Should I add hydro-assist?

I can't prove it but since Crown Automotive is also selling a new steering gear, I'd suspect they are coming out of the same place and the report I saw on the CA version isn't that great.
Me thinks this too. Or the steering guys (PSC, west Texas) would be using them. If they were any good it would be beneficial vs dealing with cores one would think. I dont know those answers For sure. I would think they experts are aware of them and have decided not to use them.

Me thinks this too. Or the steering guys (PSC, west Texas) would be using them. If they were any good it would be beneficial vs dealing with cores one would think. I dont know those answers For sure. I would think they experts are aware of them and have decided not to use them.
I don't know one way or the other if the owner of PSC knows of them. I do know he works on parts acquisition at a much higher level than anyone would ever think.

Reactions: Gollywomper
@mrblaine do you have any pictures of this bore that gets worn out and the surrounding areas?

If someone could find a way to fix these, any idea how much that service might be worth?

@mrblaine do you have any pictures of this bore that gets worn out and the surrounding areas?

If someone could find a way to fix these, any idea how much that service might be worth?
Who knows. I assume it has been looked into. PSC costs $450 to reman your steering box and add assist ports. If you add in any machining to that how close would you be to the $800 price for a new large bore box?
Maybe it can be done cost effectively.

Reactions: WSS
Reactions: pc1p
PSC charges $450 to reman your box???

Damn, makes me glad I ordered this instead: https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehi...ep-temp/95-02-jeep-yj-xj-tj-zj/psc-sk247.html
Yup. Emailed them this morning. West Texas charges about the same. So seems to be the going rate for a quality rebuild. Makes you wonder about the $150 remans. They are thrown together with a hodgepodge of used parts that are within “spec”. Lol. My NAPA reman will be getting its second adjustment in less than 3k miles.

Last edited:
Yup. Emailed them this morning. West Texas charges about the same. So seems to be the going rate for a quality rebuild. Makes you wonder about the $150 remans. They are thrown together with a hodgepodge of used parts that are within “spec”. Lol. My NAPA reman will be getting its second adjustment in less than 3k miles.
Crazy - I had heard that you can get the PSC remaned box, rebuilt and tapped for assist, but without the ram or hoses, for ~$400.

I bought the same kit a while back. Have not installed the assist part yet but did install the box. I have put about 200 miles off road so far and no problems. The box is tighter than the OE box that had 102k. I replaced the old box due to leaks. The new box does feel like it has more power too.
Mine is working well too thankfully! I replaced my old box for the same reason (and wanted to tap it for assist) and didn't think it was worth the $400-450 for a local rebuild (with tap and caps) when the PSC stuff is generally well-regarded. Something to keep an eye out for me (though I don't expect many issues since I'm running the assist ram).

Reactions: WSS
That budget kit is a good price. Did you have to drill out the stock pump to help with the extra flow for the ram?

That budget kit is a good price. Did you have to drill out the stock pump to help with the extra flow for the ram?
I actually bought the PSC pump knowing that I’d likely be able to keep it for my Hemi swap

PSC charges $450 to reman your box???

Damn, makes me glad I ordered this instead: https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehi...ep-temp/95-02-jeep-yj-xj-tj-zj/psc-sk247.html

I might be a little confused but is the PSC SK247 recommended or does @mrblaine have a better solution? I'm on stock Dana 30/Dana 44 axles with US-made Revolution axle shafts, 35" tires and Currectlync but I've done the Rubicon Trail a couple of times without any apparent steering problems, although I also don't know any better and I'm a 6'5" gorilla, so I can't say I've ever had huge difficulty turning the steering wheel. I don't think $3K for full hydraulic is in the budget (especially if I'm not having any major problems with stock steering) but the $575 SK247 kit is doable (or something similar from BMB if that's better).

I might be a little confused but is the PSC SK247 recommended or does @mrblaine have a better solution? I'm on stock Dana 30/Dana 44 axles with US-made Revolution axle shafts, 35" tires and Currectlync but I've done the Rubicon Trail a couple of times without any apparent steering problems, although I also don't know any better and I'm a 6'5" gorilla, so I can't say I've ever had huge difficulty turning the steering wheel. I don't think $3K for full hydraulic is in the budget (especially if I'm not having any major problems with stock steering) but the $575 SK247 kit is doable (or something similar from BMB if that's better).
I’m a slightly smaller gorilla (6’3” and a played D-1 football as a D-lineman), but definitely ran into a few spots where the steering would not budge with the locker on. I had the same issue on my YJ in similar situations, though I never upgraded the YJ.

I could have certainly torqued on the wheel, but at significant stress to the steering shaft, box, frame and interconnected parts. For me, the cost of the assist kit was reasonable for what I got and what I needed it to do. I’m not sure what Blaine recommends for most applications, but I did get some guidance from another well-known builder and the performance is exactly as what was described. My steering is “two-finger turning” with the locker engaged and against rock ledges, but it feels stock when driving down the highway.

Reactions: Alex01
View attachment 228845

Here's what Blaine is talking about - I trimmed mine up per his instructions with an angle grinder and hand file. It was quite easy...

I'm bringing this thread up again after doing some searching. Seems like PSC steering has been the topic of discussion lately. With cutting the heims and the steering ram for a TJ based/currie steering application, is the cylinder salvageable for future axle swaps?..