Shocks /help!!

Basiasadie

TJ Enthusiast
cb4aa8ecc55f7e90e44d73579672eba2.jpg

Ughhh so this just happened. I'm going to replace the bolt tomorrow, however the shocks are in serious need of replacement.
19ba976e9aa296a01cd9024ff8db1310.jpg
I'm not sure what lift I have(I know I know but I bought it with it)
What shocks would you guys recommend? It's a 2003 Rubicon, I'm not sure of any other info I need. :/ please help cause I have no idea what I'm getting into. /also is this even the right sub forum?

You're going to find so many varying opinions on shocks. I've run both the Fox aluminum body shocks and the Bilstein 5100s. I absolutely love Bilstein shocks. Had them on all my previous vehicles as well and can't say enough positive things about them.

Reactions: Basiasadie
If you want Rancho 9000XLs, I have them on sale for 20% off and free shipping. Plus you get the mail-in rebate of $100.00 Use coupon code "RAN9K20" at checkout. Just sayin.

If you want Rancho 9000XLs, I have them on sale for 20% off and free shipping. Plus you get the mail-in rebate of $100.00 Use coupon code "RAN9K20" at checkout. Just sayin.
Is the rebate still good? I thought it was for March only?

Ordered the 241/239 shocks. Awesome deal with the discount plus the rebate. Thanks Allen!

AOR rules!

You ain't kidding! I come home from work today and the shocks were at my door. Just three days? It's insane how quickly they got here.

Allen just got himself another loyal customer......

Luckily Summit Racing allowed me to return the RS5000x shocks and these are replacing them:

shocks9k_zpsrdcxecfa.jpg

When I had mine I put the boots on cause it looked cool. They did nothing but retain the crap against the shock and caused rusting

When I had mine I put the boots on cause it looked cool. They did nothing but retain the crap against the shock and caused rusting

I've always ran boots to keep the salt off the shafts and it works great. Without the boots, the shock shafts will rust up after just one winter and eventually the seal starts to leak.

When I was younger I was following the trend of "don't use boots, they clog up with mud and debris" until rusty shock rods became worse so I started using the boots to prevent that. I'm a mudder and I have not had any problems with mud or debris getting stuck in the boot and my shock rods do not rust out anymore. I just removed four year old Bilstein 5100's off my Cherokee two months ago, which had the boots on since day one, and they were empty and the shock rod was clean like new.

But for these shocks I won't be using the boots....because they are red. I have blue coils and a black jeep. It's too many colors to me so I will get some black boots instead. :)

Last edited:
I've always ran boots to keep the salt off the shafts and it works great. Without the boots, the shock shafts will rust up after just one winter and eventually the seal starts to leak.

When I was younger I was following the trend of "don't use boots, they clog up with mud and debris" until rusty shock rods became worse so I started using the boots to prevent that. I'm a mudder and I have not had any problems with mud or debris getting stuck in the boot and my shock rods do not rust out anymore. I just removed four year old Bilstein 5100's off my Cherokee two months ago, which had the boots on since day one, and they were empty and the shock rod was clean like new.

But for these shocks I won't be using the boots....because they are red. I have blue coils and black jeep. Too many colors. I will get some black boots instead. :)
By crap I meant salt. After a couple of seasons of Salt Lake County winter roads my shocks were shot from crap trapped behind those boots. After I got rid of them I never had a problem.
To each their own.

By crap I meant salt. After a couple of seasons of Salt Lake County winter roads my shocks were shot from crap trapped behind those boots. After I got rid of them I never had a problem.
To each their own.

Interesting cuz I've experience the opposite. I'm in Western PA and they pour more salt on our roads than Mcdonalds uses on their fries:

shockshaft_zpsezxjiiuj.jpg

bilsteins_zpsptujkzmw.jpg

Everything inside the boot was in great shape.

Last edited:
Maybe it was because of the exposure. I ran 40 canyon miles of salted roads 5 days a week. For years. Need some boots? I think I have some left over:rolleyes:

Maybe it was because of the exposure. I ran 40 canyon miles of salted roads 5 days a week. For years. Need some boots? I think I have some left over:rolleyes:

Perhaps. I DD'd the cherokee in the winter time cuz I didn't care if it rusted up (and it did....horribly) but my commute wasn't that far.

If you got black boots I'll take em off your hands. PM me a price. :)

Thanks!

On the road for next couple of months. I'll check what I have when we get home.