Should have just spent the money on a nicer pair of doors

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Working on my half doors tonight and noticed somebody removed and lost the backing plate for one of the hinges.

PXL_20220623_014128316.jpg

Now I get to add another part to my junkyard list, probably have to ruin a door to get it out.

If the backing plate is the same on the full doors I can pull one out of my jacked up door

No idea whether they're the same but I'm happy to be the guinea pig. I don't know why they wouldn't be, since the hinges are the same, but they didn't always do what made sense to me. I can't find them in the parts diagrams which implies to me that Mopar considered them part of the door shell.

Well if you are not in a huge hurry for it I can probably get it to you in a few weeks. I’m leaving on a trip Friday morning and won’t have time to do it tomorrow

Reactions: Alex01 and JMT
Well if you are not in a huge hurry for it I can probably get it to you in a few weeks. I’m leaving on a trip Friday morning and won’t have time to do it tomorrow

I appreciate the offer so I won't complain about timeline. I'll probably go ahead and look locally in the meantime, so just let me know when you're ready and I'll let you know if I've found one or if I've otherwise found that the full door plate won't work on half doors. Thanks!

Would it be possible to fabricate one from steel and tack weld a couple nuts on the backing plate ?

thought some more about this...I actually have a couple of extra hinges I ended up with buying multiple sets to piece together four of the right good ones. The holes already line up, so I could use another hinge as a jig while I weld some nuts onto it, and cut it down to the size and shape of the backer plate. Might need longer bolts.

thought some more about this...I actually have a couple of extra hinges I ended up with buying multiple sets to piece together four of the right good ones. The holes already line up, so I could use another hinge as a jig while I weld some nuts onto it, and cut it down to the size and shape of the backer plate. Might need longer bolts.

Thats what I’d do. At least try it.

Isn't it just a flat plate with two threaded holes in it? Why not just drill & tap a flat piece?

Might work. Just wanna make sure I get enough thread engagement. I haven't looked closely at the other plates but I assume there's some extrusion beyond the thickness of the plate.

i might want a chunk of 1/4" if i was just relying on drill n tap. or weld nuts to the back of 3/16" or thinner material,
you could still tap the thinner material, put your fastener into it, spin a nut up tight then tack it on, then your threaded tip to taint.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Isn't it just a flat plate with two threaded holes in it? Why not just drill & tap a flat piece?

i might want a chunk of 1/4" if i was just relying on drill n tap. or weld nuts to the back of 3/16" or thinner material,
you could still tap the thinner material, put your fastener into it, spin a nut up tight then tack it on, then your threaded tip to taint.

This is the other backer in that door. It indeed has some extra beef at the holes to provide more threads.

PXL_20220624_000315594.jpg

This also means they're directional and need to come from a driver door to work.

So I think my best bet, if I go down the fabrication path, is still to weld some nuts into a hinge and cut it into the shape. If I could find some conical nuts to fit into the countersink in the hinge, then I could probably get the threads low enough to use the standard length hinge bolts.

How about a thin plate with nutserts?

That would work too.

Of course I can't think of a way to avoid cutting out the plate which would be the least enjoyable part of whichever way I decide to do this.

Just discovered the interior door handles are both broken, in different ways. Fortunately those replacements are at least readily available.

i thought that too but the heads would have to fit into the body holes or the whole piece would only contact at those 3 points. it may not hold like a flat plate clamp if it sat on the rims.

I don't think that would be a problem. Many times nutserts are used, they are larger than the hole in the mating part.

I don't think that would be a problem. Many times nutserts are used, they are larger than the hole in the mating part.

most are just hangers and not load bearing. if the clamps not got enough surface grip leaning on the door could make it slip, no?

IDK i'm just tossin ideas..........for all i know those could be some sort of insert in there now.

actually it looks like a smaller punch with a big base die allowing some push down and coning b4 it breaks the bottom out.........i might could do that at work.

Last edited: