concerned.