Shop said engine is locked up

glampingthrulife

i finally get a jeep and already having issues. My 1997 jeep wrangler Tj SE 2.5 was over heating and my husband an i started with the one fix that was the easiest and cheapest.. We replaced the thermostat ( i replaced it with his help, i want to learn on my own how to fix issues with the jeep ) We took it for a test drive around the block... it started over heating again. We got it back home and it sat for a few days.
i decided to just take it to the shop and i went to start it and it wouldn't start.

We finally got it started but it died on the way to the shop, we had it towed to the shop and he said the engine is locked up. i read that no oil can cause that but i had checked the oil when it wouldn't crank over before we started to the shop

I just dont want to be screwed over by someone, because it got hot would that cause an engine to lock up?

thanks , someday i will get to ride with the top off again and if we did need a new engine is it worth upgrading the 4.0 has no power at all :(

What did the oil look like when you checked it? Was it milky or did it look normal? There is a possibility of it being seized depends on how hot it got or if there is coolant in the oil.

What did the oil look like when you checked it? Was it milky or did it look normal? There is a possibility of it being seized depends on how hot it got or if there is coolant in the oil.
The oil looked good. It got very hot.. i took the cap off the block? It wasn't milky looking. Didn't look like it had mixed oil and coolant but that was before we headed to take it to the shop.

Was there any change in the coolant level? A really messed up head gasket could potentially cause a hydrolock, though this is unlikely.

If it has overheated severely, it could have significant engine damage. The most common result of an overheat is a blown gasket, but this typically appears as bad compression, loss of oil or coolant, or mixing of oil and coolant.

If the engine is truly locked up, the best course of action may be a remanufactured engine.

Did the engine turn over when it would stop after overheating?

Was there any change in the coolant level? A really messed up head gasket could potentially cause a hydrolock, though this is unlikely.

If it has overheated severely, it could have significant engine damage. The most common result of an overheat is a blown gasket, but this typically appears as bad compression, loss of oil or coolant, or mixing of oil and coolant.

If the engine is truly locked up, the best course of action may be a remanufactured engine.
I was thinking before this happened to upgrade the engine..maybe its a sign 🤔

As to upgrading to a 4.0 or better, if I had the cash, I would definitely upgrade the engine if I had to replace it.

A full 4.0 swap isn't terribly difficult, though it will require some fabrication, particularly welding of new engine mounts. If you can find a wrecked donor vehicle, that makes it much easier.

Though for a comparable amount of effort and a bit more cash, you could go straight to a V8 engine. I would do this versus a 4.0.

Ask the shop how they determined it's locked up and if they have a clue why before you call that motor dead.

That being said, putting anything other than another 4 popper back in it is going to require modifications to the frame (not as bad as it sounds) and if you are going to that kind of trouble, there are much better and maybe even cheaper options than a 4.0 based motor (including a stroker). Magnum v8 comes to mind. If you want a project, upgrade. If not, find a remanned motor or something used and replace it with stock.

Reactions: Steel City 06
4.0 engine does not just lock up from overheating.

My daughter in the past ran one of my TJ in the highway with no coolant (busted radiator) and the temp gage needle up on the red zone for 15 minutes and that's about 18 miles she said.

Pulled in our driveway with a smoking engine.

Engines can definitely lock up from overheating, in a number of ways. Besides the overheating causing a blown head gasket, buggering the oil, and causing bearing damage, the cylinders can also get warped and pinch the cylinders, although that would be pretty extreme.

This is a 2.5 engine. Not a 4.0. Though an ex-girlfriend was able to seize a 4.0 in a Cherokee. Took 5 or 6 tries in a row to do it.
Engine would overheat to lock-up. Let it cool, don't bother to wonder why, and restart and drive till it seizes again! Over and over for 15 miles with minimal coolant. Brilliant that girl. Just brilliant. And she knew she was to add some coolant each week due to a freeze plug leaking.

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch
Yea, if you're gonna replace the engine, replace with a 2.5... Upgrade, 4.0 is useless upgrade, might as well so an ls swap for the money. If you need a 2.5, i may have a fairly low miles one here in va for you, I'll have to check with my friend and see if he still has his.

Engine would overheat to lock-up. Let it cool, don't bother to wonder why, and restart and drive till it seizes again! Over and over for 15 miles with minimal coolant.

Was 18 miles on my TJ w/o a coolant. Lucky it survived. It was a busted hose (not a radiator). That rig (one in the right) now have 327,000 miles and still with the OEM 4.0 engine. Now my friend, that is a "bullet proof" dino engine.

Reactions: Squatch
Sometimes you can find cheap 2.5 motors they aren’t hard to install if you have some help. What was their diagnosis that it was bad. Look at car-parts.com for motors in your area, in the past I could do a tj swap in about 6 hours if it all went well

Lol in my opinion. It's a ton of work for something you can go and do the same amount of work to do another swap for. Helped a buddy do a 4.0 swap in a yj and it was a pita. Needed all the parts from the 4.0 parts jeep.. At that point, why not get a running but wrecked ls truck?

But, y'all are looking at it from the brand new parts list, not make your own. Lol I'm looking at the get new mounts and a few other parts and use what i can from the parts truck lol