Should I buy a Cardone remanufactured power steering box or look at salvage parts?

pixologics

TJ Enthusiast
I am in need to take care of leaky power steering box. Cardone 27-7560 Remanufactured Power Steering Gear seems to be cheapest other than the used or part out from salvaged Jeep are being sold on eBay for $80.

Any recommendations?

Jeep wrangler 1998.

The general consensus is that Cardone is the worst-of-the-worst. Truly garbage replacement parts that will not last very long. You'd be a fool to buy anything from Cardone whatsoever. Have your factory box rebuilt or buy a Mopar replacement if you can find one.

IDK about the cardone but if anybody's givin up a steering gear for 80$ i'd be very suspect of it's condition.

show him your last ebay grab chris.

The general consensus is that Cardone is the worst-of-the-worst. Truly garbage replacement parts that will not last very long. You'd be a fool to buy anything from Cardone whatsoever. Have your factory box rebuilt or buy a Mopar replacement if you can find one.
I see what you mean. I saw a video where some just replaced the seals inside the power steering box and I didn't find it too hard. Not sure if that is what you meant rebuild.

Also if there could be any other issue after doing it.
What is your opinion on this?

IDK about the cardone but if anybody's givin up a steering gear for 80$ i'd be very suspect of it's condition.

show him your last ebay grab chris.
I am not sure but there seem to be many seller on ebay selling in this range and also I asked for be guy who is selling on our own forum and he quoted $75. Do you mean they also bad options?

for 80$ i see used savage, soaked in spilled oil and splines all dinged and nasty, ya to me those are a risk.

i would trust a seller from here b4 ebay. at least your liable to get a pic of the unit they'll really send ya.

I see what you mean. I saw a video where some just replaced the seals inside the power steering box and I didn't find it too hard. Not sure if that is what you meant rebuild.

Also if there could be any other issue after doing it.
What is your opinion on this?
Yep, this is what I meant. They can be rebuilt without having to buy a new one. This is what they are doing to all the the “re-manufactured” ones.

I bought a Cardone remanufactured unit off of Amazon. Leaked the moment it was installed. Thought it was residual fluid from the installation but it progressively got worse. Then it became a race to find a replacement and have it installed before the return window closed. I would save yourself the headache and rebuild yours or try to find something else. I ended up with a new Crown unit and it has been fine.

Reactions: pixologics
I bought a Cardone remanufactured unit off of Amazon. Leaked the moment it was installed. Thought it was residual fluid from the installation but it progressively got worse. Then it became a race to find a replacement and have it installed before the return window closed. I would save yourself the headache and rebuild yours or try to find something else. I ended up with a new Crown unit and it has been fine.
I hope you left a nasty review on Amazon on that Cardone steering box. As Chris said above, Cardone has earned the reputation of being the worst of the worst.

I hope you left a nasty review on Amazon on that Cardone steering box. As Chris said above, Cardone has earned the reputation of being the worst of the worst.
We are talking steering gears, not water pumps. Your comments are not useful to the O.P

I am on my third Cardone box. All have become terribly loose. I believe I will be ordering a Redhead box. Have heard many good things about them.

We are talking steering gears, not water pumps. Your comments are not useful to the O.P
Water pump or steering box, it sounded about right to me, and considering this:
I am on my third Cardone box. All have become terribly loose. I believe I will be ordering a Redhead box. Have heard many good things about them.
I wouldn't buy anything from cardone. Would you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq
Water pump or steering box, it sounded about right to me, and considering this:

I wouldn't buy anything from cardone. Would you?
Jerry had busted my balls about an unhelpful comment in another thread, so I was returning the favor to that all knowing, self serving egotistical prick. He will now be mad because he has been force fed his own medicine. Sorry for using this thread, but fair is fair!

I had a hyd cylinder seal start a pretty bad seep. Damn near a leak. Its F-ing cold out and needed to plow snow so I tried some Lucas power steering stop leak in the system. It took about 20 minutes of use, but my steering (orbital motor) suddenly became wonderful. It has always been Ford-like. No real deal at all. Now it's nice and weighted. Excellent feel and much smoother. Was not expecting anything like that. Bonus is the cylinder leak is barely a drip now after around 2 hours of use. Might improve even more with more use. I know many here will say 'snake oil' and to be honest I wasn't expecting much either, but this stuff actually worked. Give it a try. It may be all you need.

Reactions: Mrhp
I had a hyd cylinder seal start a pretty bad seep. Damn near a leak. Its F-ing cold out and needed to plow snow so I tried some Lucas power steering stop leak in the system. It took about 20 minutes of use, but my steering (orbital motor) suddenly became wonderful. It has always been Ford-like. No real deal at all. Now it's nice and weighted. Excellent feel and much smoother. Was not expecting anything like that. Bonus is the cylinder leak is barely a drip now after around 2 hours of use. Might improve even more with more use. I know many here will say 'snake oil' and to be honest I wasn't expecting much either, but this stuff actually worked. Give it a try. It may be all you need.
I have used Lucas products with good success. There is no mechanic in a can, but it usually helps.