Shocks: Gas Charged vs Hydraulic

You are ignoring the valving. Valving determines the ride quality.
Assuming that SJ Black max is a budget friendly good solution for a light rig, according to some people in this forum. (I will have to try myself to be 100% sure)

Is there any major drawback than by being hydraulic shocks I should be aware of?

Really? I see a lot TJs/JKs with OME shocks.

That’s true and I don’t know if they are worth the $. I’m not saying they are not, I just don’t know.
Yeap. For example, I’ve seen in many threads @Jerry Bransford claims that he used to run the old OME shocks. But when they changed them, they were too stiff for him.
If I recall correctly he claimed that Rancho rs5000x are similar to old OMEs.

For our Jeeps the shock valving and size are far more important than the technology in the shock. The way I see it gas shocks are "better" than hydraulic but there are still ups and downs of both but those differences aren't worth serious consideration for most people. Those on this forum that have tried both RS5000X and the Black Max shocks have really liked the Black Max. I would not listen at all to people posting you should pick one over the other that haven't tried them both.

Reactions: Jamison C and TJim
Yeap. For example, I’ve seen in many threads @Jerry Bransford claims that he used to run the old OME shocks. But when they changed them, they were too stiff for him.
If I recall correctly he claimed that Rancho rs5000x are similar to old OMEs.
Sorry, correction. By “here” I meant Greece, not the forum. Cause you live in Athens too.

Indeed most opinions so can recall from here (the forum 😉) were not so supportive for the new OME shocks. I happen to like them though.

Sorry, correction. By “here” I meant Greece, not the forum. Cause you live in Athens too.

Indeed most opinions so can recall from here (the forum 😉) were not so supportive for the new OME shocks. I happen to like them though.
Oh my bad!
I tend to trust more people of the forum than of Greece. They seem to be more experienced. Haha no offense of course!

Oh my bad!
I tend to trust more people of the forum than of Greece. They seem to be more experienced. Haha no offense of course!
Goes without saying. The majority of Jeep mechanics in Greece are clowns IMO.

Personally I go to a local garage (not Jeep-specific) where I trust the guys over there as that’s what I think is the most important thing. Plus, I get to do some work myself when I can, which I really like.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I just ordered a set of Black Max shocks for the back of my LJ. Currently I have the Rancho 5000x's. The fronts are great but the rears seem a bit stiff. I don't daily drive mine and it gets towed to most trails so I am not to concerned about fading or high speed performance. Hopefully I'll get the new shocks installed next weekend and will see if they make any substantial difference.

Reactions: TJim and skrelnik
Are there any major drawbacks I should be aware of?
Besides high speed stuff?
I don't know of any major drawbacks to either unless used in the wrong application. Like don't use hydraulics in high speed applications. I don't know of any drawbacks to gas-charged if the valving is correct other than being more expensive.

Reactions: pagrey and TJim
I didn't think hydraulic allowed the same level of rebound. Maybe I'm stereotyping but I thought with hydraulic if you were to fully compress it without a load it would very slowly work its way back out. Where with a gas shock it would not only decompress quicker but would have more resistance when compressing.

I know valving would come into play with how firm or soft they would compress. But in general I thought the rebound would be quicker decompressing on a gas shock.

I didn't think hydraulic allowed the same level of rebound. Maybe I'm stereotyping but I thought with hydraulic if you were to fully compress it without a load it would very slowly work its way back out. Where with a gas shock it would not only decompress quicker but would have more resistance when compressing.

I know valving would come into play with how firm or soft they would compress. But in general I thought the rebound would be quicker decompressing on a gas shock.
Not in any way that matters. The spring that supports 850lbs of Jeep pushes harder than a gas charged shock that can be squeezed with body weight.

I dont think a purely hydraulic shock will "decompress" at all.

