Should I buy a JKU with the 3.8?

Owned a 2008 JKU with the 3.8 and currently own a 2016 JKU with the 3.6.

The two can't even be compared. The 3.8 is a complete piece of shit compared to the 3.6.

You couldn't pay me to own a 3.8 again. There's a reason those things are cheaper than nicely kept TJs in many cases.

My brother has 3.8 and is approaching 100k mark.
It runs smooth and has been trouble free, unlike rest of the little things in his Jeep.
Drives like i would expect a Jeep with automatic to drive.

It does burn oil, roughly 1q /3000 miles, which is a shocker for a TJ owner... but not for the rest of the world. Look up Toyotas 2.4l oil consumption, 3 quarts every 5000 miles is a norm.... pretty much everyone i know, drives something that burns oil. It either it burns and they know it, or it burns and they never check to know.

Change to 5W30 was an improvement compare to recommended 5w20. Will be switching to 10W30 oil, to see if that improves it even more.

Reactions: Hobbes62
Dang, if it's that blue one in the first post I'd buy it, especially if it's only got 30k miles for 15k.
If I had more money, I actually wouldn't mind having a JK as a daily beater and keep Big Red in pristine condition. 😆

I had the very same year JKU with a 3" lift and 37'' tires, manual 6spd, re-geared to 4.88(it was fine with this setup) for my driving it was perfect, and although the motor sucked oil and no one could find where it went, it was pretty trouble free otherwise. It wasn't a monster, but it also wasn't a dead dog. With the gearing and using your gears well I could stay at 70MPH to 75MPH all day without issues. Mileage was average Wrangler mileage with some days getting 20MPG on the HWY, and others 16mpg on average. Got better mileage with the hardtop on for sure.

If I had to get another one, I would. keep the tires at 35" and gear to 4.88 and have the engine actually tuned right.

Last edited:
I k no ow people hate the 3.8, I have zero experience with them.

I noticed I could buy a 07-11 JK cheaper than my TJR.

BUT, for $15k, if it makes her happy and you can afford it, do it. If the entire thing sucks that bad, I’m sure you can sell it easy for that kind of money.

or just spend 15k and swap it!