Shop work gloves

I usually start with nothing and realize too late that I should have worn something. I have a variety of gloves to suit the occasion. About the only time I pull out the gloves first is when I apply POR15.

I've bare-knuckled to my detriment before since I like to be able to feel what I'm dealing with, but when I change my oil or deal with liquids, some disposable latex mechanics gloves are handy.

I need to get a good, reliable pair of all-around work gloves though. The last pair of leather work gloves I picked up from Home Depot wore through one of the fingers within just a few months.

I've seen a few people mention Hardy's from HF: Does anyone have any feedback on if they're decent in terms of durability?

Anything involving oil I put on nitriles. Nothing fancy, use whatever is at HF or Home Depot. Metal work like grinding/cutting/drilling I use a pair of leather gloves. Again, nothing fancy. Any electrical or interior work I tend to barehand.

Reactions: Hotrodbud
I start with gloves and end up with dirty hands. The latex gloves I had rip soon when my hands starts to get sweaty. The other pair of gloves I have are to thick can’t even feel the bolt. I do need to find a good pair of gloves though. My gf hates my dirty hands.

Dirty hands , Clean money.

Like many have said, I typically don't think about gloves until later. The gloves I use are the Mechanix Fast Fit. They aren't overly bulky, no straps to snag on everything, and no knuckle guards to snag on things. The best part is the "fast fit". Never have liked gloves with straps. I've got an older pair that I've cut a few fingers out of that I rarely break out if the project calls for it.

https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/fastfit-work-gloves
xngm0php7wr1urpn7ali.jpg

I wear nitrile gloves from HF. And brown jersey gloves from HF as well. Jersey if it involves anything sharp. Or if I am working on a firearm. Leather gloves if it's cutting sheet metal. HF is the best for disposable gloves like this. I buy all my disposable items from HF.

Check out these gloves at 8:20

We have cut resistant(cut proof?) gloves at work similar to those in the video and they are bulky and uncomfortable. They're only good if you're working with very sharp things like knives and sheet metal, even then most prefer leather.

Mostly I forget to use gloves when working on cars till after I'm all oily and greasy but I'll try to use nitrile for chemical exposure and HiFlex for most other applications. The HiFlex are my favorite all around glove.

If I'm working with grease or fluids I'll use a 9mm nitrile glove. After years of busted knuckles I use the light wieght mechanix. I was super impressed, light weight, good dexterity and they held up quite well.

Wearing gloves while wrenching is like wearing a rubber while screwing but in both cases offer a degree of protection. Actually, I use the right gloves for the job. Bull work, heavy wrenching, cutting, grinding = leather or Mechanix type gloves. Fluid work = 5mm nitrile. Normal wrenching with dirt and oil deposits = 9mm heavy nitrile. Fine precision feel or work, electrical = bareback. Nothing beats the tactile feel of naked skin.

Last edited:
I'm a regular user of cheap latex gloves from Harbor Freight, I usually have several boxes of them on my work bench. HFT's slightly more expensive blue latex gloves are a little thicker so you can't feel things as readily and they seem to tear far more readily than the standard clear latex gloves.

I'm a regular user of cheap latex gloves from Harbor Freight, I usually have several boxes of them on my work bench. HFT's slightly more expensive blue latex gloves are a little thicker so you can't feel things as readily and they seem to tear far more readily than the standard clear latex gloves.

The price is right on the Harbor Freight gloves too.

569E4212-11E3-4F71-BDB0-A99DFC1964D5.jpeg

I picked these up a few weeks back, mostly to keep my hands a little warm working on the Jeep here in Michigan. They’ve been working great so far, although I do have to remove them when working in tiny spaces.

I have used many nitrile gloves over the years and have found that all nitrile gloves aren't created equal. In my opinion the cheap harbor freight blue gloves are thin and can rip just putting them on. (yes even with proper size)

My vote is for the "SAS Raven". The extra strength professional grade gloves that are black textured nitrile. The gloves are tough and I use them for automotive, fishing, game processing and more. They come in XXL and is what my hands like.
The glove are the best deal if you buy a 10 pack box of 1000 gloves and it works out to around $8 per box. Sure you could buy cheaper gloves and save a buck or two per box but the box won't last a quarter of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCX9P6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

SAS Raven.jpg

Reactions: JMT