Should I add hydro-assist?

Gollywomper

Professional pot stirrer
Supporting Member
I have been slowly building/upgrading my steering to accommodate hydro assist. With BMB bolt in kit it is pretty much a no brained at this point.
I run 35’s with a locker so I am right on the edge of requiring one. Could I get by without? Probably. Would adding it make steering aired down tires easier? Yes.
Is it worth adding to save wear and tear on my steering box mount and track bar mounts? Any other pros or cons you can think of?

Yup. It’s never been easier. For a very reasonable price some one has already done all the engineering for us.

I have been slowly building/upgrading my steering to accommodate hydro assist. With BMB bolt in kit it is pretty much a no brained at this point.
I run 35’s with a locker so I am right on the edge of requiring one. Could I get by without? Probably. Would adding it make steering aired down tires easier? Yes.
Is it worth adding to save wear and tear on my steering box mount and track bar mounts? Any other pros or cons you can think of?
When you get to where you need it, you won't be asking if you need it, you'll be asking what you can do to make it turn. Lot of money to spend for a maybe I do, maybe I don't question.

Hydro assist is a game changer in the rocks and as an extra bonus it really makes the jeep better on the road. I was worried I would lose my return to center but it truly drives 10x better.

Can you get by without it with 35s aired down to 8psi? Yes, will it give you more control and enable you to turn the wheels when in a tough spot? Yes. The only downside I can think of is more moving parts (potential for breaking, carry the hydro line plugs), and cost.

Yes I’m already there. Heck I have moments snow wheeling where I can’t turn lol. Already know what I need. Just bored and making conversation I guess......

I don't rock crawl, but I have one anyways. It seems to make the car easier to control on very bumpy roads, especially when I hit a patch of large potholes at 55+. It's almost like a steering damper, except much tighter.

On the freeway I have no issues with steering. On flat highways I could take my hands off the wheel at 80 and it will hold the lane for a couple miles. (Though I only have 35s.)

Reactions: L J and Alex01
You and I have vastly different definitions of reasonable.
Lol. I think for what we can buy as a bolt in kit it is one heck of a deal.
yes if you consider everything that must be installed to work it gets expensive.
What is the going rate to do a custom weld in cylinder? For those who can’t weld this may be the best option.

I don't rock crawl, but I have one anyways. It seems to make the car easier to control on very bumpy roads, especially when I hit a patch of large potholes at 55+. It's almost like a steering damper, except much tighter.

On the freeway I have no issues with steering. On flat highways I could take my hands off the wheel at 80 and it will hold the lane for a couple miles. (Though I only have 35s.)
I think that is where this kit may be best suited. As above 35” tires one would may be running different axels/custom steering and suspension. Blaine could answer that better.

I think that is where this kit may be best suited. As above 35” tires one would may be running different axels/custom steering and suspension. Blaine could answer that better.
The problem with 37's is what steering are you going to run on the stock TJ knuckles? Where are you going to get the width needed for them to turn without rubbing on everything? Once you change those to work correctly with 37's the answer for the hydro is there as well.

Blaines kit is nice and very easy to install. Just a bit time consuming but not difficult. @Chris should be posting a instructions guide sometime in the near future.

Reactions: Chris
The problem with 37's is what steering are you going to run on the stock TJ knuckles? Where are you going to get the width needed for them to turn without rubbing on everything? Once you change those to work correctly with 37's the answer for the hydro is there as well.
That’s kind of where I was headed in my post. By the time you made all the changes to properly run 37 inch tires there would be opportunities for a better location for a cylinder.