Should I change my shocks?

UKTJ

TJ Addict
I currently run Blackmax shocks: 0 -2" lift front (B8516); 1-3" lift rear (B8518).

Looking at the front, the B8516's have a range of 13.5" to 22.3" for a total travel of 8.8". At ride height the shocks are at c.19", added bumpstops are 1" just stopping the shocks fully compressing, which therefore equates to 5.5" up travel and 3.3" down travel. From reading of other threads I read that people target a 50:50 up and down travel balance, clearly I am a way off that with c. 63:37. Should I be considering changing my shocks?

If the answer is yes, is there any knowledge of how much down travel can be achieved on OME 933HD 2" lift springs, before the spring is likely to unseat?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: UKTJ
I currently run Blackmax shocks: 0 -2" lift front (B8516); 1-3" lift rear (B8518).

Looking at the front, the B8516's have a range of 13.5" to 22.3" for a total travel of 8.8". At ride height the shocks are at c.19", added bumpstops are 1" just stopping the shocks fully compressing, which therefore equates to 5.5" up travel and 3.3" down travel. From reading of other threads I read that people target a 50:50 up and down travel balance, clearly I am a way off that with c. 63:37. Should I be considering changing my shocks?

If the answer is yes, is there any knowledge of how much down travel can be achieved on OME 933HD 2" lift springs, before the spring is likely to unseat?

Thanks in advance.

Ideally you should change shocks to get better travel bias. I don’t think you’re going to find a shock with that bias that allows the spring to unseat at any appreciable level. Of course, if you use a spring retainer at the lower perch it won’t solve the potential problem at the top.

Last edited:
Ideally you should change shocks to get better travel bias. I don’t think you’re going to find a shock with that bias that allows the spring to unseat at any appreciable level. Of course, if you use a spring retainer at the perch it won’t solve the potential problem at the top.

OK, so assuming I am looking to change the shocks for more balanced up and down travel, does this thinking make sense?

To get more down travel I need a shock that is longer when extended. In an ideal world I would be able to find a shock with the same compressed length, but more extension. But a quick look at the shock and spring resource thread shows that is not possible. Looking at the resource the two best options appear to be, either; 1) the Rancho RS55239 (14.6" - 23.8"), and 2) Blackmax B8525 for 4" to 6" lift (14.5" - 24.3). Tha Rancho would give 4.6" up travel and 4.8" down travel, the Blackmax would give 4.5" up travel and 5.3" down travel. Do thoose two options make sense?

I currently have only 1" additional bump stop in the front, but that is conservative as I probably only really needed 0.5". So either of the two options above would mean adding 0.5" to 1" of extra bump stop.

Does this all make sense?

OK, so assuming I am looking to change the shocks for more balanced up and down travel, does this thinking make sense?

To get more down travel I need a shock that is longer when extended. In an ideal world I would be able to find a shock with the same compressed length, but more extension. But a quick look at the shock and spring resource thread shows that is not possible. Looking at the resource the two best options appear to be, either; 1) the Rancho RS55239 (14.6" - 23.8"), and 2) Blackmax B8525 for 4" to 6" lift (14.5" - 24.3). Tha Rancho would give 4.6" up travel and 4.8" down travel, the Blackmax would give 4.5" up travel and 5.3" down travel. Do thoose two options make sense?

I currently have only 1" additional bump stop in the front, but that is conservative as I probably only really needed 0.5". So either of the two options above would mean adding 0.5" to 1" of extra bump stop.

Does this all make sense?

It makes sense.

I just went out and measured my sons White Sport with 933’s up front. He’s getting 2.5” lift and he runs Rancho 55239 with ~4.5” up. He has a 1.25” BL and has 2” bumpstop, which I confirmed was correct.

Your setup is virtually identical except my sons has a 1.25” body lift, which is 0.25” more than yours. You should be running more bumpstop. Measure the distance between the bumpstop and cup (not the jounce. It will compress into the cup).

If I were you I’d go with the Rancho 55239’s in the front. That is near perfect travel bias.

Reactions: UKTJ and Rickyd
It makes sense.

I just went out and measured my sons White Sport with 933’s up front. He’s getting 2.5” lift and he runs Rancho 55239 with ~4.5” up. He has a 1.25” BL and has 2” bumpstop, which I confirmed was correct.

Your setup is virtually identical except my sons has a 1.25” body lift, which is 0.25” more than yours. You should be running more bumpstop. Measure the distance between the bumpstop and cup (not the jounce. It will compress into the cup).

If I were you I’d go with the Rancho 55239’s in the front. That is near perfect travel bias.
i have 933's an 239's also with almost 2" bump. Get the same #s as you,its a good combo. The shock is close to bottoming out. I wouldn't do a longer collapsed length shock.

O.p. what is your lift height?

It makes sense.

Thanks so much for taking the time to check versus your son’s set up, very much appreciated.

i have 933's an 239's also with almost 2" bump. Get the same #s as you,its a good combo. The shock is close to bottoming out. I wouldn't do a longer collapsed length shock.

O.p. what is your lift height?

Apologies @Rickyd but somehow I missed your post. I have about 2.5" of lift. So a very smilar set up to @JMT 's son's TJ.

Reactions: Rickyd
Apologies @Rickyd but somehow I missed your post. I have about 2.5" of lift. So a very smilar set up to @JMT 's son's TJ.
No worries.

To answer your orginal question- set your bump stops to keep the tires out of the body.
-Then pull a coil or cycle suspension without shocks and measure free length.
-get shocks with more travel than the bump to free length distance and cut/weld mounts until those shocks can safely be stuffed in there. =max travel.

Its how i always set up non bolt on stuff.

If that doesn't sound practical then the 933 239 2" bump combo will get you the most for a bolt on setup