Should I buy this Ford 8.8 axle?

We are however, doing our best to break it down in smaller bits of information to digest and using shorter easier to understand sentences. (except for that one)

But, the best part of discussing stuff with anyone who has adopted a position is they will say anything to support that position and when it starts getting holes poked in it, then the name calling and insults start. Fun, but predictable. ;)
As frustrating as these types of threads can be, often times this is when a lot of helpful information comes out that others will appreciate.

My uncle runs a 14 bolt in his tj with 3/4 brakes, no other brake modifications and a Dana 60 front with stock 60 brakes. I’ve driven it on the street probably 100 miles total in my life and never locked up the rear axle ever. 2wd on the street. Running a 37”. It works better than stock.
Once again, your opinion and not factual

I suspect he has done a whole bunch of modifications to prevent rear lock up if they aren't locking up in 2wd because I get folks who bring me their rigs quite often to solve the same issue. So no, that isn't opinion, it's fact based on how often I've done it and what I know about brakes in a TJ and brakes in general.

Nice of you to fix your quote since you were being the quote police there for a bit.

I suspect he has done a whole bunch of modifications to prevent rear lock up if they aren't locking up in 2wd because I get folks who bring me their rigs quite often to solve the same issue. So no, that isn't opinion, it's fact based on how often I've done it and what I know about brakes in a TJ and brakes in general.

Nice of you to fix your quote since you were being the quote police there for a bit.
I said he has done no other brake modifications. Baffling.

Do you/have you run a Dana 35 or 8.8.

As frustrating as these types of threads can be, often times this is when a lot of helpful information comes out that others will appreciate.
I'd hope that others are not frustrated, I'm not and I enjoy them because you have to have all your ducks in a row to be relevant and staying in practice is not a bad thing.

I'd hope that others are not frustrated, I'm not and I enjoy them because you have to have all your ducks in a row to be relevant and staying in practice is not a bad thing.
I'm not. This is great. Keep doing what you are doing!

Blaine, I've been meaning to ask you, do you have a disc sander or belt sander that you'd recommend? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question; I'd like to be able to get more exact flat edges than I'm getting with an angle grinder with a flap wheel when dealing with brackets and thick stuff like 3/4".

Do you/have you run a Dana 35 or 8.8.

I do not run an 8.8 because I believe it is a dumb option for a TJ. I do however have a lot of friends that have run them in YJ's. About 12-14 years ago, they were very popular to swap in and all my friends had the same complaint. They would bend the stock axles and wind up with wobbling flanges that would be less than fun to swap out due to them being a C-clip style axle.

They got together and we had a pretty good chat about the issue so I got in touch with my friends at Superior Axle and Gear and asked them if they wanted me to build them a well done perfectly designed C-clip eliminator that any one could do in their driveway with simple hand tools. They replied in the affirmative so I designed the Superior Super 88 C-clip eliminator using Ford 9" Set 20 bearings, a simple bolt on housing end to carry them and a set of high strength 4340 shafts from Foote Axle and Forge. Yukon copied it exactly except for the Made In USA part and they call it the Ultimate 8.8 kit (IIRC on the name) In other words, I am intimately familiar with the nuances of the Ford 8.8 and as such, am capable of holding my own in any discussion about them. ;)

I have a Dana 35 in the 00., I have a RJ 60 in the 99, I have a TJ 44 in both 04's, and I have a Rubi 44 with the JK 44 gear set in it with an ARB in the 01.

A little as 2 years ago, we ran a Super 35 in a rear Dana 35 in my helpers TJ on 35's in Johnson Valley as a test and over the course of 20-30 trails, we didn't have a single issue with it.

Last edited:
Blaine, I've been meaning to ask you, do you have a disc sander or belt sander that you'd recommend? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question; I'd like to be able to get more exact flat edges than I'm getting with an angle grinder with a flap wheel when dealing with brackets and thick stuff like 3/4".
Feelings hurt much?
I do not run an 8.8 because I believe it is a dumb option for a TJ. I do however have a lot of friends that have run them in YJ's. About 12-14 years ago, they were very popular to swap in and all my friends had the same complaint. They would bend the stock axles and wind up with wobbling flanges that would be less than fun to swap out due to them being a C-clip style axle.

They got together and we had a pretty good chat about the issue so I got in touch with my friends at Superior Axle and Gear and asked them if they wanted me to build them a well done perfectly designed C-clip eliminator that any one could do in their driveway with simple hand tools. They replied in the affirmative so I designed the Superior Super 88 C-clip eliminator using Ford 9" Set 20 bearings, a simple bolt on housing end to carry them and a set of high strength 4340 shafts form Foote Axle and Forge. Yukon copied it exactly except for the Made In USA part and they call it the Ultimate 8.8 kit (IIRC on the name) In other words, I am intimately familiar with the nuances of the Ford 8.8 and as such, am capable of holding my own in any discussion about them. ;)

I have a Dana 35 in the 00., I have a RJ 60 in the 99, I have a TJ 44 in both 04's, and I have a Rubi 44 with the JK 44 gear set in it with an ARB in the 01.

A little as 2 years ago, we ran a Super 35 in a rear Dana 35 in my helpers TJ on 35's in Johnson Valley as a test and over the course of 20-30 trails, we didn't have a single issue with it.

Sweet. That’s wild you help design the eliminator. How much width does the c clip eliminator add to the wms?

Why put the 8.8 gear in the rubi housing? I’ve read the tubes and inner c’s are the weak areas.

What size tires were bending the 8.8 stock shafts? I hate the idea of the c-clip design as well.

You know, I don't unfortunately. I tried to and in fact did purchase a 6 x 60" belt grinder from Factory Authorized outlet. I did a lot of research and it seemed to be the best bang for the buck, well made, very flexible, both a belt grinder and straight line edge options at the same time, lots of horsepower, lots of surface feet per minute and designed for metal fabrication.

I had 2 issues. All of the descriptions showed the same thing as far as power and they were all like all the other listings for electrical. If it is for 1 phase, that is either mentioned or not mentioned because it is assumed it will be single phase. If it is not single phase, it will be listed as 3 phase power needed. All of that company's grinders are 3 phase but the description list some as 3 phase and don't mention it on others of the same exact model.

The grinder I ordered didn't come with a base. I ordered the base from another company separately by searching under the model number.

When the grinder base got here, it was beat to shit and damaged. Insult to injury, it was the wrong base. Company who sold it threw up their hands, walked away and told me to pound sand.

I got the other company involved, they understood their error, Fein's error, Lehigh's error and had the local Fein rep come to my house and pick up the whole mess for a full refund which I found to be very fortunate for me.

Feelings hurt much?

Yup. You know it. Take for example this piece. I just couldn't quite get it perfect with the angle grinder. Maybe it's partially due to my excitement when making these parts that I can't stay still and I end up rushing it, but either way the quality suffers slightly.
IMG_20181130_191704.jpg

Reactions: Serbonze
Sweet. That’s wild you help design the eliminator. How much width does the c clip eliminator add to the wms?

.900 per side and I had no help.

Why put the 8.8 gear in the rubi housing? I’ve read the tubes and inner c’s are the weak areas.

Weren't we discussing rear axles? Try and keep up. I put the larger gear set in the REAR Rubi housing because that was the only way at the time to get a thick cut 5.38 gear set to go with the 35's and the AW-4 I swapped into Kat's rig. I needed a thick cut gear set because it has a TJM air locker which only comes in the 3.73 and down carrier break.

What size tires were bending the 8.8 stock shafts? I hate the idea of the c-clip design as well.

35's.