The reason the piston goes back out is because there is more surface area on the bottom of the piston compared to the top (the top has the rod connected and where the rod connects there is no psi being applied.) So there should be equal pressure in all the fluid but it's just a side effect that it extends on it's own of there being more surface area underneath. The gas charging goal is to keep all the fluid under pressure, not provide extra resistance, damping, lift capacity, etc.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I swapped out my rear Ranchos with the Black Max shocks this past weekend and took the LJ out for a test run. Overall the Black Max did improve the ride. They are much softer on smaller bumps and did fine on a washboarded road. I'm still running the 5000's on the front. I'm not sure if there is any issue with mixing hydraulic and gas charged shocks but since my Jeep rarely spends anytime on the road I'm not to worried about it. I'm not fan of Skyjacker but overall I was pleased with the shocks as compared to the Ranchos. The finish was well applied and the welds are smooth. The shocks are much narrower than the Ranchos 5000's. The bodies are very similar to the 9000's. When I switched from the 9000's to the 5000's I had to notch my spring perches for clearance. They did come with the bar pins installed on the shock body end but can be run in either direction so I just left it.
20220118_113242.jpg

Reactions: TJim
I swapped out my rear Ranchos with the Black Max shocks this past weekend and took the LJ out for a test run. Overall the Black Max did improve the ride. They are much softer on smaller bumps and did fine on a washboarded road. I'm still running the 5000's on the front. I'm not sure if there is any issue with mixing hydraulic and gas charged shocks but since my Jeep rarely spends anytime on the road I'm not to worried about it. I'm not fan of Skyjacker but overall I was pleased with the shocks as compared to the Ranchos. The finish was well applied and the welds are smooth. The shocks are much narrower than the Ranchos 5000's. The bodies are very similar to the 9000's. When I switched from the 9000's to the 5000's I had to notch my spring perches for clearance. They did come with the bar pins installed on the shock body end but can be run in either direction so I just left it.
View attachment 303477
Which shock controls the Jeep more?

Which shock controls the Jeep more?
For my Jeep I personally found the Rancho 9000's to be the best controlled shocks on the road. Compared to the 5000's they felt more planted and better in cornering. If I were daily driving my Jeep I would still have the 9000's. The 5000's are still good but a little softer. This could be largely a result of my being able to adjust the 9000's for my suspension. Offroad the 5000's were more compliant. It is possible I could have improved the 9000's by adjusting them for offroad but once I set them I never bothered to adjust them again. I can't give a full comparison of the Black Max since I only have them installed on the rear. They definitely feel like a hydraulic shock, if that makes sense. They have more of a spongey feel to them so I would expect them to offer the least control for general driving.

Reactions: jjvw and TJim
I've seen a number of comments about not using hydraulic shocks is situations that involve speed. However, I've also read that the foam cell design of the BM shock allows it to be 90% as capable at resisting cavitation as a gas charged shock. Granted I've never run an expensive custom valved shock, but I have run at least 6 different shock setups over the years. The one that provides the best ride, for my needs and comfort, has been BM. I've run them repeatedly up and down a nasty washboard dirt road, at 45 to 50 MPH, to see if I could notice any fade. I can't say if the 90% number I read is accurate. I can say that after three back-to-back round trips, at speed, up and down this roughly 1.5 mile stretch, the rear stayed under control and I saw no evidence of fade or misbehavior.

Frankly, one of the main reasons I went with these shocks to begin with was they offered lengths that worked with my oddball setup. I hate to admit it, but this is a case where I'm with @Jerry Bransford . It was never my intention to put anything with a Skyjacker name on or under my Jeep. So far, it's not a decision I've regretted. That said, like other things with our Jeeps, each is different and you're going to have to do some experimenting of your own to find out what works best for you.

skyjacker-black-max-comfort-002.jpg

Reactions: 06lj and TJim
I don't know much about it but this seems to agree with your experience @Irun. This was interesting to read, "Many foam cell shocks are developed for high heat environments, as they typically do better than Nitrogen Gas charged shocks in resisting fade through heavy use."

Reactions: Irun