California Shop for regear in Escondido for my 06 LJ

Mikey T

Hello,

I am looking for a shop to regear for 2006 LJ Rubicon to 4.88's. Anyone have any suggestions? I am in the North County San Diego area.

Thanks!
Mike.

I'd talk with Martin at Mobile Gears at 959-306-2805. He has a mobile truck that either comes to you or he may have you come up to Corona where he rents a shop on the weekend. He does a couple regears a day, he's one of the true few experts due to how many he has done over the years. He did some work for me a couple months ago.

Mobile-Gear-Truck.jpg.jpg

Or John Lemieux at All 4Wheel Drive in Corona. He's a little more costly than Martin because he has a shop he has to pay rent on. Those two are the best around.

Or if you absolutely want someone in Escondido where I have lived for almost 30 years, go talk to Kenny at ORW on Auto Parkway. He's now the manager but he used to be their gear installer. They're good about handling any issues that come up. Kenny installed some gears for me about 14-15 years ago that developed a problem within a couple weeks. He apologized profusely for the problem and took care of everything including new gears in the rear without issue. A bad install can sometimes happen to the best of installers so make sure you don't try to go cheap with an unproven installer.

Also, no matter who does the installation, make sure to ONLY use conventional gear lube like an 85W-120 during the break-in. Don't use a synthetic during the break-in, the gears will get hotter if you do. I continue to use only conventional gear lubes after all my installations.

What size tires and what transmission are those 4.88 gears for?

Last edited:
I'd talk with Martin at Mobile Gears at 959-306-2805. He has a mobile truck that either comes to you or he may have you come up to Corona where he rents a shop on the weekend. He does a couple regears a day, he's one of the true few experts due to how many he has done over the years. He did some work for me a couple months ago.

View attachment 43185

Or John Lemieux at All 4Wheel Drive in Corona. He's a little more costly than Martin because he has a shop he has to pay rent on. Those two are the best around.

Or if you absolutely want someone in Escondido where I have lived for almost 30 years, go talk to Kenny at ORW on Auto Parkway. He's now the manager but he used to be their gear installer. They're good about handling any issues that come up. Kenny installed some gears for me about 14-15 years ago that developed a problem within a couple weeks. He apologized profusely for the problem and took care of everything including new gears in the rear without issue. A bad install can sometimes happen to the best of installers so make sure you don't try to go cheap with an unproven installer.

Also, no matter who does the installation, make sure to ONLY use conventional gear lube like an 85W-120 during the break-in. Don't use a synthetic during the break-in, the gears will get hotter if you do. I continue to use only conventional gear lubes after all my installations.

What size tires and what transmission are those 4.88 gears for?

Hello Jerry,

I have a 6 speed manual transmission running 35’s. Thanks for the tip on the gear lube and your reply!

Thanks again Jerry, I will give Martin a call. I have used ORW in the past with varying levels of success.

Another quick question for you. I think I read in another post about a group in NC SD that wheel together. Do you have any more info regarding planned trips or meetings?

Thanks again Jerry, I will give Martin a call. I have used ORW in the past with varying levels of success.

Another quick question for you. I think I read in another post about a group in NC SD that wheel together. Do you have any more info regarding planned trips or meetings?
The only NC group I'm aware of is Geared 4Fun, it's a fairly small club. I used to be a member but dropped out last year. I'll PM you a contact name and phone number.

New to re-gearing, not to Jeeps (YJ > XJ > TJ > TJU > JKUR > CJ-7 > TJUR) I purchased a 2005 TJUR (automatic) not too long ago. I do not think the stock 4.10 ration has been changed but the previous owner both lifted and equipped it with 33s. My question is this:

How do you decide between 4.56 - 4.88 - 5.13 ratio?

I live in the city, this is my daily drive but gets plenty of trail time (sometimes long distance to northern trails). One shop recommended 4.56, another said 4.88 for the 33s, 5.13 for 35's if I wanted down the line.

It’s a Jeep. I like to wheel. But I am a practical man, and need some street/highway performance. Looking for some advice and knowledge.

Last edited:
New to re-gearing, not to Jeeps (YJ > XJ > TJ > TJU > JKUR > CJ-7 > TJUR) I purchased a 2005 TJUR (automatic) not too long ago. I do not think the stock 4.10 ration has been changed but the previous owner both lifted and equipped it with 33s. My question is this:

How do you decide between 4.56 - 4.88 - 5.13 ratio?

I live in the city, this is my daily drive but gets plenty of trail time (sometimes long distance to northern trails). One shop recommended 4.56, another said 4.88 for the 33s, 5.13 for 35's if I wanted down the line.

It’s a Jeep. I like to wheel. But I am a practical man, and need some street/highway performance. Looking for some advice and knowledge.

The most recommended ratio for the 42RLE automatic (and it's .69 overdrive gear) with 33" tires is 5.13. 35" tires call for 5.38 but only Rubicon models with Dana 44 axles can fit them. If you are going to go down the 35" tire path, I'd go with the 5.38 ratio.