Should I be worried about heat from the winch drum after replacing line with synthetic?

Moglocker

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’m replacing my winch cable on my warn 10 evo, I bought 85 feet of rope and a couple soft shackles from a company t.r.e. It has a sheath on it is this to protect the first layers from the heat of the drum?

Unless you do a significant amount of winching out under load drum heat is not that big of an issue.

I'm not aware of it ever having been a real issue because no one powers out their line beyond a short length. That is what freespool is for

The sheath is supposed to be a rock guard. It doesn't work and it is more trouble than it is worth. Get rid of it.

It you buy an actual WARN rope...it DOES come with a heat shield for that first wrap around the drum, as well as the snag shield. Didn't know that till I decided to drop the coin on one finally. Reason being....

I've gone thru 2 ropes (non-warn) in 5 yrs due to getting myself into spots a crane usually has to pull people up out of (yeah I'm stupid sometimes) and my TJ stays garaged, so it wasn't sun damaged. Just a WHOLE lotta use (freespool out)

Both times I replaced was because 20-30ft from the end it started to unravel because I was wedged SO tight that it was more than the rope could handle. Not because of the heat of the drum. Unless you're dumb like me, I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited:
Osmosis ?
Not had your bran muffin yet?
🇨🇦 ;)
1618409981519.png

• Haha
Reactions: WSS