Shocks. The good the bad and the ugly.

Thank you to this forum I have successfully up-dated my shocks to the Rancho rs5000x and with amazing results. Out on my test drive, I stopped by the bank and demanded they throw quarters around the parking lot while I drove around still in my ski mask. As some have said I can no longer tell if they are heads or tails anymore.

If you are at all on the fence over which shocks to put on your TJ just stop already. Too much wasted time already. Get the Rancho shocks and do it now.

Reactions: RitualHabitual
OK
Lets open this can of worms again...
So, I have no doubt that the Ranchos are a great fit for my 99 TJ with a 2" lift and am ready to pull the trigger on a set. However, from a simply aesthetic point of view, I just know I'm not going to like the red color under my ride. So, while browsing shocks, I came across the Pro Comp "Pro Runner Monotube" shocks which are silver/white and would make me "feel" better when looking at my TJ.
Now, accepting this is a shallow reason to not go with the Ranchos, give me some input on the Pro Comp Pro Runners. Are they any better than the dreaded ES3000/9000 shocks? Anyone running these and happy with them?
Thanks
Rear
Front

OK
So, I have no doubt that the Ranchos are a great fit for my 99 TJ with a 2" lift and am ready to pull the trigger on a set. However, from a simply aesthetic point of view, I just know I'm not going to like the red color under my ride. So, while browsing shocks, I came across the Pro Comp "Pro Runner Monotube" shocks which are silver/white and would make me "feel" better when looking at my TJ.
Now, accepting this is a shallow reason to not go with the Ranchos, give me some input on the Pro Comp Pro Runners. Are they any better than the dreaded ES3000/9000 shocks? Anyone running these and happy with them?
Thanks
Rear
Front

They only have red if you use the boots which most people don't. So really, they are white. If you don't like white ... paint them.

As far as monotube shocks, they will probably be WAY WAY too stiff on a light TJ ... plus, they are made by ProComp.

Reactions: Bill M. and Squatch
OK
Thanks
Rear
Hey just about any shock will work fine on a Mall Crawler. Just go for your favorite color.

If you really want boots and don't like red, there are many places that sell colored boots for under $5

exp-11127.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Blanquito
I came across this thread looking for info on the RS7000MTs, but I just happened to do what you were talking about a few months ago. Adds a couple days to the project for paint, clear coat drying, but there you go. Turns out they don't make RS5000Xs (which I really like on TJ#1) for greater than a 3.5" lift so I ordered RS7000MTs for TJ#2. Based on Rancho's description in their promotional video they seem to be very similar tech to the RS5000X. I'm changing them out along with my drive shaft+SYE in a couple weeks so I'll let you know how it rides if I remember to. Hoping for same the big improvement I experienced in TJ#1 with the below pictured.
IMG_7356.jpeg

IMG_7739.jpeg

Last edited:
I came across this thread looking for info on the RS7000MTs, but I just happened to do what you were talking about a few months ago. Adds a couple days to the project for paint, clear coat drying, but there you go. Turns out they don't make RS5000Xs (which I really like on TJ#1) for greater than a 3.5" lift so I ordered RS7000MTs for TJ#2 (. Based on Rancho's description in their promotional video they seem to be very similar tech to the RS5000X. I'm changing them out along with my drive shaft+SYE in a couple weeks so I'll let you know how it rides if I remember to. Hoping for same the big improvement I experienced in TJ#1 with the below.
View attachment 178427

View attachment 178428
Thanks !!

Okay, it’s been over a year since I posted, but here’s the question.

Does anyone have the Rancho RS5000x part numbers for 4” lift with outboard rears? (For that matter old 5000s or 9000s that could be interpolated)

I’ll be posting updates soon.

Just another vote for the Rancho RS5000X shocks for my "97 Sport.
It went from driving like a pregnant water melon ready to roll over to a "relatively" comfortable ride.

Reactions: CodaMan
OK
Thanks
Rear
Front

I have the Pro Runners ( Monotube tube ) with 4" lift and I'm very happy with them. The shocks that came on the Jeep when I bought it was extremely stiff... Not sure what brand they were, they were plain white. Coming off a speed bump they had no give, now the Pro Runners are softer when coming off the speed bump. Would use them again. Haven't run the Rancho's on the Jeep, so can't compare them the the Pro Runners

The only experience I've had with RS5000 was on my 4 Runner and they were fine there.