Should I build my LJ Rubicon or not?

gaabbee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey everyone! First off want to thank you all for wealth of information you have already provided for me! I used to own a CJ7 with a sbc and nv4500 and sold it a couple of years ago. I picked up a 2006 LJ rubicon 6 speed a couple weeks ago with 98k miles. Long story short the guy did not know what he had and I got a great deal on it. It sat for about 3 years so I have been fighting some of the lack of maintenance items. The frame has some surface rust but it was a Florida truck and a rust spot on the fender from sitting. Everything else is solid.

Within the first week of owning it the radiator cracked at the top and I had an episode of death wobble. So far I have replaced the radiator with an oem mopar unit, a new crown opda, and a new track bar from moog. This week I will be doing the ZJ steering upgrade and new fluids all around.

My main use for this jeep will be a weekend vehicle with occasional beech and camping trips. I'm kinda stuck between keeping it stock (only 172 in this color) and putting a lift with 33s. I do know that if I do change anything I want it to be reversible and light weight.

Here are my "wants"
hard top
Trailer hitch
Por15 frame and underside
on board air/co2 tank system
black magic brakes

The next is what I'm debating. I don't have a need for 35s but do like the look especially on the LJs. I see rancho has a 2.5 inch lift kit that says it fits 33s but i don't hear or see much about it. I would opt for the 5000x shocks stock or lifted.

So what are your thoughts?
-WXszDdhrxlFZvjQZSrqoANhCYijbfezP7KA=w1292-h970-no.jpg

I’d do the Rancho and jks 1.25” BL to clear the way for 35s. Your going to want them on an LJ. Then you’ll need the regear, and upgrade the brakes. There’s a ton more that some will tell you needs to be done. 35s require serious coin to do it right on an LJ....space it out and do it right. That will be a damn fine LJR with 35s and adequate lift.

35s do look good but I would keep it stock for awhile, live with it and build as you need to.

It’s a lot of time and money to do 35s properly and from the sound of it, you don’t really need it.

Your wants make sense for what you are doing though, I’d get a bumper with a hitch built in so you don’t lose as much descent angle (I’ve slammed my bumper a lot of times on the LJ)

35s do look good but I would keep it stock for awhile, live with it and build as you need to.

It’s a lot of time and money to do 35s properly and from the sound of it, you don’t really need it.

Your wants make sense for what you are doing though, I’d get a bumper with a hitch built in so you don’t lose as much descent angle (I’ve slammed my bumper a lot of times on the LJ)
Easier said than done! Haha keep it stock...famous last words haha

You get to be a Level 3 forum member , with ALL the privileges , with 2” of lift or more.

Drink the Kool Aid.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01 and gaabbee
33's you can switch back to stock fairly easily. 35's almost guaranteed a re-gear and track bar f&r, control arms (adj.×4) f&r, brake upgrade f&r, speedo re-do, and the list can grow from there. If you want to be able to go back to OEM I'd try to stick to 32's or 33's. If you decide to go bigger you can without ha ing to chuck most of the parts.

As someone on the seemingly-neverending journey of working to get 35s under my TJ, I'd say go with 33s instead. For your purposes, there's no reason to spend the extra money on what you'd need for them (unless you have that much disposable income — in which case, let me buy you some beers and let's have a chat). :D

Reactions: gaabbee
Question. If you were buying a jeep that had undercoating like por15 would that concern you? I do have some surface rust and want to protect it but don't want to do something that may turn people off if/when I need to sell it. Is there any other options?