Shop fail

GPK03X

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Should have listened to the forum guys to do it yourself. Although I did install my MML,BL,Bumpers,winch,on board air and UCF TC skid myself, l decided to have a shop install my SS SYE ,control arms and rear track bar and bracket. Drove it home about 100 hundred miles Friday after work. Went out to the garage this morning to find trans fluid everywhere. Bummer

Take it straight back and make them fix it on their dime.
Absolutely,I’ve been in contact with them by text. Of course they said “ when can you bring it back”. Same shop did my gears and lockers and I had no problems. The shop is close to where I work, the problem is that’s 100 miles from my house.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Absolutely,I’ve been in contact with them by text. Of course they said “ when can you bring it back”. Same shop did my gears and lockers and I had no problems. The shop is close to where I work, the problem is that’s 100 miles from my house.
So I checked the fluid level and it is really low but not empty. I’m going to refill it and drive it back after I talk to them Monday.

Well maybe... we don't know what's wrong yet.
I let a shop do my axle u-joints and wheel bearings on my XJ during the winter. Got it home and the next morning both axle seals were leaking bad. I called the mechanic and told him. He said the axle seals were probably the originals. I said, "you're probably right, but they weren't leaking before you touched it." He had to fix it for free and wasn't happy about it at all. I told him to be more careful on the next one he does.

I’m not surprised. I honestly think that good automotive shops are few and far between these days. I’ve come to the conclusion I’ll do what I can myself and the difficult stuff will go to only the most reputable places.

Reactions: matkal and Tob
Shouldnt you figure out what’s making it leak before driving it 100 miles?
Yes I can see where it’s leaking. Although the silicone seal between the case and the new short case part ( whatever you call that) looks good, that’s where it’s leaking. I’m not going to drive the Jeep on Monday back to work. I only come home on weekends as I have an apartment in the building where I work. So on the next Monday I’ll top off the fluid and head out.

I’m not surprised. I honestly think that good automotive shops are few and far between these days. I’ve come to the conclusion I’ll do what I can myself and the difficult stuff will go to only the most reputable places.
Well I’m 63 years old and was a little intimidated by the thought of installing the SYE. I believe this is a good shop, I just had some bad luck maybe. But on the other hand, My Jeep has less than 80 k miles and is in good condition. Not that that matters but they shouldn’t have had any problems with the install.

Well I’m 63 years old and was a little intimidated by the thought of installing the SYE. I believe this is a good shop, I just had some bad luck maybe. But on the other hand, My Jeep has less than 80 k miles and is in good condition. Not that that matters but they shouldn’t have had any problems with the install.
A good shop would have driven it around a bit before having you pick it up. Maybe they did and this is just a fluke. However, it seems to me that most shops just finish stuff up, let it idle for a bit, and then send it home. Anyways, nothing against you. I understand that not everyone can work on their car themselves. I am merely lamenting that it’s come to the point that it’s so hard to find good shops out there that we have to start thinking about doing it ourselves if we want it done correctly. No one cares about your vehicle more than you do. Just like nobody cares about your kid more than you do.

Anyways, carry-on. I meant nothing by my remark.

A good shop would have driven it around a bit before having you pick it up. Maybe they did and this is just a fluke. However, it seems to me that most shops just finish stuff up, let it idle for a bit, and then send it home. Anyways, nothing against you. I understand that not everyone can work on their car themselves. I am merely lamenting that it’s come to the point that it’s so hard to find good shops out there that we have to start thinking about doing it ourselves if we want it done correctly. No one cares about your vehicle more than you do. Just like nobody cares about your kid more than you do.

Anyways, carry-on. I meant nothing by my remark.
That’s a very good point about them checking their work. I actually left it there a day after it was done so it’s not like I was rushing them. I did get under it and checked it out when I picked it up. Everything looked good and was dry.I absolutely understand what you said and took no offense.

I let a shop do my axle u-joints and wheel bearings on my XJ during the winter. Got it home and the next morning both axle seals were leaking bad. I called the mechanic and told him. He said the axle seals were probably the originals. I said, "you're probably right, but they weren't leaking before you touched it." He had to fix it for free and wasn't happy about it at all. I told him to be more careful on the next one he does.
That's another not my circus, not my monkey. There is nothing they did or could have done swapping axles to cause a leak with the single exception of undersize seal surfaces as in putting 27 spline shafts in 30 spline seals.

I'll bet good money the diff was over-filled, they pulled the axle shaft out and the excess ran out into the tube. Later it worked its way to the end and OH MY GOD, I have a leak now. No, you just overfilled your diff and that ain't my problem.

But, I know owners like to overfill the shit out of everything so I do one side at a time and I jack that side up a foot taller so I don't get to listen to folks about "leaking seals" that really aren't. Guess what? No leaks.

Reactions: NskLJ
Even Good shops make mistakes. The part that sucks is that it is a 100mi drive back to have them make it right. Give them credit for offering to make it right.

Reactions: L J
Yes I can see where it’s leaking. Although the silicone seal between the case and the new short case part ( whatever you call that) looks good, that’s where it’s leaking. I’m not going to drive the Jeep on Monday back to work. I only come home on weekends as I have an apartment in the building where I work. So on the next Monday I’ll top off the fluid and head out.
Can you tell that it is actually leaking there at the tail housing to case joint or could it be coming from the speedo sender o-ring? Not doubting you, it is just hard to tell sometimes. It would be unlikely for that to leak there unless they really screwed up somehow. It would be far more likely for it to leak at the sender.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney