Shop Presses

derekmac

TJ Addict
I need to replace my rear axle bearings/seals, and instead of paying someone else to do them, I figured I'd just buy myself a shop press.

I'm looking at this 12 ton one as I don't want to spend too much, since it won't be a tool that's used all that often. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/12-ton-shop-press/A-p8604639e

It looks somewhat similar to this HF one: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

I know there probably won't be anyone here with the Princess Auto version, but I figured there'd be someone with the HF one. Just wondering what your thoughts are, and if 12 ton should be enough for most of what would need done on a TJ?

I have that HF model. Used it for my gear swap and it worked fine. The only issue I could see if doing axle bearings is axle length. The press is short in person. If you have to means to cut off the axle bearing like a cut off disk, it is a non issue.

Reactions: derekmac
My neighbor has the HF press but it's the 20-ton version. I've used it quite a bit with no problems and he rebuilds ZTR mowers and lawn tractors and uses it all the time with no complaints.

I have the HF 20 ton it is adequate for most things; 'though as mentioned it is short, at least for me. I have had less than good experience with harbor freight hydraulic jack longevity/seals but jacks are fairly easy to come by.
A couple of chunks of 8 or 10 inch channel under the legs will raise the press to a fairly good level though the front to back space in the frame does limit its usefulness occasionally...I expect I will make a custom frame with structural steel, eventually.

Enjoy!

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
I picked up the press today, and it is pretty damn short! I threw together a base with wheels from some scrap I had which raised it up 7", but with me being 6'4", it could definitely be higher, lol.

MVIMG_20180120_182016.jpg
MVIMG_20180120_182006.jpg

Derekmac. If those black press plates are harbor freight cast pieces, please protect yourself when using them.
The first time we used them with a buddies 20ton model we broke one due to porosity in the casting. Scared the crap out of us but at least we had no shrapnel flying about.
He found some 1” steel plate at a scrap dealer and paid to have the necessary cut outs done with a water jet.
YRMV.

If your doing the axle bearings there is really no need for a press, I did my axle bearings and seals on the D-35 last weekend and they drove in easily with a large socket. No more than a minute or two to drive and seat the bearings.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Derekmac. If those black press plates are harbor freight cast pieces, please protect yourself when using them.
The first time we used them with a buddies 20ton model we broke one due to porosity in the casting. Scared the crap out of us but at least we had no shrapnel flying about.
He found some 1” steel plate at a scrap dealer and paid to have the necessary cut outs done with a water jet.
YRMV.
I did ask the question before buying it, and was told they were steel. Is it easy to tell looking at them what they are?

I made my own 20 ton shop press years ago and it's still going strong. To save space I made it wide enough to accept a standard 27" wide roller cabinet underneath. The drawers are full of press and drill tools for the adjacent drill press.

picture.jpg

If your doing the axle bearings there is really no need for a press, I did my axle bearings and seals on the D-35 last weekend and they drove in easily with a large socket. No more than a minute or two to drive and seat the bearings.

Keep in mind that a Dana 44 has the bearings pressed onto the shaft, so you won't be able to seat anything but the axle housing race with a driver set or large socket.

Old thread but relavant.

So I purchased a 20 ton press from harbor freight to press on my rear axle bearing. I'm guess I'm about 1/8-1/4" off from where it needs to be but I can't get it to move. I don't know if I pressed it on and it's in a bind or if the bottle jack sucks. I used the grease from the bearing to lube the axle shaft.

When I make contact I'll pump maybe 5-6 more times hard and then it will start "slipping" I'll pump again but I can hear some strange sounds like it's pushing the fluid through a tight hole.

I wouldn't think a 20 ton press would have this hard of a time.