Should I be using my transfer case?

064banger

TJ Enthusiast
Someone told me I’m supposed to periodically use my transfer case at least once a year, otherwise it could get damaged by not using it at all.

I’ve never heard this before, is it true? If so, why?

Its the 'use it or lose it' philosophy. There is some merit to it in the context of automobiles that sit idle for long periods.

I'm not sure how not shifting in and out of 4WD can cause actual damage in this particular instance, but it is good advice to use your jeep as intended so that moving parts remain able to move freely and you have confidence that everything is working as it should.

I am certainly no expert, but it would seem to me that it would be a good idea for any piece of equipment that has oil and moving parts to get those parts moving around on a regular basis and get the oil stirred up.

Someone told me I’m supposed to periodically use my transfer case at least once a year, otherwise it could get damaged by not using it at all.

I’ve never heard this before, is it true? If so, why?
Complete bullshit. Now as to not ever going off road in your jeep, it could break your jeeps heart and get your man card revoked, but it wont hurt your transfer case.

Reactions: Blondie70
I don't know about damaged. Just put it in 4hi and drive around the neighborhood every so often. Good enough.

If you want some headaches let something sit.

The more something is used the better it works up to the point that you start wearing it out.... That's a general statement.

A good example is a 2 stroke dirt bike will lose its crank seal if you don't run it.

A good spray lube on the linkage would go a long way for a lot of TJ owners if people would think to do that occasionally especially the type that has a little bit of potential to clean and lubricate.

No, it won't "freeze up" or "go bad" ...but using it some is beneficial, or cycling it...over the long haul.

As others said, technically no. But it is always a good idea to check it periodically to be sure everything works before you suddenly need it. Same with the A/C to keep the seals lubed. Check your lockers, rear wiper, the whole nine yards. I try to do this at least once a season. On engines that sit it really helps keep any internal corrosion from forming.
Find a dirt or gravel road and go a 1/2 mile in 4h and 4l. You might remember why you bought a TJ in the first place! A Jeep is happiest when there is no cell reception, so get out there and keep your ride happy.👍

I don’t think there is a single component inside the transfer case that doesn’t move every time the jeep moves.
The only part that can seize from non-use is the external transfer case shift linkage.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck