Should I buy a 1998 4 cylinder automatic?

Cesario1940

I was planning to look at a 1998 TJ for my daughter tomorrow but I thought it was a six cylinder. Just realizing it’s a four-cylinder automatic with a lift and 29 inch tires. It only has 64,000 miles on it and they want $8500. Interior has been Rhino sprayed and the frame is solid. Garaged in winter. I have to make a decision tonight as I’m supposed to go pick it up at 8am tomorrow. Someone else is right behind me at 10am if I don’t buy it. It’s a. Eautiful Jeep but should I hold out for a 6 cylinder. No off-roading. Just in town and minimal highway driving. Help!

035AF3BF-F794-4958-A30C-C17F3D8ACD2A.png

33405953-EFFC-40D9-90FE-C40B350ECC4A.png

A8901A20-BB3B-4CAE-B152-A35E024D55FE.png

FE189DEA-19B0-4182-AF36-DF991BB449D6.png

0D77ADD1-EFD7-42D4-8FA8-442332666E3C.png

Good looking TJ other than all the tubes added to it. Sounds perfect for a teenager. Especially the minimal highway driving part. A 4-cylinder automatic will be fine for the use you mention…

Good looking TJ other than all the tubes added to it. Sounds perfect for a teenager. Especially the minimal highway driving part. A 4-cylinder automatic will be fine for the use you
Good looking TJ other than all the tubes added to it. Sounds perfect for a teenager. Especially the minimal highway driving part. A 4-cylinder automatic will be fine for the use you mention…
Thank you!

Reactions: MichaelGH
Good looking Jeep.... Perfect for a teenager just starting out.
Even with the vehicle garaged in the winter; do a thorough inspection of the floor boards from underneath since the inside has been Rhino sprayed...
The tube beneath each door can be removed IF your daughter doesn't like the look....
I agree with Rubi004 statement in post #6 about not letting any guys show her how to go 4 wheeling.
IF she develops an interest; her father can show her.... (y)

In your area, rust is your primary concern. Just double check the rockers. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like they were painted or coated. Might be nothing, but it's worth taking a closer look at. As for the 4 cylinder, as long as you know what you're getting into, and it's rust free, there's nothing wrong with it for your Daughter. If however you think you'll end up with it, a 6 cylinder would be a better, but more expensive, choice.

You all are amazing! Woke up this morning confident in our purchase. However, they sold it out from under us before we arrived. This is the third time this has happened to my poor daughter. Anyone have any idea how to actually buy a jeep? This poor kid! She has saved up forever, she is an honor student, took five college classes as a 10th grader this past year instead of moping about Covid, is graduating a year early, works two jobs, and all she wants is a jeep for her hard earned money. Ugh! Why is this so difficult?

• Sad
Reactions: Rick Flair and Irun
You all are amazing! Woke up this morning confident in our purchase. However, they sold it out from under us before we arrived. This is the third time this has happened to my poor daughter. Anyone have any idea how to actually buy a jeep? This poor kid! She has saved up forever, she is an honor student, took five college classes as a 10th grader this past year instead of moping about Covid, is graduating a year early, works two jobs, and all she wants is a jeep for her hard earned money. Ugh! Why is this so difficult?
Good ones are hard to find. Getting one requires patience, keeping a watchful eye, responding quickly, and going with cash in hand. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes when you stop looking, they fall into your lap. FWIW, it's better to find the right Jeep, rather than just find a Jeep!

Good ones are hard to find. Getting one requires patience, keeping a watchful eye, responding quickly, and going with cash in hand. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes when you stop looking, they fall into your lap. FWIW, it's better to find the right Jeep, rather than just find a Jeep!
My son and I each have one, (06’ and 07’) but the market was no where near this crazy when we bought ours. Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe this fall/winter will be a better time to look.

Reactions: Irun
Exactly.... be patient while looking.
Definitely bring cash with you.... so you can negotiate...
When I was looking for a Jeep in CA; the good vehicles sold very quickly and some of the prices asked were ridiculous.
The Jeep I found was on Craigslist for less than 8 hours and another buyer was arriving within the hour....
This Jeep looked nasty (oxidized paint, ragged soft top, interior smelled, nasty carpets and different manufacturers tires), but was a diamond in the rough and determined it was sound mechanically after a 45 minute drive.

I convinced the guy that the vehicle needed a lot of work and purchased the Jeep for 6K.

My son and I each have one, (06’ and 07’) but the market was no where near this crazy when we bought ours. Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe this fall/winter will be a better time to look.
Keep the faith. This is probably the worst time of year to look. I've always found my best deals between December and March.

Everything said is true. Just be patient, in my opinion you are better off without this particular TJ. The passenger side rocker panel looked rotted through and covered up. There’s no telling what else the seller was trying to hide which is probably why they sold it quickly.

You didnt miss anything, OP. There was likely a hole under that black panel on the passenger side. No one wants that on their "new" jeep. Patience and quick action is needed when looking for good TJ. Plus, you'll have better resale value and mod options with a 6 cylinder, so think of it as a good miss. @Cesario1940

Last edited:
Keep looking, and keep reading here - there are tons and tons of "Should I buy this Jeep" posts over the years - so you can learn what to look out for easily.

Take cash when you go to look, otherwise you will miss out on 'the one' when you go home to think about it.