Should I change the entire exhaust or just the muffler?

Hey awesome Jeep peeps! As always wanna thank everyone for all the awesome tips! This forum is a godsend.

Underneath my TJ today (1998 4.0 manual trans) I noticed a crack in my muffler. Did some research and am pretty set on getting the bank’s monster exhaust! the muffler and tailpipe.

My question is, based on pictures should I just change the entire exhaust? (Downpipe, catalytic converter, clamps, 02 sensors etc.)

Jeep runs great and is not throwing codes. Flange studs were loose and caused a small exhaust leak a few months back but I’ve since tightened them up an it’s been fine. Jeep also has an aftermarket exhaust manifold installed by a previous owner.

I really don’t wanna mess with the 02 sensors. (If it ain’t broken don’t fix it type thing) the rust is all surface/classic exhaust rust. (Jeep has been in Texas it’s ENTIRE life, sorry to all my northern rust sufferers) and I don’t wanna have to drop the skid plate since my jack stands and floor jacks are far away from me at the moment. Jeep came with a body lift or spacers of some sort on skid plate so I’m thinking I have enough room to work.

So will I be fine just changing the muffler and tailpipe to the banks monster exhaust? Or should i just do everything if I’m gonna go banks route? Suggestions for downpipe and catalytic converters? Was just gonna do rock auto for those. Thanks a bunch y’all!

6566C2A0-1561-497F-8599-A5AEA7683685.jpeg

7C910B66-58C6-45FE-AE47-834C400BC6BC.jpeg

209351EB-F895-407F-885B-5FC4A60B4258.jpeg

F914BAF5-73F8-4547-8C11-F8FCD0B3527E.jpeg

A9D0FA22-9C94-41A9-9DF8-1D2A23E70716.jpeg

D3BA0075-19F3-4F1E-8702-DBA6F3CE6F96.jpeg

94C06262-AC71-4C05-BA89-1E1019877755.jpeg

E4AE1481-3AC9-45AC-BFFB-7AC1AD9B3B5F.jpeg

5D7929A5-0173-4309-B5F7-D032DA5D31A1.jpeg

305E646A-DFA3-48C1-BC17-E28AA69144C4.jpeg

If it were me, id take it to a muffler shop and pay $30 for them to add some weld to the cracked area. I also wouldn't recommend the banks monster, its really not all that. its bees in a can buzzy at higher rpms, though sound at a idle is a improvement over factory. its honestly not worth the price you purchase it for.

If it were my Jeep, I'd leave all the stuff that's still working fine. Especially the converter, that thing ain't cheap.

a converter aint cheap for sure! just happened to notice today that the OEM style flowmaster y pipe with 3 cats I purchased last summer for $320 off amazon is now listed for $1300 on amazon.

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and SvtLdr
the OEM style flowmaster y pipe with 3 cats I purchased last summer for $320 off amazon is now listed for $1300 on amazon.
You'll have that on them big jobs. Luckily the OP has a '98 which is a bit simpler with just the single cat.

Reactions: Irun
I wouldn't worry about it. If it's leaking there would be black residue around the crack. Fix it when you have problems. Exhaust is something you can ignore especially back there with no obvious signs it's leaking.

• Dislike
Reactions: Head Lice
Exhaust is something you can ignore especially back there with no obvious signs it's leaking.

Hmmmm…… I don’t quite agree with that. I had an exhaust leak in the vicinity of the rear cat and my wife got a pretty bad case of CO poisoning. After that, I had all the joints welded up and even welded the weep hole in the muffler. And I carry a CO detector.

Reactions: BlueC
Thanks for all the reply’s y’all!! I’ll prob have a local welder I know zip it up for the time being and when I get bored install some new exhaust! Thanks a bunch y’all and happy jeeping!

Reactions: SvtLdr
I think all you need is to weld it closed or replace the muffler.

Hmmmm…… I don’t quite agree with that. I had an exhaust leak in the vicinity of the rear cat and my wife got a pretty bad case of CO poisoning. After that, I had all the joints welded up and even welded the weep hole in the muffler. And I carry a CO detector.

Funny, I wonder how they determined CO poisoning from an exhaust leak under a vehicle in an open area. I guess you can pretty much say anything these days.

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
Well, let’s see. I was also in the vehicle when it happened. I saw the effect. I took the CO monitor from the camper and put it in the Jeep. It immediately went off. I found the leak under the Jeep, actually two leaks. So yeah I guess I can say pretty much anything these days.

I had an exhaust leak in the vicinity of the rear cat and my wife got a pretty bad case of CO poisoning.

I had one of my exhaust manifold bolts come lose a few years ago and that was enough to give us a headache on a few short (10 min) winter time trips, so yea exhaust leaks are important.

Reactions: TurboTJ
"a converter aint cheap for sure! just happened to notice today that the OEM style flowmaster y pipe with 3 cats I purchased last summer for $320 off amazon is now listed for $1300 on amazon."

ORDER PLACED
September 17, 2020
TOTAL
$290.61

Wow I am glad I purchased one back when we got the LJ, I just put it on the shelf with the rest of the spares I have picked up for the LJ.

The LJ just went up another grand in value.

Reactions: Succentor