Should I add a body lift or a suspension lift?

27 posts and this is the question you came up with?

you questioned how to build for 35" wheels. this is the high end of the lift spectrum on a TJ and requires the most parts to complete correctly. and is often the most expensive route because shortcuts that work at lower lift heights become useless.

to use your jeep off road it's advised you provide an additional 5" of space to allow the suspension to fully articulate with the large 35" wheels.
the object, is to not hinder the travel minimum it came with (4up/4down). and in many cases extend it.

Rather than try to figure out how to do this wrong, focus on how to make the money to do this correctly. A 19 year with a strong back and a desire to work will have no issue amassing the required funds to upgrade a Jeep.

I recently purchased the Jeep you are going to sell after stuff 35s under a budget lift and are upset about how it rides poorly.

I am running 35s, on stock gearing, on a budget RC 3.5" lift. Can I go to the store and drive around well-paved streets with no ill effects, technically — yes. But it isn't fun, the ride is poor, the shifter hits the console, I have to avoid potholes like I was driving a bike, etc. So if you want 35s for the look (I get it, I do too) and are willing to compromise the ride, then sure.

My question is how often do you drive your Jeep? If you are in the 1,000 miles per year and less club who drive it only on sunny days when the temperature is between 75 and 85, then you'll be fine. If you are daily driving it, I'd invest in the support structure because otherwise, you'll hate your Jeep and be willing to take a loss when you toss it on Craigslist and I come buy it.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I don't understand what/who you're trying to make a joke about...?
Math and you're inability to use it. Broke, young, with a hobby you can't afford overlooking willfully or otherwise basic math.
You want 35's, how much are those?
You want a lift, how much are those?
You will need to learn how to fiddle fuck with driveline angles or get adjustable control arms and SYE, one is a bunch of time, the other is a bunch of money and some time, do you have them?
You asked about a body lift for a 100 bucks or a lift for a grand and fully ignored all the rest of the costs.
Do you even math?

Were I in your shoes, I'd start a hand me down build thread and get very creative about take off parts from others and see where you can go with it. If you are mechanical, I'll start off the donation pile with an old school Currie SYE for the cost of shipping.

Math and you're inability to use it. Broke, young, with a hobby you can't afford overlooking willfully or otherwise basic math.
You want 35's, how much are those?
You want a lift, how much are those?
You will need to learn how to fiddle fuck with driveline angles or get adjustable control arms and SYE, one is a bunch of time, the other is a bunch of money and some time, do you have them?
You asked about a body lift for a 100 bucks or a lift for a grand and fully ignored all the rest of the costs.
Do you even math?

Were I in your shoes, I'd start a hand me down build thread and get very creative about take off parts from others and see where you can go with it. If you are mechanical, I'll start off the donation pile with an old school Currie SYE for the cost of shipping.
This post is so true. People think about a lift, and they only factor in the cost of the lift. There is so much else that goes along with it. That is all everyone is trying to say.

Even though it might not seem like it, we are trying to help. We've all been there and learned the hard way. 19 years old, you just need to set your priorities. If you want to run 35's that's great. You totally should! But please do it right. Save your money for 6 months, don't spend extra money you don't need to, and do it right. You'll have the Jeep that looks great and performs better. Your buddies will hop in and wonder why theirs doesn't ride so good, or work so well. Your girl (or a girl) will much prefer a nice riding Jeep to one that doesn't.

@mrblaine's offer is a good one, so is his idea. See what's out there, sitting around people don't need anymore. I don't have the stockpile of parts like some do, but I've got some stuff, and it needs to go. I'd rather it go to someone who can use it, vs throwing it away.

When I got my TJ two years ago it had many mechanical ills created by the previous owner's modifications. Top of the shit list was a lift executed without regard to geometry, mechanics and math. I knew I had my work cut out for me, wrenching for me is as big a pleasure as driving the sled. I lowered the body lift, installed a transfer case cable shifter, slip yoke eliminator, new rear drive shaft, front and rear adjustable track bar, upper and lower rear adjustable control arms, new shocks, totally rebuilt front and rear axles with new gears and axles to best accommodate larger tires and much much more. Replaced all four rotors, calipers and pads to make sure bigger tires had better stopping power, replaced the entire steering (ZJ conversion) sector (not the box) to ensure good steering. These items were the tip of the iceberg on what I replaced and or adjusted. I can now drive at highway speeds (60-80 mph) with no shake rattle and roll. One hand on the wheel and a grin on my face inspired by the confidence that I dotted the I's and crossed the T's. Get some money, buy the correct parts when you can, and when you have all the required bits, do a proper installation. Just raising the Jeep without regard to math and safety is like putting a sock in your pants and pretending you have a 12" crank.

qm9q9.jpg