Shop fail

Well I’m 63 years old and was a little intimidated by the thought of installing the SYE. I believe this is a good shop, I just had some bad luck maybe. But on the other hand, My Jeep has less than 80 k miles and is in good condition. Not that that matters but they shouldn’t have had any problems with the install.
The only way to guarantee no problems with the install is to make all the parts themselves and that's not gonna happen. Hopefully it is something simple.

This is another post justifying doing all this stuff yourself. So frustrating.
Reminds me of when a local shop changed my freeze plugs then claimed my MML made it impossible for them to reinstall the motor.

I brought a bag of tools with me and re-installed my engine at their shop —> so I could get my rig the fuck out of there.

They also said my precats were good when one of them had the media snapped off and lodged at a 45 degree angle.

They also had my brand new Banks intake and original AC parts on the ground outside sitting it water puddles, and my compressor failed within weeks due to lack of oil during my first Offroad trip at three feathers in 117 desert heat (my engine stalled after smoke checking the belt when the compressor seized). The Jeep’s ambient temp gauge said it was145 degrees out lol. My pup was not happy at all during that six hour span.

(Flushed and replaced all ac parts other than the evaporator and all has been good).

Fuck shitty mechanics who’s skillsets don’t match their entitled egos.

Can you tell that it is actually leaking there at the tail housing to case joint or could it be coming from the speedo sender o-ring? Not doubting you, it is just hard to tell sometimes. It would be unlikely for that to leak there unless they really screwed up somehow. It would be far more likely for it to leak at the sender.
Thank you for that information. I didn’t notice that it was leaking till it sat overnight so it looked dry except there. I’ll have to check for that tomorrow

Reactions: mrblaine
Can you tell that it is actually leaking there at the tail housing to case joint or could it be coming from the speedo sender o-ring? Not doubting you, it is just hard to tell sometimes. It would be unlikely for that to leak there unless they really screwed up somehow. It would be far more likely for it to leak at the sender.
It is a JB SS SYE , does it have a speedo sender o-ring

It is a JB SS SYE , does it have a speedo sender o-ring
Yes, but that one is not as prone to being cut. The o-ring I believe is new and installed on the sender. The other style does not get a new o-ring and it has typically swollen some from contact with trans fluid so it cuts very easily upon reinstallation.

Yes, but that one is not as prone to being cut. The o-ring I believe is new and installed on the sender. The other style does not get a new o-ring and it has typically swollen some from contact with trans fluid so it cuts very easily upon reinstallation.
Thank you, l may clean off the leakage, refill and take a short drive and inspect

Reactions: mrblaine
Back when i had a JB ss SYE i had issues with their sensor o rings leaking. I believe their supply of "good" sensors dried up and they went to whatever they could find. I had 2 sensors read erratically and of the 3 sensors they sent me, 2 leaked.

Although i didnt piss all of the t case fluid out, it was a decent enough leak to be a pain in the ass.

Back when i had a JB ss SYE i had issues with their sensor o rings leaking. I believe their supply of "good" sensors dried up and they went to whatever they could find. I had 2 sensors read erratically and of the 3 sensors they sent me, 2 leaked.

Although i didnt piss all of the t case fluid out, it was a decent enough leak to be a pain in the ass.
Mine has leaked a lot on the long drive home. I did remove the fill plug and was able to determine there was some fluid left but it was way low

Mine has leaked a lot on the long drive home. I did remove the fill plug and was able to determine there was some fluid left but it was way low
I would do as previously recommended and clean it up with brake clean. Take a brief drive and see if you can identify the leak point. Remember that fluid cant leak up!

Reactions: MikeE024
I would do as previously recommended and clean it up with brake clean. Take a brief drive and see if you can identify the leak point. Remember that fluid cant leak up!
Thanks everyone that is a good plan.

If it's as much fluid as you say I suspect the outer seal. I grabbed mine from NAPA. When mine leaked it was a very large puddle on the garage floor overnight

National 472572. I put a very thin coat of rtv on mine when it was replaced because the national seal didn't have the tfe sealer on it.

20200111_135033.jpg

I had the axle bearings and seals changed on my Dana 44. Only drove it 10 or 15 miles before we hooked up and headed to Cali from Arizona. When we got to Cali, I could smell the diff fluid and see that it was leaking again. I called the guy who did it, and after looking at my work order on the computer, he told me that the mech who did it wasn't working there anymore and to bring it back and he'd fix it. Guess that guy screwed up one job too many. Owner personally did the work for me and 2 years later, leak free.